Top Decisions Moving Forward (Part I)

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Activate T.J. Logan asap.

* Keep Carson Palmer on the roster as long as the Cardinals are still in playoff contention.

* If the Cardinals are ever going to place value on special teams, this is the move to make. The return game has been woeful.

2. Getting the Swag Back on Defense.

* if the Cardinals have learned anything from the first 7 weeks, it's that they do not have the personnel, nor the proper coaching, to be effective in zone coverages. It's time to get back to being all-out aggressive in man coverage. At the same time, the Cardinals have to find creative ways to pressure the QB. Getting Haason Reddick to develop a spin move would be big. He has the quicks, but he is getting pinned too high at the top of the pocket arc.

* Sticky man coverage would allow the Cardinals to cover the misdirection, bootleg passes---as Deone Bucannon did nicely in London. However, it is finally time for James Bettcher to insist on his edge linebackers to play contain. Against SF, rookie C.J. Beathard is going to run an array of bootlegs, waggles and sprint outs. He is good at throwing off the run. This will be an immediate test of how disciplined the Cardinals can be off the edge.

3. Improving the Offense.

* Hard counts. Stanton performed those well in pre-season. Get Stanton, Gabbert and all players ready to do whatever it takes to make the defense off-balance.

* Encouraging Stanton and Gabbert to beat pressure with their legs. This is something BA is loath to do, but is an absolute necessity, otherwise the QBs will remain sitting ducks. Good teams like it when their QBs extend plays. QBs always have the option to slide, which is better than getting hammered on a sack. This should be coached up and insisted on.

* Run an array of combo blocks, slip blocks (to the second level) and angle drive blocks out of 1 RB 3 WR sets (without motion)...the 2-3 TEs sets have not worked all year, neither has the predictable motion of Fitz or Jaron Brown down to the edge to block (plus, it gives the defense an advantage of knowing when the ball is going to be snapped). Spread the defense out more for AP. Less clutter, more bread and butter.

* Out of the 1 RB 3 WR spread use J.J. Nelson and John Brown more regularly on reverses.

4. Improving STs.

* Get T.J. Logan back.

* Work with Phil Dawson to focus solely on the kicking spot and his timing. He's reacting too much to the snaps and the pressure. He's better off blocking everything else out.

* Get the most out of Justin Bethel and Budda Baker as gunners, and get Scooby Wright, Rudy Ford, Brandon Williams, Elijaah Penny, Ifeanyi Momah, Brittan Golden and others to make statement tackles on kickoff and punt returns.

* Have Andy Lee focus more on hang time than distance. Set a goal for starting and keeping a 42 yard net average on punts.

5. Coaching.

* Defer the coin toss. This year it is better to try to pin the opposing offense deep on the first drive, put the offense in good field position for its first drive and, better yet, give them the ball back on offense to open the second half.

* If Stanton is struggling, do not hesitate to insert Gabbert. This could energize the team because Gabbert has a better arm and he is more athletic.

* Enough of giving the starting QB "all the snaps" during the week. This is just plain stupid. Backup QBs sure seem ready to play versus the Cardinals. Flip this trend. Do it through diligent preparation.

* Employ a fullback more often. Isolation blocks on inside linebackers and/or taking out first threat of penetration can give an explosive RB like AP that extra second to find the crease and bust through it.

* Develop some game plans catered for the specific opponent and what they can do to exploit the other team's weaknesses. Start giving the players a tactical advantage. Enough of this" "we do what we do." Do what it takes to give the players a competitive edge.

Sorry that some of this sounds frustrated, redundant and didactic. But, let's not give up hope and let's not "go gentle into that good night." Let's "rage, rage against the dying of the light." Come on Cardinals. Get your heads out of your beaks and start spreading your wings. Give us something to be proud of.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd remove Palmer now. F it.

They could flutter around .500 and still be in PO contention til seasons end. Plus, he's going to be out at least 8wks, so at minimum he gets one more game? Maybe two if everything goes perfect. For what, to possibly send him into retirement?

I just don't see the value/reason of keeping him on the roster at this point, but that's above my pay grade.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I'd remove Palmer now. F it.

They could flutter around .500 and still be in PO contention til seasons end. Plus, he's going to be out at least 8wks, so at minimum he gets one more game? Maybe two if everything goes perfect. For what, to possibly send him into retirement?

I just don't see the value/reason of keeping him on the roster at this point, but that's above my pay grade.

I understand what you are saying, but adding another player to the roster who is just going to be inactive week after week anyway is pointless. I say do everything you can to hold on to whatever hope there is of turning this season around. I think the Cardinals can win games with Gabbert, if BA would make that move. I would be very excited to see what a mobile QB can do in BA's offense. Still, having Palmer on the roster as the inactive QB for as long as he's out, gives the team a possible security blanket.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but adding another player to the roster who is just going to be inactive week after week anyway is pointless.
But, that's the exact pickle they're in with Palmer. If this were, say, a 4wk injury sure.

I say do everything you can to hold on to whatever hope there is of turning this season around. I think the Cardinals can win games with Gabbert, if BA would make that move.
Many of us want Gabbert in, but BA will ride the Stanton pony for another 3-4wks only to realize he knows the ceiling with Stanton. I do believe Gabbert will start at some point; it's just a matter of when.

I would be very excited to see what a mobile QB can do in BA's offense. Still, having Palmer on the roster as the inactive QB for as long as he's out, gives the team a possible security blanket.
We saw flashes of it in the preseason and it's worth a look. I get that the team still has to aim for the PO's, staying positive, etc. Outside of Philly, the Rams and Seahawks, the NFC is wide open, but after 7 games we have a pretty good idea of what kind of a team the Cards are.

I'd be glad to be wrong, but it just doesn't seem like their year... For anything good.

And the D really needs its swag back.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good post Mitch. As much as I loathe the thought of watching Stanton play more I recall one of his strong points a couple of years ago was his mobility.

He has stopped using it. Gabbert also can move and this ability could be the difference between the offense being ok going forward versus a complete disaster. I am always envious of other teams QB's ability to avoid sacks.

I mean look at Wentz Monday night. Our offensive line has problems but let's face it, if they make a mistake it results in a sack. Palmer can't move at all. Will BA adjust with the new QB's?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good post Mitch. As much as I loathe the thought of watching Stanton play more I recall one of his strong points a couple of years ago was his mobility.

He has stopped using it. Gabbert also can move and this ability could be the difference between the offense being ok going forward versus a complete disaster. I am always envious of other teams QB's ability to avoid sacks.

I mean look at Wentz Monday night. Our offensive line has problems but let's face it, if they make a mistake it results in a sack. Palmer can't move at all. Will BA adjust with the new QB's?

I wanted so desperately for us to trade up to take Wentz, but we picked so late in the 1st round in 2016 that it made it virtually impossible.

Wentz has it all, PJ. I too am very envious of the "modern" dual threat QB and the play calling at the line of scrimmage. How smart was it of Doug Peterson to allow Wentz to incorporate his favorite plays at North Dakota St. into the Eagles' offense?

What BA doesn't seem to realize is that a mobile QB makes an offensive line and his head coach look a lot better. In recent weeks, BA has watched Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz and even Jared Goff score on his defense off simple read options. One would think that BA would get a little envious.

Plus. with a mobile QB, it forces teams to play zone, for fear of the scramble. Playing a single spy doesn't always work, because one guy is easy to beat.

I remember years ago when John Fox was at Carolina and he was preparing to play the Cardinals and he said that he did not want to see the Cardinals start Josh McCown because of the pressure he put on their defense with his legs. This was back before the current rage of running QBs. Fox said it would force him to play more zones than he would like.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
* if the Cardinals have learned anything from the first 7 weeks, it's that they do not have the personnel, nor the proper coaching, to be effective in zone coverages.

I have been really baffled by the Cardinals' decision to play much more zone this year than the last several. It has been horribly ineffective, yet they persist - one of the most frustrating things about this entire season.

* Have Andy Lee focus more on hang time than distance. Set a goal for starting and keeping a 42 yard net average on punts.
Makes sense. His gross average has been fine, but his net average awful. It's pretty routine for him to out-kick the coverage, yet they have not adjusted. Thanks, Amos!

* Enough of giving the starting QB "all the snaps" during the week. This is just plain stupid. Backup QBs sure seem ready to play versus the Cardinals.

Yeah that surprised me, especially in juxtaposition against last year's practice of having Palmer sit out one whole day of practice every week. Now they don't even have a single snap for the backup?! WTF?!?

let's not give up hope and let's not "go gentle into that good night." Let's "rage, rage against the dying of the light." Come on Cardinals. Get your heads out of your beaks and start spreading your wings. Give us something to be proud of.

:thumbup:

...dave

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch! So your telling me there's still hope. We get by SF, and we're by far the worst .500 team on the planet. :p

But seriously you come up with very viable observations. Hopefully the coaching staff can still reach these players and that they can implement something NEW in the bye week. Status quo isn't working. They have to commit to getting AP 20+ rushes. Can't abandon it right away like in London.

Getting Reddick to the QB consistently would be a GIANT STEP forward for this D.

They can only bring back two from IR. So Logan is on the outs.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch! So your telling me there's still hope. We get by SF, and we're by far the worst .500 team on the planet. :p

But seriously you come up with very viable observations. Hopefully the coaching staff can still reach these players and that they can implement something NEW in the bye week. Status quo isn't working. They have to commit to getting AP 20+ rushes. Can't abandon it right away like in London.

Getting Reddick to the QB consistently would be a GIANT STEP forward for this D.

They can only bring back two from IR. So Logan is on the outs.

Did the Cardinals place Palmer on the IR? If not, Logan is in.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, funny that you listed Logan as our #1 need. Because if our defense doesn't improve, we'll be returning a LOT of kicks. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA