Top Gun: Maverick

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is partially true. The theater being setup properly is the #1 factor but for the last few years we've been seeing issues with studios nerfing bass in movies. A lot of movies are getting a huge roll off between 20 and 30 hz that kills the ULF. I have a project that's EQing the low end of movies to help counteract it. Since they're generally using a high pass filter for it the info is usually still there and can be restored with low pass filters.
A buddy of mine has a company that installs, maintains and upgrades sound equipment in theaters. He told me one time that about 80% of the theaters he has worked on were not calibrated correctly. I said that seems high and he said it was accurate.

Devilmaycare

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a company that installs, maintains and upgrades sound equipment in theaters. He told me one time that about 80% of the theaters he has worked on were not calibrated correctly. I said that seems high and he said it was accurate.

I completely believe that number. Most theaters that I go into I can hear something off. You can tell they haven't sat there for hours running REW sweeps and adjusting things to get a perfect response graphed. :)

And don't even get me start on the sound systems at clubs. I don't think I've been in one yet that I'm not appalled at how bad they have their sound systems set up. Last time I was at one in old town I had to leave over how triggered I was from the distortion coming out of the subs. ;)

Devilmaycare

Reaction score

Next time you're in Phoenix after it's out you can come watch it stoned again in my theater to see what you were missing. ;)

I miss the Cine Capri. I managed to get a marquee letter back when they were closing down.

Sweet that you got those. I miss the Cine Capri too. There was something magical about it that's missing from the new ones.

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top Gun’s looking at a 40 million dollar 4th weekend. That’s another unheard of drop of only 23% from last weekend.

That sucker is gonna gross 600 million domestic, easy.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top Gun’s looking at a 40 million dollar 4th weekend. That’s another unheard of drop of only 23% from last weekend.

I saw it again today

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bump… 44 million this weekend and an even more ridiculous 15% drop in weekend 4.

Devilmaycare

Reaction score
Bump… 44 million this weekend and an even more ridiculous 15% drop in weekend 4.

It's crazy that it's going to out gross MoM and has a legit shot at breaking a billion. I don't think anyone had those squares on their bingo cards. I bet they're really happy that they stuck to their guns and didn't sell the rights to Netflix, AppleTV+, or HBO Max when all three tried.

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's crazy that it's going to out gross MoM and has a legit shot at breaking a billion. I don't think anyone had those squares on their bingo cards. I bet they're really happy that they stuck to their guns and didn't sell the rights to Netflix, AppleTV+, or HBO Max when all three tried.
Cruise wouldn’t let them sell it or put on a streamer.

And it’s not only laying waste to everything this summer, but the only movie that has a prayer of beating it for the entire year is probably Avatar 2, and that would even be pretty damn surprising.

That said, betting against James Cameron is pretty risky at this point and I expect that movie to be a an absolute adventure-experience for the eyeballs.

What I wonder about Maverick is if it would have done anywhere near this well if it just came out in 2019, as originally planned. Back then, it would have just been the latest big blockbuster nostalgia play, but one mired in a sea of them. I think it would have done well, probably scratching 300 million domestic (which would have been Cruise’s best domestic ever), but I don’t think it’s the phenomenon it is right now.

I think the pandemic shutting so many people out of the theater and having so few GREAT BIG Movie theater movies for two years was a major boost for this movie. The fact that we had to keep waiting for it and then it actually being GOOD was almost too good to be true and in a time where things in general still suck, I think that part of the story of has carried this movie forward as well.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseyslayer