OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. Season will be here soon enough. Mike Shanahan has made much less talented QBs look like they belong in the NFL.

He definitely can make poop into a sandwich but that sort of wild inaccuracy against zero real rush or scheme is really something...

The start of their schedule is pretty cupcake so if he fails there...oof.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So strange because obviously they feel confident giving him the keys by letting Jimmy G seek trade, mixed signals

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trey almost beat us last year on a 50% competition rate game

And got himself wrecked in the process. I believe that will be the Trey Lance experience.

Defense will keep the game close. He will have to use his legs constantly and he won't last.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh. Season will be here soon enough. Mike Shanahan has made much less talented QBs look like they belong in the NFL.
Agree 100%. I'll wait until the season starts to start tracking how good or bad Lance actually is.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is why the Cardinals against Lance only won by 7.

Leading Rusher Rondale Moore 3 for 38 yards
Conner 10 for 29
Chase 6 for 15
Kirk 1 for 11
Kyler 7 for 1

We attempted 30 rushes for 94 yards. We only passed 31 times. Seems like Kliff was playing ultra conservative against a rookie. Prater missed a kick too

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
More reason the Cards need to run the football effectively like they can, but also commit to slowing the game down when they can, and the run is producing. Qbs like Mahomes and Lance get restless on the sidelines and then have a tendency to play street ball. This is going to determine a lot of the Cards. They often become predictable, beat themselves and can't finish...now if you run the ball that's finishing, that's balance. That's the way the Cards can follow through because we know the big throws, great wrs etc. This allows those shots, play action, etc to eventually be there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The alarming thing in that is if you look at the splits for last year, he kept the same data last year, Lance is MUCH worse this year than last year. The reason is obvious if you look at the notes, last year much of Lance's work in camp was against 2's and 3's, 2nd and 3rd string, this year it's against 1's, first string defense. So his 61.9 last year has fallen to 50 as the talent on defense improved.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt Mullens and Beathard completed 50% in practice.
He kept the data last year too. Jimmy G 63%, Trey 61.6(against backups), Sudfeld 66%, some guy named Rosen 54.8. no wonder Josh didn't stick there last year my goodness and you know that wasn't against starters for Josh.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Never thought much of Trey Lance coming into the NFL, but Kyle Shanahan is a great coach and I expect him to get the most out of him. What "most" means is TBD, but I certainly wouldnt call him "Tebow"

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never thought much of Trey Lance coming into the NFL, but Kyle Shanahan is a great coach and I expect him to get the most out of him. What "most" means is TBD, but I certainly wouldnt call him "Tebow"

He'll be much better than Tebow I agree but the alarming thing is his % is down almost 12% from last year in camp because he's now working against starters. And it's not like he's working against the best defense in the NFL either they have a bunch of starters out with injuries on their DL and DB's room.

They have to be somewhat concerned.

That said I've said all along I think Shanahan is a terrific coach for QB's and he'll do what he can to make Lance look good. But as others said the concern is Lance is going to have to run more than they want him to, in order to be effective so they better have taught him how and when to slide. Last year he clearly didn't have that and got banged up as a result.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
true, although Lance doesnt fit the traditional Shanahan mold

usually its a heady, pop-gun armed overachiever that can deliver an accurate ball over the middle

it will be super interesting to see how the 49er offense changes (or if it does)

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
It was an ugly game with several 4th down stops and Lance's parent crowd shots last year. But those 49ers have good lines on both sides of the ball and are overall a good football team capable of beating a team while only attempting 7 passes on offense. So as a result the Cards are going to have to play well. A big key..D give K1 and that O a couple more possessions by forcing turnovers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave