Tristan Thompson?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Couple Ideas -

1 - sign Thompson to an offer sheet you think the Cavs won't match. Note - Thompson has a lot to improve in his game, but is young and has a great motor.

2 - We know Bledsoe is boys with Lebron - how about a sign and trade with the Suns getting Thompson and the Cavs getting Bledsoe?

(Note - I realize there is quite a bit of risk with either of these moves, but it would give us a more conventional lineup, and I don't see us getting a superstar elsewhere anytime soon)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in the right system, he will put up big numbers.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
If you could find a way to make it work financially I would be for trading Bledsoe for Thompson, just to help balance out the roster. And Thompson might be ready to break out.

I don't think this team will get anywhere with Bledsoe as the PG. Turnover machine who seems to have no real PG abilities aside from driving to the basket and kicking it out. Good player, but not a good fit IMO. I'd rather see them take a gamble on a young PF. Be it Thompson or someone else.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's if Love actually stays, then I don't see CLE matching.

Would love to deal Bledsoe but they have a maxed out Irving on the roster so I can't see that happening. Maybe MIA if Dragic bolts would be an option.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if Love decides to stay, I'd probably make that deal in a heartbeat. Let Knight run the point and you've built what could be a very big/defensive oriented frontcourt with Thompson/Len.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If you could find a way to make it work financially I would be for trading Bledsoe for Thompson, just to help balance out the roster. And Thompson might be ready to break out.

I don't think this team will get anywhere with Bledsoe as the PG. Turnover machine who seems to have no real PG abilities aside from driving to the basket and kicking it out. Good player, but not a good fit IMO. I'd rather see them take a gamble on a young PF. Be it Thompson or someone else.

That is just stupid.

Bledsoe is not going anywhere for such crap.

Thompson is not even better than Markieff and he turned down a 12M$+ per extension.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like there is a bit of knee jerk going on here over a few good playoff games.

I don't think Thompson would even be an upgrade over Morris... and I'm not crazy about Morris.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like there is a bit of knee jerk going on here over a few good playoff games.

I don't think Thompson would even be an upgrade over Morris... and I'm not crazy about Morris.

give me a legit 6'10 rebounding stud (both in the playoffs and throughout his career) and still young developing guy with good character over Keiff's scoring, atrocious rebounding and bad character any day of the week. Thompson could be a Horace Grant, which would be worth 12 million per in today's NBA with the cap going up.

hell, I'd throw Kieff into that trade with Bledsoe just to clear more cap space and get rid of his ********.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
give me a legit 6'10 rebounding stud (both in the playoffs and throughout his career) and still young developing guy with good character over Keiff's scoring, atrocious rebounding and bad character any day of the week. Thompson could be a Horace Grant, which would be worth 12 million per in today's NBA with the cap going up.

hell, I'd throw Kieff into that trade with Bledsoe just to clear more cap space and get rid of his ********.

You forgot about his defense (or lack there of)....

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Agreed. Is there risk involved in going after Thompson? Of course. That said, we would have a more balanced roster, and legit 4.

I just don't see a ton of options available to acquire a star, and if Thompson can improve his offensive game, perhaps he can grow into it.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Thompson is not going to propel this team out of the abyss, especially if you're considering trading Bledsoe to make it work.

This upcoming free agency class is so bleak, we're considering Tristan Thompson as one of the top options. Yuck.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thompson is not going to propel this team out of the abyss, especially if you're considering trading Bledsoe to make it work.

This upcoming free agency class is so bleak, we're considering Tristan Thompson as one of the top options. Yuck.

Al Jefferson or Enes Kanter would probably be top options in FA. Jefferson is a little older (30 years old) but he would solve rebounding need. Kanter would be a nice young piece to add and I doubt OKC can afford to keep him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Before playing with LeBron (who makes everyone look better) he looked like a reserve quality player on one of the worst teams in the NBA. Now surrounded by all-stars he passes for... maybe an average starter.

There is no way I'm going out of my way or giving up assets for that. He does not move the needle at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before playing with LeBron (who makes everyone look better) he looked like a reserve quality player on one of the worst teams in the NBA. Now surrounded by all-stars he passes for... maybe an average starter.

Before LeBron, he was a young guy averaging 11 ppg and 9 rpg. That's pretty solid for young big man with a lot of room to grow.

There is no way I'm going out of my way or giving up assets for that. He does not move the needle at all.

Bledsoe and his contract at this point are a NEGATIVE asset at this point, IMO and the Morri and their idiotic/underachieving double trouble attitudes/combo-contract aren't much better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Before LeBron, he was a young guy averaging 11 ppg and 9 rpg. That's pretty solid for young big man with a lot of room to grow.

Bledsoe and his contract at this point are a NEGATIVE asset at this point, IMO and the Morri and their idiotic/underachieving double trouble attitudes/combo-contract aren't much better.

Thompson is a limited athlete with little offensive ability, he is Markieff Morris with better rebounding and worse offense. He is not worth the effort.

The Morris brothers value has definitely taken a hit but no where outside of a faction of embittered Suns fans does Bledsoe and his contract hold negative value.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And don't mistake me, I have a strong dislike of the Morris Twins and I've never been much of a fan of Markieff's game in general. But Thompson does nothing for us. The last thing we need to be pursing as free agents are more borderline starters.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
no where outside of a faction of embittered Suns fans does Bledsoe and his contract hold negative value.

I don't know why people keep saying that. The Suns got Bledsoe on the cheap from the Clippers, then bid only against themselves when it came time to negotiate his extension. There has never been any competition for his services. He is at best an average starter at the deepest position in the league. To me his contract is right around value-neutral, but I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone who says it is slightly negative (or slightly positive).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know why people keep saying that. The Suns got Bledsoe on the cheap from the Clippers, then bid only against themselves when it came time to negotiate his extension. There has never been any competition for his services. He is at best an average starter at the deepest position in the league. To me his contract is right around value-neutral, but I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone who says it is slightly negative (or slightly positive).

He is a freak athlete and premiere defender, despite the grumblings here he is not a disaster on offense, he just isn't Dragic either, also the cap is about to go through the roof and he is on a pre-crazy-cap contract. He has value, positive value.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He is a freak athlete and premiere defender, despite the grumblings here he is not a disaster on offense, he just isn't Dragic either, also the cap is about to go through the roof and he is on a pre-crazy-cap contract. He has value, positive value.

This is a rebuilding team, and part of rebuilding is developing young talent like Bledsoe and adding pieces to surround him with. To maintain mediocrity would be to make impulse moves like trade Bledsoe. He's a very good player with much room to grow. My hope is the team trades up in the draft and goes after a legit forward.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
This is a rebuilding team, and part of rebuilding is developing young talent like Bledsoe and adding pieces to surround him with. To maintain mediocrity would be to make impulse moves like trade Bledsoe. He's a very good player with much room to grow. My hope is the team trades up in the draft and goes after a legit forward.

The problem is, they backed themselves into a corner by trading for Knight. If I had to pick between the two I'd rather stick with Knight since Bledsoe could bring back a decent player in return. (And I think Knight has the potential to be pretty good.)

On the other hand maybe the Suns really ARE hell-bent on sticking with a 2 PG system. It worked really well the first season. I'd still rather shop Bledsoe and get a decent player while balancing out the roster though.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thompson is a limited athlete with little offensive ability, he is Markieff Morris with better rebounding and worse offense. He is not worth the effort.

The Morris brothers value has definitely taken a hit but no where outside of a faction of embittered Suns fans does Bledsoe and his contract hold negative value.

you remember I'm NOT one of those "embittered" dragic fans, who still thinks Bledsoe isn't much of an asset, right?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you remember I'm NOT one of those "embittered" dragic fans, who still thinks Bledsoe isn't much of an asset, right?

I wasn't attempting to lump you in with the ones specifically angry about Dragic; there is no shortage of reasons for fans to have animosity.

I think it takes a view point that is overwhelmingly negative to start with in order to come away with the idea that Bledsoe, at his age and with his much desired skill set, on his pre-cap inflation contract, is a "negative" asset.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't attempting to lump you in with the ones specifically angry about Dragic; there is no shortage of reasons for fans to have animosity.

I think it takes a view point that is overwhelmingly negative to start with in order to come away with the idea that Bledsoe, at his age and with his much desired skill set, on his pre-cap inflation contract, is a "negative" asset.

a viewpoint that I've NEVER shown, have I? So... maybe you might want to rethink that.

as to Thompson being better because of James... I'd love to know how Lebron has effected his rebounding rate... where he continues to dominate and has always showed the ability to do so, both pre and post James coming to the Cavs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave