Trey McBride Mic'd up

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's so insane that 4 out of the 9 first round picks Keim has made have been MLBs or MLB converts, and none of them have really panned out.

Meanwhile, he's spent 0 first round picks and 1 2nd round pick on pass rushers, although he did trade a 2nd for CJ. It's such a backwards way to build a team under the guise of BPA.

He didn't need to use high picks on pass rushers in the past. He had Golden and Jones for most of his tenure.

It does highlight though that you don't NEED a CJ to be successful. Before he was Golden and CJ we relied on guys like Sam Acho, Lamarr Woodley, Matt Shaughnessy, Alex Okafor, Lorenzo Alexander, Kareem Martin etc. Those great teams of the BA years from 2013-15 didn't have great outside rushers. Largely didn't have good ones.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was a swing on a projection from a school that regularly produces good NFL TEs.

Niklas had all the makings of what we see from Maxx Williams. His ceiling was decent receiver, great blocker. We saw glimpses of that potential, but the kid couldn't stay healthy.

I'll never forget that training camp video of him stonewalling Campbell in blocking drills. It was one of those things the entire team gathered around to watch. I don't know what happened after that.

WeBlitz

Rookie
Reaction score
He didn't need to use high picks on pass rushers in the past. He had Golden and Jones for most of his tenure.

It does highlight though that you don't NEED a CJ to be successful. Before he was Golden and CJ we relied on guys like Sam Acho, Lamarr Woodley, Matt Shaughnessy, Alex Okafor, Lorenzo Alexander, Kareem Martin etc. Those great teams of the BA years from 2013-15 didn't have great outside rushers. Largely didn't have good ones.
Makes sense that it came back to bite us in the end. It highlights that more than anything. You absolutely NEED a Chandler Jones-caliber player to get you over the top when you just about have every other thing in place. It can get you by in the regular season without one, but playoffs? Good luck.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's so insane that 4 out of the 9 first round picks Keim has made have been MLBs or MLB converts, and none of them have really panned out.

Meanwhile, he's spent 0 first round picks and 1 2nd round pick on pass rushers, although he did trade a 2nd for CJ. It's such a backwards way to build a team under the guise of BPA.
More MLB picks than EDGE picks & equal the amount of 1st/2nd round TE picks than 1st/2nd round OL picks. Just awful roster construction. Keim & the guys that encourage him in that FO are stuck in 1997.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Makes sense that it came back to bite us in the end. It highlights that more than anything. You absolutely NEED a Chandler Jones-caliber player to get you over the top when you just about have every other thing in place. It can get you by in the regular season without one, but playoffs? Good luck.

That is demonstrably not the case.

Last year the Rams leading Edge rusher was Floyd with 9.5 sacks. Von had 5. Although it helps having Donald with 12.5.

The Bucs the season before last won the Superbowl with Shaq Barrett leading on 10 sacks. JPP had 2.5.

The year before the Chiefs won the SB with Chris Jones leading the way on 7.5 sacks from the interior. Frank Clark had 6, Alex Okafor was next with 3.

Pats won the SB the year before with Trey Flowers leading with 7.5 sacks. I can't recall in any of the superbowl season the Pats having a top end edge. In fact, they moved CJ on because they didn't want to pay top end edge money to one. Then did the same with Trey Flowers.

The Eagles won it with Brandon Graham leading on 9.5 sacks. Nobody else had more than 5.5.

The last time and team won it with more than 10 sacks from a player in a season was Von Miller in 2015 with 11.

Seahawks won in 2014 with 8.5 sacks from Bennett and 8 from Avril.

Ravens won in 2013 with 9 sacks from Paul Kruger leading the way and Ngata next with 5.

In the last 10 years nobody has won the SB with a CJ style 17-20 sacks a season on the Edge. 11 is the max, the average is about 8.5.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
More MLB picks than EDGE picks & equal the amount of 1st/2nd round TE picks than 1st/2nd round OL picks. Just awful roster construction. Keim & the guys that encourage him in that FO are stuck in 1997.
Yeah, I also don't love our roster construction. That said, McBride isn't terrible in a vacuum. actually a smart play, but when you ignore other key areas for years it is a tough pill to swallow when you just trade for and paid a 30+ TE for the next 3 years and drafted a #3 WR last year.

Just not much of a multi-year plan. You can't play Moore and McBride on the field together for at least one year and probably three years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Missed him today. OH WAIT, HE WAS AN INACTIVE SCRATCH. Could have used a defensive player with this pick
2nd round pick… where you already have a starter… with GLARING positions of need but he was SO GOOD we couldn’t pass on the talent…

Can’t even be ACTIVE for an anemic offense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Some of this is because McBride missed so much time in the offseason. That said, we are seeing the issue with drafting a TE after you have a vet TE on the roster who you like as a blocker and then another who you pay a large contract to as your pass catching TE. We aren't the Ravens rolling out 3 TE sets regularly.

I think I said this above but good player, poor roster plan.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Some of this is because McBride missed so much time in the offseason. That said, we are seeing the issue with drafting a TE after you have a vet TE on the roster who you like as a blocker and then another who you pay a large contract to as your pass catching TE. We aren't the Ravens rolling out 3 TE sets regularly.

Exactly, Romo pointed out that the Chiefs were using 3 TE sets regularly today and had really good results. So if we have to select the 3rd TE using our second-round pick 'cause he is so good to pass, KK has to at least play him and design some multiple TEs set.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trey McBride perfectly demonstrates the ineptitude of this regime. We just signed a veteran TE for 3 years. We have another fine one returning from injury. We have massive holes in the defense and O Line.

Keim drafts a TE.

Kliff can't get him on the field to contribute. The Chiefs score a touchdown on nearly every drive. Kliff is probably upset that Keim drafted this guy they didn't need who can't get on the field. Keim is probably upset because Kliff isn't playing the big bad TE he drafted as the offense struggles to sustain drives.

Total incompetence all around

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

What? No way! So many people scoffed at the time he missed and laughed when I said he wouldn't be ready for the season. You mean they were wrong? El shocko dismayo!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Last year was the year to take a 2nd round TE. Freiermuth was there for the taking. Instead, we took Rondale Moore.

Last 2 years in round 2, the Cards and Steelers have both taken a TE and a WR. Cards, two guys that didn't see the field. Steelers, Freiermuth and Pickens who both look to be big parts of their future.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly, Romo pointed out that the Chiefs were using 3 TE sets regularly today and had really good results. So if we have to select the 3rd TE using our second-round pick 'cause he is so good to pass, KK has to at least play him and design some multiple TEs set.

That was my biggest disappointment with the offense. Without D Hop and now Rondale I just assumed the plan was going to be multiple TE sets and try to run the ball and play more possession football. In the first half the only RB to get carries was Conner and he put up 2.6 YPC, Eno did ok in the 2nd half but the game was over.

I saw 2 TE I'm not sure I ever saw 3. The entire first half was like me thinking it was going to be run the ball use the TE's in the receiving game and it was the exact opposite multiple WR sets and them blitzing DB's because of the empty backfield and no fear of us running.