Total Dark-Side Thread

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If you change head coach it is obviously to get something new, so I would not go the route of a young, offensive, innovative, quarterback-guru (cough couch, Lincoln Riley, cough). Instead, I would target a team builder over a good play caller.

I would look to the college ranks again.

David Shaw from Stanford has been a popular name with NFL teams for many years, and even though his teams have done a little worse the last couple of years, I would still see him as a major coup to get as a head coach.

Matt Campbell from Iowa State was reportedly highly recruited by several NFL teams in the last two or three hiring cycles. He is a team builder first and foremost. A leader of coaches and players. He has had big success with “only” two minor college programs, yet, as I mentioned, are still very coveted which I guess should tell you something.

Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern has done a lot of the same as Campbell – been a highly successful architect of a very good program. Some years ago, both the Bears and the Packers wanted him.

My longshot joker would be Dabo Swinney from Clemson for the only reason that him and Steve Keim are very close friends. If they need to change coach, I doubt that Keim would be the one to make the hire, but I guess that is one of the reasons that this is my longshot choice.

P.S. From the NFL, my favorite would be Todd Bowles.

The chances of Matt Campbell leaving the Cyclones any time soon are slim and none. And I don't think he aspires to the NFL; If one of the top five college jobs opens at some point he might leave ISU, but he not money-driven in any way.

The fact that almost all seniors, something like 20 of 24 returned for another year speaks to the love his players have for him and his assistants.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The chances of Matt Campbell leaving the Cyclones any time soon are slim and none. And I don't think he aspires to the NFL; If one of the top five college jobs opens at some point he might leave ISU, but he not money-driven in any way.

The fact that almost all seniors, something like 20 of 24 returned for another year speaks to the love his players have for him and his assistants.
If he's not money driven, then the NFL may be for him...a lot of the top college coaches make way more than the average NFL coach...they get university money and booster money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I hear you, TR, but people said the same about Matt Rhule the year before he left for Carolina.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Kingsbury gets fired, Brian Daboll will be available and runs a 10 personnel heavy scheme with arguably a less talented offensive line.
After he turned Josh Allen from Trubisky with elite arm strength into Big Ben 2.0. And now turned the real Trubisky into Tony Romo this preseason I'm now sold
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Obviously kidding with the Trubisky/preseason stuff, but he's the guy if things go south.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If KK gets fired I would love to see the Cards get Todd Bowles as their HC. IMO he got a bad deal as HC with the Jets. He would build the Cards defense to be one of the best n the NFL and I'm sure he could find a good OC for Kyler. Just my two cents.
I do not know if there is enough 'bad deal' to say it was all on the Jets. We need to learn from other franchises doing the mistake work for us... great DC, but I do not want him as a head coach

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't hate Bowles as a HC. I am hesitant about any defensive HC but I think he would be ok. The cautionary tales are Zimmer, Fangio, and Bowles (the first time).

Since 2010, 6 of the 12 have been offensively focused HCs. 3 of 12 defensively minded. 1 ST. Also helps if you have a HOF QB.

If you're going to have a defensive HC (which I'm all for) then you need to ask who would this guy bring in as his OC? And sadly with Bowles I don't see anyone in his contacts list that would make a great OC.

The only decent guy he had at the Jets was Chan Gailey, who I'd actually be fine with as he's also a 10 personnel guy and runs a scheme that gives his QB's lots of freedom but he retired after last season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you ask a Vikings fan, no. I know a bunch and watch a lot of their games. They are competitive but feel the same as Seattle fans right now. Destined for an early exit in the playoffs because they are trying to sit on the ball and win playing great defense. Tough thing to do with today's rules.

Vikings wish they were Seattle.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you're going to have a defensive HC (which I'm all for) then you need to ask who would this guy bring in as his OC? And sadly with Bowles I don't see anyone in his contacts list that would make a great OC.

The only decent guy he had at the Jets was Chan Gailey, who I'd actually be fine with as he's also a 10 personnel guy and runs a scheme that gives his QB's lots of freedom but he retired after last season.
He’d prolly bring in Leftwich or Harold Goodwin.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No coach worth any salt will take Cardinals job if MB is going to keep Keim. Keim has to bring some one from Europe or China to coach cardinals. When that happens, 98.7 will be like Cardinals are at the front of revolutionizing NFL coaching!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Goodwin maybe. Why would Leftwich leave Tampa and rings for a team that canned him once?
Also the team that gave him his first chance? The opportunity to work with Kyler Murray for the next decade instead of Tom Brady for another year or two and then a shrug emoji?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does bringing a new HC matter if Keim is still the GM?

really? What HC worth a damn wants to come to a team who’s GM has been an utter failure for six years and could have a short leash with another losing season? We’ve already seen candidates we wanted to interview flat out turn us down even before the risky KK hire. We implode again, and a lot of really good candidates won’t want to play the role of Keim’s final Hail Mary.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
really? What HC worth a damn wants to come to a team who’s GM has been an utter failure for six years and could have a short leash with another losing season? We’ve already seen candidates we wanted to interview flat out turn us down even before the risky KK hire. We implode again, and a lot of really good candidates won’t want to play the role of Keim’s final Hail Mary.
Tbh I don’t know if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gotta add Kellen Moore. His hortizontal offense actually looks crisp when he uses it. Great use of motion as well.

If we're giving it another go with an offensive coach its

1. Daboll
2. Kellen Moore imo

I NEVER would have guessed Dak would be such a high productivity player 4 years ago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose