Top 10 busts since 2000

AZCARDSFANATIC

Veteran
Reaction score
Reaction score
Umm this list is worthless, first off to even say Alex Smith is a top 10 bust since 2000 means these guys didn't do their homework. There are allot of #31 picks in the draft who kinda suck, Woods is just one of them. Leinhart..... oppurtunity means allot so not sure if he belongs there.

I believe they were all guys drafted in the top ten each year.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe they were all guys drafted in the top ten each year.

It looks like it the biggest bust in the first round of each draft from 2000 to 2009 and not all were drafted in the top 10.

BTW, I love how Matt's picture is the only one that isn't related to football, though I suppose that point could also be argued for Andre Smith's pic. :shudder:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Lol....it doesnt even show our busts in Cardinal uniforms.

Hell, it doesnt even show Matty in ANY uniform.

At least Bryant is wearing a Badgers uniform

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Didn't someone make an "action figure" of #7, only instead of playing football he was on the sideline, holding his helmet? :bang:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It all began with a contract holdout. By Week 4 of his rookie season, Kurt Warner took over and never looked back. Some say Leinart failed to work at his game hard enough. Some say he had the wrong attitude. Whatever he did or did not do, Leinart was a bust. Let’s not forget that Leinart was one of the most dominant college football quarterbacks ever when he left for the NFL. But he never seemed to make it work after being drafted. He spent the 2010 season backing up Houston Texans QB Matt Schaub and is currently a free agent.

Um... good research?

Seriously, I hope that Vernon Gholston gets more regard as a terrible, terrible draft pick. Maybe people are used to OSU guys spectacularly washing out, but the guy couldn't get one sack that would have earned him some five million dollars guaranteed.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Courtney Brown was injured, therefore I don't consider him a bust. The Andre Smith choice was stupid, he's been injured and in the league for 2 years. Any list that doesn't have Russell as the #1 bust is worthless.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Um... good research?

Maybe people are used to OSU guys spectacularly washing out, .
You mean 1st round washouts like:
Orlando Pace
Eddie George
Shawn Springs
Nick Mangold
Chris Gamble
Santonio Holmes
Nate Clements
Antoine Winfield
Will Smith
Donte Whitner
Ryan Pickett
Michael Jenkins
AJ Hawk
Malcolm Jenkins
Terry Glenn
Robert Smith
Joey Galloway

or are you basing it on the 4 that have been busts :confused::
Gholston
Carpenter
Ginn
Boston(and he still made the pro bowl)
Katzenmoyer and Gonzalez have been/ were injured.

I would say the first list all have had pretty good NFL careers, but nice blanket statement with no research.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You mean 1st round washouts like:
Orlando Pace
Eddie George
Shawn Springs
Nick Mangold
Chris Gamble
Santonio Holmes
Nate Clements
Antoine Winfield
Will Smith
Donte Whitner
Ryan Pickett
Michael Jenkins
AJ Hawk
Malcolm Jenkins
Terry Glenn
Robert Smith
Joey Galloway

or are you basing it on the 4 that have been busts :confused::
Gholston
Carpenter
Ginn
Boston(and he still made the pro bowl)
Katzenmoyer and Gonzalez have been/ were injured.

I would say the first list all have had pretty good NFL careers, but nice blanket statement with no research.

Yes, if you go back 10 or 15 years there have been a lot of good Ohio State players, but let's not whitewash the last decade's first- and second-round picks:

2009 1 14 14 Malcolm Jenkins Saints DB
1 31 31 Chris Wells Cardinals RB

2 3 35 James Laurinaitis Rams LB
2 4 36 Brian Robiskie Browns WR
2008 1 6 6 Vernon Gholston Jets DE
2007 1 9 9 Ted Ginn Jr. Dolphins WR
1 32 32 Anthony Gonzalez Colts WR
2006 1 5 5 A.J. Hawk Packers LB
1 8 8 Donte Whitner Bills DB
1 18 18 Bobby Carpenter Cowboys LB
1 25 25 Santonio Holmes Steelers WR
1 29 29 Nick Mangold Jets C
2005 2 15 47 Mike Nugent Jets K
2004 1 18 18 Will Smith Saints DE
1 28 28 Chris Gamble Panthers DB
1 29 29 Michael Jenkins Falcons WR
2003 2 26 58 Mike Doss Colts DB
2002 2 12 44 LeCharles Bentley Saints C
2001 1 21 21 Nate Clements Bills DB
1 29 29 Ryan Pickett Rams DE
2000 1 24 24 Ahmed Plummer 49ers DB
1999 1 8 8 David Boston Cardinals WR
1 23 23 Antoine Winfield Bills DB
1 28 28 Andy Katzenmoyer Patriots LB
2 18 49 Joe Montgomery Giants RB

It's almost easier to highlight the names of guys who have lived up to their draft position.

Reaction score
It looks like it the biggest bust in the first round of each draft from 2000 to 2009 and not all were drafted in the top 10.

BTW, I love how Matt's picture is the only one that isn't related to football, though I suppose that point could also be argued for Andre Smith's pic. :shudder:

You are correct Jersey. All but 2 were top ten. I got 80% right. :D

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Courtney Brown was injured, therefore I don't consider him a bust. The Andre Smith choice was stupid, he's been injured and in the league for 2 years. Any list that doesn't have Russell as the #1 bust is worthless.

They aren't ranked by how big a bust they are. It is just listing the biggest busts by year and even stats that Russell is likely the biggest bust of all time.

AZCARDSFANATIC

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, if you go back 10 or 15 years there have been a lot of good Ohio State players, but let's not whitewash the last decade's first- and second-round picks:

It's almost easier to highlight the names of guys who have lived up to their draft position.
I have issue with two of these.
Jenkins has been in the league 2 years, he had a very good year last year, but injuries hurt the Saints late and in the playoffs. He is way better than you give him credit for.
Bentley was a freaking stud with the Saints and then got broke in Cleveland and never came back, the fact that you put him like this is downright awful.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Put me on record as saying

Matt's career is far from over. He will pan out to be a very good qb in some teams system. I'd bet the farm that under Tom Brady and in New Englands system he would thrive.

Matt will make many people eat their words...or I'll give you all one free years subscription to this site.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

1 31 31 Chris Wells Cardinals RB
2 3 35 James Laurinaitis Rams LB
2 4 36 Brian Robiskie Browns WR
2008 1 6 6 Vernon Gholston Jets DE
2007 1 9 9 Ted Ginn Jr. Dolphins WR
1 32 32 Anthony Gonzalez Colts WR
2006 1 5 5 A.J. Hawk Packers LB
1 8 8 Donte Whitner Bills DB
1 18 18 Bobby Carpenter Cowboys LB
1 25 25 Santonio Holmes Steelers WR
1 29 29 Nick Mangold Jets C
2005 2 15 47 Mike Nugent Jets K
2004 1 18 18 Will Smith Saints DE
1 28 28 Chris Gamble Panthers DB
1 29 29 Michael Jenkins Falcons WR
2003 2 26 58 Mike Doss Colts DB
2001 1 21 21 Nate Clements Bills DB
1 29 29 Ryan Pickett Rams DE
2000 1 24 24 Ahmed Plummer 49ers DB
1999 1 8 8 David Boston Cardinals WR
1 23 23 Antoine Winfield Bills DB
1 28 28 Andy Katzenmoyer Patriots LB
2 18 49 Joe Montgomery Giants RB

C'mon you're smarter than this, at least I thought you were.

Calling anyone a bust who has been in the league for 2 years is pretty premature. Also, it's hard to call 2nd round picks busts. There's a reason 32 passed over them at least once. I don't count guys like Katzenmoyer, who was starting as a rookie for Belichick, a bust, because he had a career ending neck injury.
Injuries ended Ahmed Plummer's career but he still lasted 6 years, the last 2 hit and miss.
Gonzalez has had knee issues from day 1.
LeCharles Bentley was considered among the top OL in the entire NFL until knee injury/staph infection ended his career.
AJ Hawk starter from day 1 and key defensive player on a SB wining team, yep, that's a bust :doi:.
Listing Ryan Pickett as a bust is just plain stupid. The guy has been a starter/key rotational guy for 10 years.
Same goes with Michael Jenkins. The guy has been starting since 2005. H's not a superstar, and maybe that's your criteria,that every 1st round guy must be superstar or bust, but he's been a solid starter.
Hell, even Mike Nugent was the starting kicker from day 1 until injuries ended his effectiveness in NY. He was solid for the Cards and Bengals until he was again injured.
I also wouldn't call a 2nd rounder who started 15 games as a rookie a bust. That's what Doss did. He's not a bust but was average at best.
Joe Montgomery, I don't even know he got drafted. He had a devastating knee injury at OSU. I think he tore all 3 ligaments against Illinois.

so, actually, counting the 2nd rounders, the bust % went down even further. Thanks for helping make my point.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My measure wasnt busts, Cbus; it was guys who lived up to their draft position. Read the post and somehow defend AJ Hawk being the fifth overall pick in his class.

OP
OP
D

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
My measure wasnt busts, Cbus; it was guys who lived up to their draft position. Read the post and somehow defend AJ Hawk being the fifth overall pick in his class.

To be fair *most* first round picks don't live up to their draft positions. A small percentage of players in the league ever are worth what most first round picks make in salary.

I imagine you could look at all the schools that put a lot of players in the NFL and see similar results.

Miami (FL)
USC
Texas

All have tons of guys who "didn't live up to their draft position."

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To be fair *most* first round picks don't live up to their draft positions. A small percentage of players in the league ever are worth what most first round picks make in salary.

I imagine you could look at all the schools that put a lot of players in the NFL and see similar results.

Miami (FL)
USC
Texas

All have tons of guys who "didn't live up to their draft position."

I'm not even talking about salary; I'm talking about opportunity cost. There's a reason why ILBs aren't usually taken in the Top 5 picks, and rarely in the top 10; they don't make a consistent impact on the game. Similar to a TE or safety or offensive guard.

From my list, I would say that seven of them are outright busts (if you want to exclude 2009 that's fine): Ginn, Gonzales, Carpenter,, Nugent, Plummer, Katzenmoyer, Montgomery (5 starts his rookie year, 0 the rest of his pro career). Hawk, Jenkins, Doss (never became a full-time player), Pickett and Plummer (have) never lived up to the expectations of the teams that drafted them. So of 21 players drafted in the first two rounds in a nine-year period, 11 have been real disappointments for the teams who drafted them.

IMO that stems from OSU being a massively talented team in a garbage conference. That's sort of the definition of "overrated".

I agree with you about Southern Cal, although I don't think that Miami(FL) is on that level as a program any longer.

Want to play the game with Southern Cal? 2000-2009:

2009 1 5 5 Mark Sanchez Jets QB
1 15 15 Brian Cushing Texans LB
1 26 26 Clay Matthews Packers LB
2 6 38 Rey Maualuga Bengals LB
2 24 56 Fili Moala Colts DT
2008 1 7 7 Sedrick Ellis Saints DT
1 9 9 Keith Rivers Bengals LB
1 21 21 Sam Baker Falcons T
1 28 28 Lawrence Jackson Seahawks DE

2 8 39 Chilo Rachal 49ers G
2 17 48 Fred Davis Redskins TE

2 32 63 Terrell Thomas Giants DB
2007 2 13 45 Dwayne Jarrett Panthers WR
2 19 51 Steve Smith Giants WR
2 27 59 Ryan Kalil Panthers C
2006 1 2 2 Reggie Bush Saints RB
1 10 10 Matt Leinart Cardinals QB
2 7 39 Winston Justice Eagles T
2 9 41 Taitusi (Deuce) Lutui Cardinals G
2 13 45 LenDale White Titans RB
2005 1 10 10 Mike Williams Lions WR
1 31 31 Mike Patterson Eagles DT
2 5 37 Shaun Cody Lions DT

2 13 45 Lofa Tatupu Seahawks LB
2004 1 20 20 Kenechi Udeze Vikings DE
2 20 52 Jacob Rogers Cowboys T
2 30 62 Keary Colbert Panthers WR
2003 1 1 1 Carson Palmer Bengals QB
1 16 16 Troy Polamalu Steelers DB
2000 1 29 29 R. Jay Soward Jaguars WR
2 6 37 Travis Claridge Falcons G

Since I was hard on OSU guys, I'm going to be hard on Southern Cal's. I think that guys like Shaun Cody and Fred Davis are solid players, but I'll give Cbus the benefit of the doubt.

I count 18 players out of 31 picks in the first two rounds (!). Maybe a little more than half, but is that mitigated at all by the fact that the players who did work out are multiple Pro Bowl performers? I mean, Chris Gamble is a solid cornerback, but do you count him the same as Troy Polamalu?

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
. Maybe people are used to OSU guys spectacularly washing out.

I was responding to this comment. Which is just not true.
I guess I can kind of see your point though. Perception-wise, I thought USC was alot worse when it comes to busts. After seeing the list, they are not nearly as bad as I would have thought.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
List is hogwash! Smith is no where near a bust and the writer even contradicts himself by first saying any one still in the league isn't a big time bust then places Smith on the list.

I agree any player who washed out because of injuries does not belong on a bust list. Injuries happen and cut a career short. Nothing you can do about them.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my gosh. Public nudity at its worst.

You must be registered for see images

freebyrd

Reaction score
wendel bryant tainted me so much everytime we look at another badger i think of his sorry ass and say no!
nobody from wisconsin!