Trenton Bourguet Named "Spring Starter" Amid Open Competition for QB Spot

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

:grabs:

While Bourguet is quarterback No. 1 at the moment, Dillingham did make it clear that the position is open for competition.

“We’re going to play the best player,” Dillingham said. “I’ve told every single person that if you don’t want to come in here and compete to win the job, this is not the place you want to come to. … It’s going to be competitive, it’s going to be exciting but you better come to work every day.”

Offensive coordinator Beau Baldwin echoed ASU’s head coach.

“It’s going to be a great competition,” Baldwin said. “Trenton’s going to come out on day one of spring ball and he’s the starter. … He’s earned that and he’s a great player and a great young man. And I’ve gotten a chance to spend time with him. Where it goes from there, it’s just like any other position.

“I know a lot of people want to put stuff on the QB but at the end of the day, it’s going to be a competitive room. And we’ve got the right type of competitive people in that room to create that and that only brings out the best in all of us. And ultimately, that brings out the best in your team.”