Trevor Bauer Traded For Didi Gregorius

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Oh boy...

Headstrong is a tough way to play hardball for Trevor Bauer: Bud Shaw's Sunday Sports Spin

Bauer gets so far into his own head he sometimes needs an orienteering map and compass to find his way out. He'll never admit that, because on top of being smart and self-assured, he's stubborn.

Not only did Bauer allow five runs in the first inning, he opened the game pitching out of the stretch -- something he hadn't done in Columbus. Manager Terry Francona told reporters Tony Arnold, Columbus' pitching coach, told him Bauer felt more comfortable throwing out of the stretch.

Bauer's performance was the shortest of straws for the Indians. He allowed five runs on six hits in two-thirds of an inning. Fortunately, it didn't cost them the game against a poor White Sox team. His post-game comments at least suggest he knew he'd put the bullpen in a terrible spot, blowing up in the first game of a doubleheader. That's what passed for a positive sign on this day.

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2013/06/headstrong_is_a_tough_way_to_p.html

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Oh boy...

Headstrong is a tough way to play hardball for Trevor Bauer: Bud Shaw's Sunday Sports Spin

Bauer gets so far into his own head he sometimes needs an orienteering map and compass to find his way out. He'll never admit that, because on top of being smart and self-assured, he's stubborn.

Not only did Bauer allow five runs in the first inning, he opened the game pitching out of the stretch -- something he hadn't done in Columbus. Manager Terry Francona told reporters Tony Arnold, Columbus' pitching coach, told him Bauer felt more comfortable throwing out of the stretch.

Bauer's performance was the shortest of straws for the Indians. He allowed five runs on six hits in two-thirds of an inning. Fortunately, it didn't cost them the game against a poor White Sox team. His post-game comments at least suggest he knew he'd put the bullpen in a terrible spot, blowing up in the first game of a doubleheader. That's what passed for a positive sign on this day.

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2013/06/headstrong_is_a_tough_way_to_p.html

The more I read about this guy the more I think he has Aspherger's Syndrome.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, who did the Reds get from Clevland in this deal.

Good to see DiDi making good strides this year already. Keep it up!

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Reds, who gave up Gregorius and sent outfielder Drew Stubbs to the Indians, received outfielder Shin-Soo Choo, infielder Jason Donald and cash considerations

In terms of Bauer, he definitely has some kind of psych issue going on. Its too bad cuz he has all the talent in the world to be an Ace pitcher

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I'll eat crow. For year one of this deal, Didi has performed above my expectations. I'm not going to call it a "win" yet, nor am I going to call it a "great trade." We'll have to check back here in four years and see what direction both careers take to make a conclusive grade of the deal. If it turns out to be a wash, I'll be ok with that.

However, I DO want to express that quite a few of us who had trepidations about this deal; who were adamantly against trading Bauer and who thought the "we have a surplus of starting pitchers" argument were on to something. Bauer may or may not have made a difference in the pitching woes. I'll lean towards no. However, the fact that the Diamondbacks are heading in to the deadline looking for more SP makes me think the "surplus" argument is for the birds.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'll eat crow. For year one of this deal, Didi has performed above my expectations. I'm not going to call it a "win" yet, nor am I going to call it a "great trade." We'll have to check back here in four years and see what direction both careers take to make a conclusive grade of the deal. If it turns out to be a wash, I'll be ok with that.

However, I DO want to express that quite a few of us who had trepidations about this deal; who were adamantly against trading Bauer and who thought the "we have a surplus of starting pitchers" argument were on to something. Bauer may or may not have made a difference in the pitching woes. I'll lean towards no. However, the fact that the Diamondbacks are heading in to the deadline looking for more SP makes me think the "surplus" argument is for the birds.

Not sure who was making the "surplus" argument??? That would be beyond ignorant as you would never trade a prospect like Bauer because of a surplus. He was traded because he is a Martian, period... Nothing more to it than that...

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, if Bauer ends up winning games, he won't be crazy. He'll be eccentric. But I don't think even Crash Davis could fix this kid.

You must be registered for see images

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
They traded Bauer because they needed an every day SS more than they needed an insane pitcher.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose