Trade Idea: K Murray and #1 for D Carr, M Crosby, D Waller

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Murray is no longer untradeable, but I’m not asking for Carr in any package. I’d want a QB like Rodgers or Watson (only if legal stuff is settled in his favor) in a return package.
Not sure about Watson. You dont want Kliff to do any real coaching of a young player.

I'd rather get a guy like Rodgers who already knows everything. Kliff just has to worry about play calls and Rodgers would take care of the rest (Knowing when to audible out of it or not).

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Not sure about Watson. You dont want Kliff to do any real coaching of a young player.

I'd rather get a guy like Rodgers who already knows everything. Kliff just has to worry about play calls and Rodgers would take care of the rest (Knowing when to audible out of it or not).
Uh, I think it's safe to say Watson is no longer a inexperienced QB

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Uh, I think it's safe to say Watson is no longer a inexperienced QB
Still a young guy. Who can still be reckless on the field. Need someone who actually knows more than Kliff. That way his passive coaching style could be put to better use.

I think thats why Leftwhich was such a better play caller with Brady.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Still a young guy. Who can still be reckless on the field. Need someone who actually knows more than Kliff. That way his passive coaching style could be put to better use.

I think thats why Leftwhich was such a better play caller with Brady.
Watson is hardly associated with being reckless and at least on the football field is intelligent... your perception on him as a QB does not compute

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Watson is hardly associated with being reckless and at least on the football field is intelligent... your perception on him as a QB does not compute
He scrambles around and takes a lot of unnecessary sacks instead of getting rid of the football. Great talent for sure, but there are flaws. As such with being young. Just visit the Texans forum. Go even further back before he got in trouble.

I take Rodgers every time over Watson. Especially for our team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watson, Watt and Hopkins.

People want to be the perennial one and done 2016-18 Houston Texans... except with an old broken down JJ Watt instead of the Defensive Player Of The Year JJ Watt.

That’s what people are clamoring for?

Man... I fear this team is gonna be stuck in 5-9 seed purgatory for the next couple years.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
100% agree. Joe Burrow in his second season just got to the Superbowl. The Bengals were the worst team in the NFL a year ago. There are no excuses left for the Cardinals or Kyler Murray. Kyler should be better by now. I don't think Carr is necessarily the answer at all but I wouldn't be upset of the Cards go and get another QB in free agency or move up in the draft to get another one.
Exactly. All the "but we keep making incremental progress" mutterings don't take into account that this is the modern NFL. You don't get time to make baby steps improvements. If you get a top young QB (which we don't currently have--he might be able to turn it around, but let's face fact at this juncture), you can turn the team around quickly. The Bengals are the case study that puts the lie to a lot of baseless optimism around here.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Exactly. All the "but we keep making incremental progress" mutterings don't take into account that this is the modern NFL. You don't get time to make baby steps improvements. If you get a top young QB (which we don't currently have--he might be able to turn it around, but let's face fact at this juncture), you can turn the team around quickly. The Bengals are the case study that puts the lie to a lot of baseless optimism around here.
I don't think you're wrong but also do not think the progression one is wrong either. You can achieve success both ways, lighting in a bottle or a growing thunderstorm... our problem to both approaches is our overall drafting

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Watson, Watt and Hopkins.

People want to be the perennial one and done 2016-18 Houston Texans... except with an old broken down JJ Watt instead of the Defensive Player Of The Year JJ Watt.

That’s what people are clamoring for?

Man... I fear this team is gonna be stuck in 5-9 seed purgatory for the next couple years.
That's about what I see with Keim at the helm.

If you don't see the talent difference between the Cardinals and Niners....

Stout

Reaction score
I don't think you're wrong but also do not think the progression one is wrong either. You can achieve success both ways, lighting in a bottle or a growing thunderstorm... our problem to both approaches is our overall drafting
No you can't, not in the modern NFL. You don't get time to do it that way. Unless your GM is great at drafting so he can plug the massive holes that come open on a roster (like this offseason) you will quickly regress. Watch out for it next season, as our talent level will likely dip.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great, future HOF QB's who have been starting for 3 to 4 seasons usually show greatness by then. Kyler has been two sides of a coin and has yet to put together a complete season. Kyler just might another flashy running QB without the pocket presence to get it done unfortunately.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is a more interesting trade idea than many of you are giving credit. It won't happen, but it is very interesting.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The truth is, the “growing thunderstorm” is becoming archaic. You get a top QB and/or coach (or both) and teams turn around fast these days. Just look at the last 5 superbowls:

Cincy (burrows 2nd year; Taylor 3rd)
Tampa bay (Brady 1st year: arians 2nd)
KC (mahomes 2nd year; Reid 7th)
Rams (Goff 3rd year; Mcvay 2nd)
Philly (Wentz 2nd year; Pederson 2nd)

So it shows that reloading either the QB or the coach (and in some cases both) teams can go from “meh” or awful to the super bowl within 2 years of those major changes. It can be with a young QB (burrow, mahomes, Goff and wentz - though obvious caveat with wentz due to his injury, but that team still went to the super bowl under a second year head coach) or adding a ton Brady (kind of a unique situation, but maybe not so unique
with Manning getting Broncos there in 2nd season and with Rodgers maybe available). Or with a new coach (Taylor, mcvay, Pederson and arians getting their teams there within 3 seasons, 3 of which did it in two seasons, Reid the only outlier). True Super Bowl turnarounds happen quickly these days.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would make the trade for Crosby, Waller, and 2 first round, 1 2nd round, and 1 3rd round picks probably.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray isn't worth that much. I think if Keim went to the Raiders with an offer like this they would laugh at him and then hang up.

You saw what LA gave away for Stafford? He is definitely worth that much.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Murray haters are delusional and suffering from a prisoner of the moment mentality. The kid is a 24 year old star and you're acting like his entire career and trade value is determined by his most recent game, which was a total collapse of the entire team in every facet. Go watch his highlights from the 11 win season and take a Xanax.

Stout

Reaction score
Murray haters are delusional and suffering from a prisoner of the moment mentality. The kid is a 24 year old star and you're acting like his entire career and trade value is determined by his most recent game, which was a total collapse of the entire team in every facet. Go watch his highlights from the 11 win season and take a Xanax.
Right now he's shown nothing beyond flashy numbers and a propensity for collapsing and failing to finish seasons. He CAN become a star, but he certainly isn't one yet.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would make the trade for Crosby, Waller, and 2 first round, 1 2nd round, and 1 3rd round picks probably.
No way we even get those picks...let alone 2 star players.

We would be lucky to get Carr and a 1st for Kyler. Carr gets a lot of hate, but he's a good Qb. He's only 30...and he only is making 20 million, which is cheap for a good QB.

Had we done the smart thing and drafted Carr, we be a totally different franchise. Gone right from Palmer to Carr.

Dynomite

Veteran
Reaction score
Murray is such a farce, he is only going to get worse. I would do that trade in a heartbeat. I would bet he lost a lot of cred in the Lockeroom with his touch football mentality
I bet he hasn’t lost the locker room at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA