Travis Etienne

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Etienne says his dream scenario is the Cardinals at 16.

I don't want a RB at 16 but the right trade back scenario I could be convinced

I was thinking the same thing. If the top tier WR's are gone and the two top CB's gone, trading back to the 20's and taking Etienne may not be a terrible idea.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love the guy’s game and love love love drafting players who want to be Cardinals. It’s rare that an early round guy actually names any team. I won’t be upset if we take him but I’d hope it was in a trade down scenario.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
5.4 ypc this last year sunk his stock

Liked him as a day2 guy last year but now he’s donotwant.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the sentiment but I'm really not an Etienne fan.

I challenge anyone to show me an ankle breaking cut, or a jump cut or really any kind of move from a running back you need to have at the NFL level. I just don't see the quick feet and lateral speed required. So much of what he does seems to be run fast in a straight line (or curved line) in to large spaces that scheme opens up for him. And he has a tendency to turn his back to contact.

I don't see great (or good) processing or vision. There's a bunch of examples where there's a huge lane to the left or a mass of bodies to the right and he just runs into his O line to the right.

I don't think he gets drafted anywhere near where people think he will and I don't rate him anywhere near Najee. I don't even think he's a top 3 RB as I can't see him in anything other than an OZ scheme.

Just my opinion :)

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
coaches take on Etienne (per the Athletic):

The Coaching Intel

“That dude made us look silly. It’s his burst. Whenever you think you’ve got the angle, he’s taking it away.”

“He reminds me a lot of Dalvin Cook, and I think he’s the best back the ACC has had since (the former FSU star).”

“He’s the best back in the ACC since Dalvin Cook. Dalvin was never trying to run over you; Etienne is gonna try and run you over. I thought he was more physical than Cook, and I liked how Etienne developed into such a good receiver. He couldn’t catch the ball as a freshman.”

“He really has great burst and just explodes through the hole. He runs bigger than you think and he’s very comfortable as a receiver.”

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's good but yeah 1st round RB I don't think so. RBs

Just going to keep saying Jermar Jefferson. Some people have him in the 3rd round, others later. I'd be tempted in the 3rd, if we had a 4th that would be perfect, i doubt he's there in the 5th. The knock on him is size and speed 5'10" 217 nobody really sure on the speed yet. The kid has great vision, in the games I saw especially Oregon he gets yards after contact and in lots of cases he gets yards after making someone miss entirely so no contact but guy was there and couldn't get a hand on him.

There are better RB's in the draft absolutely but I think he's going to be one of those guys who in a couple of years people think how did a guy that good fall that far.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Dalvin Cook was there at 41 then maybe Etienne will be there at 49. I desperately want a blue chip running back on a rookie deal.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's good but yeah 1st round RB I don't think so. RBs

Just going to keep saying Jermar Jefferson. Some people have him in the 3rd round, others later. I'd be tempted in the 3rd, if we had a 4th that would be perfect, i doubt he's there in the 5th. The knock on him is size and speed 5'10" 217 nobody really sure on the speed yet. The kid has great vision, in the games I saw especially Oregon he gets yards after contact and in lots of cases he gets yards after making someone miss entirely so no contact but guy was there and couldn't get a hand on him.

There are better RB's in the draft absolutely but I think he's going to be one of those guys who in a couple of years people think how did a guy that good fall that far.

Never seen him before. Just watched him some and I like.

Nothing wrong with his height, weight or speed. 5'10" 217lb is a good size for a RB and he's certainly not slow. Somewhere around 4.5 I'd guess which is fine for RB.

My first thought when watching him was he reminded me of David Johnson. The good version, not the bad one.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His ADP by fans is 29.

His ADP by analysts is 39 (and falling pretty fast the more really study him).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen him before. Just watched him some and I like.

Nothing wrong with his height, weight or speed. 5'10" 217lb is a good size for a RB and he's certainly not slow. Somewhere around 4.5 I'd guess which is fine for RB.

My first thought when watching him was he reminded me of David Johnson. The good version, not the bad one.

Yeah he had a terrific freshman year, then hurt an ankle and played hurt as a soph so he fell off the radar some. Had a very good junior year. IMO what makes a RB at the NFL level is vision, yes it's good to run a 4.3 or flatten tacklers like Henry but very few have that. Vision to see the hole or opening is huge, Jefferson has that and he's also really good at "getting small" when he has to so he can get through a crack.

He does run a bit upright which is probably the comparison to Johnson but obviously he's much smaller so not the same target.

I saw the Oregon game this year and thought holy crap. I've seen some bits of other games he's good. Not sure about receiving they didn't throw to him that much but I like what I see if it's 3rd round or later

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah he had a terrific freshman year, then hurt an ankle and played hurt as a soph so he fell off the radar some. Had a very good junior year. IMO what makes a RB at the NFL level is vision, yes it's good to run a 4.3 or flatten tacklers like Henry but very few have that. Vision to see the hole or opening is huge, Jefferson has that and he's also really good at "getting small" when he has to so he can get through a crack.

He does run a bit upright which is probably the comparison to Johnson but obviously he's much smaller so not the same target.

I saw the Oregon game this year and thought holy crap. I've seen some bits of other games he's good. Not sure about receiving they didn't throw to him that much but I like what I see if it's 3rd round or later

I don't think he's small at all. 5'10" is a reasonable size for a running back especially if he is around 220lb (he looks like it). His current draft EDP is 232, with a max of 182. He looks like a good low round pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose