Trumbo traded to Mariners

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'd prefer they sit tight. I especially don't want them to pull the trigger on a rental like Cueto.

IMO we might be an ace away from getting into the wild card game but we're several starters and about half a bullpen away from being a serious WS contender. Keep building internally. Don't make the mistakes of the previous regime and blow your wad trying to rush everything.

Hall was on Doug & Wolf this morning and specifically stated they are not interested in renting anyone. They love where they are at in terms of building depth across all positions and want to remain focused on building a sustainable winner. If they make any moves it will be with a longer term perspective in mind. Which should be music to all our ears...

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Hall was on Doug & Wolf this morning and specifically stated they are not interested in renting anyone. They love where they are at in terms of building depth across all positions and want to remain focused on building a sustainable winner. If they make any moves it will be with a longer term perspective in mind. Which should be music to all our ears...
I'm sure Hall is happy with where they are at and with their limited payroll. This team is coming together.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Sorry, no DH, you play both sides of the ball. NL catcher includes hitting.

Catcher and shortstop are primarily defensive positions. If Castillo and/or Tuffy can manage our pitching staff and block the plate well, all they really need to do is hit over the Mendoza line and I'm fine with them. Notice how we started winning when our pitching got better, right around the time Castillo came here? Not a coincidence

Some people need to remember this isn't the steroid era anymore. Don't get me wrong you look for upgrades but its not as important for everyone to hit as people make it

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I grew up watching Yogi play. That is my idea of a catcher. And he had great quotes. :)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up watching Yogi play. That is my idea of a catcher. And he had great quotes. :)

1. “It’s like deja vu all over again.”

2. “We made too many wrong mistakes.”

3. “You can observe a lot just by watching.”

4. “A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”

5. “He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.”

6. “If the world was perfect, it wouldn’t be.”

7. “If you don’t know where you’re going, you might end up some place else.”

8. Responding to a question about remarks attributed to him that he did not think were his: “I really didn’t say everything I said.”

9. “The future ain’t what it use to be.”

10. “I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids out of the house.”

11. On why he no longer went to Ruggeri’s, a St. Louis restaurant: “Nobody goes there anymore because it’s too crowded.”

12. “I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.”

13. “We have deep depth.”

14. “All pitchers are liars or crybabies.”

15. When giving directions to Joe Garagiola to his New Jersey home, which is accessible by two routes: “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”

16. “Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.”

17. “Never answer anonymous letters.”

18. On being the guest of honor at an awards banquet: “Thank you for making this day necessary.”

19. “The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.”

20. “Half the lies they tell about me aren’t true.”

21. As a general comment on baseball: “90% of the game is half mental.”

22. “I don’t know (if they were men or women running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads.”

23. “It gets late early out there.”

24. “Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?” -Carmen Berra, Yogi’s wife. “Surprise me.” – Yogi

25. “It ain’t over till it’s over.”
some of his best

bleedblue44

Reaction score
So far since the trade:

Castillo - 5 HR, 14 RBI, .289 BA, .929 OPS in 22 games
Trumbo - 1 HR, 5 RBI, .196 BA, .471 OPS in 26 games

Mea culpa to me who said Castillo was a light-hitting catcher!

Certainly not me...been trying to sell ya guys on Castillo since day one...he done even better than I expected...sadly Montero has done a bit worse than expected...but this was about needing some left handed bats and some veteran leadership...the Cubs didnt feel Castillo was that guy...but I never doubted he could be a stud...just keep him healthy

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Certainly not me...been trying to sell ya guys on Castillo since day one...he done even better than I expected...sadly Montero has done a bit worse than expected...but this was about needing some left handed bats and some veteran leadership...the Cubs didnt feel Castillo was that guy...but I never doubted he could be a stud...just keep him healthy

Unfortunately I don't think Montero is a leader. There was an "inside source" in the locker room for about 3 years who was throwing guys under the bus left and right, especially younger players. I feel almost certain it was Miggy. It had to have been one of the more entrenched players and really... no one on that roster besides him and Goldy were "entrenched" and I just can't see Goldy as someone who would kill his teammates behind their backs.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think Montero is a leader. There was an "inside source" in the locker room for about 3 years who was throwing guys under the bus left and right, especially younger players. I feel almost certain it was Miggy. It had to have been one of the more entrenched players and really... no one on that roster besides him and Goldy were "entrenched" and I just can't see Goldy as someone who would kill his teammates behind their backs.
Maybe that had something to do with the jettisoning of guys like Bauer & Skaggs or at least gave KT the ammo he needed to justify dealing them for Trumbo & Didi.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

glad you were right!

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far since the trade:

Castillo - 8 HR, 24 RBI, .279 BA, .931 OPS in 35 games
Trumbo - 3 HR, 13 RBI, .228 BA, .600 OPS in 43 games

Mea culpa to me who said Castillo was a light-hitting catcher!

Updated numbers as of today, since the trade

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave