Top 7 Players in the NBA Draft

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His words spoke for themselves. He does not believe in putting in the hours that other GMs have. You can try to spin it in any manner that you want, but his actual words spoke volumes. No narrative. Actual words.

“There’s a perception of what a GM is and what a GM does, that you have to log the hours and open up the laptop. I’ve never purported to be that guy.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/190...-jones-continues-daunting-task/?show=comments

if people literally can't read, not sure why you bother at this point.

WOOF!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cheesebeef

One can't argue with a quote but I thought James Jones was saying there is another way to do the job.

Only a guess but I think the above quote probably referred to how a GM like McDonough did his job. Basketball is more than analytics and stats. Burying one's head in a laptop doesn't mean the job is getting done.

Dealing with people is a big part of the job as well.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
@cheesebeef

One can't argue with a quote but I thought James Jones was saying there is another way to do the job.

Only a guess but I think the above quote probably referred to how a GM like McDonough did his job. Basketball is more than analytics and stats. Burying one's head in a laptop doesn't mean the job is getting done.

Yeah that quote could easily be construed as "Don't want to work long hours" or "Don't want to spend long hours digging through analytics on the computer". I tend to believe he meant the latter and I would be completely fine if he did.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah that quote could easily be construed as "Don't want to work long hours" or "Don't want to spend long hours digging through analytics on the computer". I tend to believe he meant the latter and I would be completely fine if he did.
Yeah. I took it the second way too. It would not make sense for a guy who wants the job to say that he wants it, but he doesn’t want to work hard. I took it as contrasting what he believes is important with what McD did. He is more about watching and dealing with people face to face.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
@cheesebeef

I love that you and chap overtly ignore the first concept he states:

“. . . that you have to log the hours . . . “

It doesn’t say “log the hours on a laptop.”

It clearly states “log the hours and open a laptop.”

Those are two distinct concepts he’s addressing. Hours. Laptop. You have made a leap that is not a literal reading of actual English. It’s an interpretation. Whereas those of us reading his actual words don’t have to make an interpretation because words have meaning. He’s clearly stating I don’t believe I have to put in the hours that GMs do.

I’m frankly dumbfounded that you guys continue to argue against his own words. Now it’s possible he misspoke, but without a clarification from him it’s much likely he meant the words he actually said than an interpretation you have to come up with to apologize for him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Those are two distinct concepts he’s addressing. Hours. Laptop. You have made a leap that is not a literal reading of actual English. It’s an interpretation. Whereas those of us reading his actual words don’t have to make an interpretation because words have meaning. He’s clearly stating I don’t believe I have to put in the hours that GMs do.

I’m frankly dumbfounded that you guys continue to argue against his own words. Now it’s possible he misspoke, but without a clarification from him it’s much likely he meant the words he actually said than an interpretation you have to come up with to apologize for him.
It’s just that it is so highly unlikely that that is what he actually MEANT by those words. But yes. That is what he said.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Again you’re interpreting it in his favor rather than reading is actual words.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s just that it is so highly unlikely that that is what he actually MEANT by those words. But yes. That is what he said.
I disagree. Arians said the exact same thing when he became a head coach. I think we would all be better off if we took people at their actual words. And if they misspoke force them to clarify. Conjecture is what leads to the majority of misunderstandings. And right now you guys are engaged in conjecture . . . even if it’s in his favor.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Yes. A General Manager who openly doesn't like a part of the responsibility, no matter which part, is less than a complete General Manager.

Especially one who does not have the resume for the top job. Does anyone think Jones has the experience to know what he is talking about?

Another shot in the dark by Sarver, who surrounds himself with unqualified people whom he can keep under his thumb. A loser's mentality.

The proof? The Suns have been losers for almost a decade. That is not opinion. That is fact! And the beat goes on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't question the literal interpretation. There is not any issue with that.

This was my attempt to interpret what I thought James was trying to say.

I think Jones is saying that he will spend his time differently than perhaps the previous General Manager.

Hopefully that is developing the team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
@cheesebeef

Exactly.

It's one thing to read, it's another to COMPREHEND what is being said. That includes context but also other things. He's never been a guy who is purported to be a "traditional" GM, or what a GM is thought to be. That's what he said.

Is it really that hard to understand that, at the time, Trevor Buckstein was also made co-GM? JJ is the player guy, Buckstein the Analytics guy. Not that hard to understand.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't question the literal interpretation. There is not any issue with that.

This was my attempt to interpret what I thought James was trying to say.

I think Jones is saying that he will spend his time differently than perhaps the previous General Manager.

Hopefully that is developing the team.
I don’t quibble with the desire for your interpretation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm hoping Jones' strength is evaluating players and dealing with other GMs, coaches and players. The Suns have the personnel that can do the technical stuff.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Exactly.

It's one thing to read, it's another to COMPREHEND what is being said. That includes context but also other things. He's never been a guy who is purported to be a "traditional" GM, or what a GM is thought to be. That's what he said.

Is it really that hard to understand that, at the time, Trevor Buckstein was also made co-GM? JJ is the player guy, Buckstein the Analytics guy. Not that hard to understand.
Without going back and rereading I think you got it wrong. Buckstein was the contracts guy not analytics.

And “comprehension” is understanding the exact words as stated. What you’re doing is attempting to “interpret.” Words have different meaning. Using them correct does wonders for accurate communication.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, we can't really know for sure without asking him for clarification. Anyone want to do it?
Haha. In the absence of that I choose to read his actual words and go with their meaning within the English language. Everyone can, and will, do otherwise if they so desire.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haha. In the absence of that I choose to read his actual words and go with their meaning within the English language. Everyone can, and will, do otherwise if they so desire.
Just did. Who knows? I might get an answer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Draft Lottery on May 14th cannot come quick enough.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Exactly.

here's a perception of what a GM is and what a GM does, that you have to log the hours and open up the laptop. I've never purported to be that guy," Jones says. "I think it would diminish what Trevor does. He's a star when it comes to the cap, scenario planning, contracts and negotiations. And he's been really good the whole time he's been here. We have different responsibilities. My primary focus has been to manage and improve the performance and relationships within our different units: our coaching, performance team, development. The players -- that has been my focus."

As I stated, Buckstein is not the “analytics guy.”

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
here's a perception of what a GM is and what a GM does, that you have to log the hours and open up the laptop. I've never purported to be that guy," Jones says. "I think it would diminish what Trevor does. He's a star when it comes to the cap, scenario planning, contracts and negotiations. And he's been really good the whole time he's been here. We have different responsibilities. My primary focus has been to manage and improve the performance and relationships within our different units: our coaching, performance team, development. The players -- that has been my focus."

Lets say your interpretation is correct. What exactly is your problem with James Jones? That he's NOT an analytics guy? Because he certainly is FAR from being someone who doesn't want to do the duties of a GM.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is exactly what I want James Jones doing.

The Suns were really lacking in this area especially communication with players under McDonough. Drafting and free agency was a weakness as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lets say your interpretation is correct. What exactly is your problem with James Jones? That he's NOT an analytics guy? Because he certainly is FAR from being someone who doesn't want to do the duties of a GM.
I don’t so much have a problem with jones . . . yet. His current track record, as I detailed in another thread, is about even to me right now. So I’m neutral on him. If he fails I’ll struggle with him saying he didn’t believe he had to put in the hours (you know, the “you have to log long hours” comment). That speaks to a lack of the same motivation and drive and dedication that other top GMs have evidenced.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve actually never commented on analytics at all.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave