Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get why people are skeptical of the religion--it's frustrating seeing people who have never ever knowingly met a Scientologist spout the same tired rhetoric and put down those that have evidence to the contrary.

For the record... I have. I watched Scientology grow from 15 second commercials on Channel 9 daytime TV that hawked "Dianetics" (which I read in the 9th grade to see what all the hype was about) to what it is today. I lived near the blue building in Hollywood. I used to say to them, "No, I'm not interested in a free personality test. I wasn't interested yesterday and I won't be interested tomorrow." Or cross the street to avoid being interrupted while I was going about my day, minding my own business.

I never had the desire to give a group of people thousands and thousands of dollars to be part of their religion. I could sit in the garden at the Self Realization Fellowship Temple on Sunset and meditate for free. No one tried to recruit me... or cared that I would sometimes sit there to read my Bible. Love that place~

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For the record... I have. I watched Scientology grow from 15 second commercials on Channel 9 daytime TV that hawked "Dianetics" (which I read in the 9th grade to see what all the hype was about) to what it is today. I lived near the blue building in Hollywood. I used to say to them, "No, I'm not interested in a free personality test. I wasn't interested yesterday and I won't be interested tomorrow." Or cross the street to avoid being interrupted while I was going about my day, minding my own business.

I never had the desire to give a group of people thousands and thousands of dollars to be part of their religion. I could sit in the garden at the Self Realization Fellowship Temple on Sunset and meditate for free. No one tried to recruit me... or cared that I would sometimes sit there to read my Bible.

I'm pretty much the same. Difference with me, is that none of my friends or relatives involved with the religion have ever tried to convert me or preach to me or anything. I've gotten much more from religions like Mormonism and Jehova's Witnesses.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm pretty much the same. Difference with me, is that none of my friends or relatives involved with the religion have ever tried to convert me or preach to me or anything. I've gotten much more from religions like Mormonism and Jehova's Witnesses.

I don't have any relatives who are Scientologists, but I've had co-worker/friends who were. They stopped inviting me to try Scientology after they heard (again) "You don't make enough money to be a Scientologist. I was with you when you bought your crappy couch, remember?"

When the EST people tried to recruit I said, "Be locked in a room and not allowed to go to the bathroom? Are you freaking kidding? Why would you willingly do that?" (I'm too practical for fringe religions.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rivercard

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
When the EST people tried to recruit I said, "Be locked in a room and not allowed to go to the bathroom? Are you freaking kidding? Why would you willingly do that?" (I'm too practical for fringe religions.)

You should join Scientology now just to get in there and cause some trouble :)

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You should join Scientology now just to get in there and cause some trouble :)

First day as an official Scientologist: "So what did y'all do with Miscavige's wife? Do I get to find out when you hook up the soup cans? I know there's a cost for that. Do you take a check? Don't cash it until Friday because it will bounce like Tom Cruise onto Oprah's couch."

OP
OP
Rivercard

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I know there's a cost for that. Do you take a check? Don't cash it until Friday because it will bounce

A) How about we take you down to the bank and get your credit card limit raised to $25,000 instead. Then you can max it out with your generous donation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave