Tommy Lloyd is the Guy

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Took Robbins five days to get his head out of his ass and pull the trigger.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Comes from a good program. Seems to be the right age. Like that he can recruit euro. Hope he puts together a good staff that can recruit the hell outta SoCal.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect you'll keep Simpson too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like a good hire. Maybe contract negotiations prolonged the process.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this hire a lot more than some U of A former player who’s got no business coaching at this level yet.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I suspect you'll keep Simpson too.

He gone... Kriisa entered the portal but there’s a solid chance he’s back. The big one is Akinjo who I don’t love as a player but he’s a legit PG.

Idk what Lloyd’s staff will be but it sounds like it won’t include Terry. Maybe he takes another Gonzaga guy but they’ll be in on a bunch of transfers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He gone... Kriisa entered the portal but there’s a solid chance he’s back. The big one is Akinjo who I don’t love as a player but he’s a legit PG.

Idk what Lloyd’s staff will be but it sounds like it won’t include Terry. Maybe he takes another Gonzaga guy but they’ll be in on a bunch of transfers.
Yeah unfortunately akinjo was exactly what he was for Arizona that he was for the Hoyas. A disappointment.

I’d think he would want some connection to Arizona history on his staff, but maybe that’s creating a successor over the shoulder scenario that’s best avoided for a new coach unconnected to the program.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It seems like a good hire. Maybe contract negotiations prolonged the process.
I read UA tried to get cute and got played by Musselman who leveraged an extension to stay at ARK which is what he wanted all along.

UA is lucky Lloyd didn't just tell them to f off and withdraw his name.

I assume he won't be able to bring Brian Michaelson who is a hot HC candidate himself.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read UA tried to get cute and got played by Musselman who leveraged an extension to stay at ARK which is what he wanted all along.

UA is lucky Lloyd didn't just tell them to f off and withdraw his name.

I assume he won't be able to bring Brian Michaelson who is a hot HC candidate himself.

I think Lloyd was the right choice all along. Arizona ended up getting the best candidate.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Lloyd was the right choice all along. Arizona ended up getting the best candidate.
I agree but they could have very easily have lost him had they continued playing games. He was obviously the best candidate from get go (Musselman wasn't leaving ARK) waiting this long was a mistake, luckily it seems Lloyd really wanted this job.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree but they could have very easily have lost him had they continued playing games. He was obviously the best candidate from get go (Musselman wasn't leaving ARK) waiting this long was a mistake, luckily it seems Lloyd really wanted this job.

Yeah. Once I heard Tommy Lloyd was available I kept asking why are they waiting. Not getting Musselman is likely a blessing in disguise.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Robbins and Heeke may have cost us at least three of our players from the roster with their stunt.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately akinjo was exactly what he was for Arizona that he was for the Hoyas. A disappointment.

I’d think he would want some connection to Arizona history on his staff, but maybe that’s creating a successor over the shoulder scenario that’s best avoided for a new coach unconnected to the program.
Akinjo was first-team all-conference. A disappointment he is not. Would probably be the biggest loss we suffer

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Big mistake... should have hired Brase.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Big mistake... should have hired Brase.
Part of the reason this process took so long was because alum were throwing out other alum who were frankly unqualified for the position, such as Brase, Simon, Pastner, and Damon. People have to accept that you’re not qualified to coach at a place like Arizona because you had a cup of coffee with Lute one time

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting. There's 2 kids announcing Friday that UCLA is heavily involved with. Myles Johnson the Rutgers transfer it's UCLA or Stanford, he's admitted to Engineering at both, we think it's 60-40 Stanford but many think UCLA leads. If he picks UCLA there's no ride for Simpson. And Dylan Andrews in the next class who UCLA thinks they lead for and will probably get, announces Friday.

So I guess we'll see but IMO it's a bit unlikely he goes to UCLA, so unless UA just doesn't want him with Lloyd, he may wind up staying there.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Interesting. There's 2 kids announcing Friday that UCLA is heavily involved with. Myles Johnson the Rutgers transfer it's UCLA or Stanford, he's admitted to Engineering at both, we think it's 60-40 Stanford but many think UCLA leads. If he picks UCLA there's no ride for Simpson. And Dylan Andrews in the next class who UCLA thinks they lead for and will probably get, announces Friday.

So I guess we'll see but IMO it's a bit unlikely he goes to UCLA, so unless UA just doesn't want him with Lloyd, he may wind up staying there.

Not sure where you're getting the confidence that KJ isn't going to ask for a release from his NLI. It's been the worst-kept secret the past week that he's seriously considering it and will likely ask for it within the next 48 hours. I think UCLA was his dream school, but it never offered, which is why he pulled the trigger on Arizona. He wanted to play for Miller. You may be right about scholarship numbers for UCLA, tbh, I'm not familiar with what your scholly situation looks like. Who knows, but I'm simply not counting on KJ being a Wildcat.

Although rumors are that we're gonna make TyTy Washington's Top-5 and make a serious run at him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting the confidence that KJ isn't going to ask for a release from his NLI. It's been the worst-kept secret the past week that he's seriously considering it and will likely ask for it within the next 48 hours. I think UCLA was his dream school, but it never offered, which is why he pulled the trigger on Arizona. He wanted to play for Miller. You may be right about scholarship numbers for UCLA, tbh, I'm not familiar with what your scholly situation looks like. Who knows, but I'm simply not counting on KJ being a Wildcat.

Although rumors are that we're gonna make TyTy Washington's Top-5 and make a serious run at him.

The Ty Ty stuff is on UCLA boards too but we're being told Kansas leads and that he's also considering pro options now.

We've been told Simpson wanted to go to UCLA but Cronin doesn't offer if he hasn't seen you in person, couldn't due to Covid, so he picked UA. now he wanted out, and wanted to go to UCLA. But it looks like IF UCLA gets Myles Johnson, there's no ride for him, and even if they don't get Johnson, if they get Dylan Andrews in the next class it's believed Simpson probably wouldn't take a UCLA offer because Simpson wants to play PG in college and if he picks UCLA he comes in behind Tyger for at least 1 year(he might not play his RS Senior year next year might be his last) and then he'd be competing with Andrews the following year who most believe is better than Simpson.

NOw maybe he has other schools too so if UCLA isn't going to happen he goes somewhere else but we've been told for a couple of months now he was probably going to decommit because he wants to come to UCLA and it looked like UCLA was going to take him if he did. That all changed with the FF run and the idea that it's entirely possible UCLA won't have rides.

If Juzang leaves then he has a ride but that won't be likely known until June and nobody thinks Simpson will wait that long.

If UA thinks they can get Ty Ty then yeah Simpson might still leave. Otherwise if I'm him and I think it's possible both Akinjo and Kriiza leave, or likely one of them does, I'd probably consider staying with UA so I get to play more. But who knows you might be about to load up on transfers with a new coach both kids leaving and coming in where Simpson will be recruited over.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Akinjo was first-team all-conference. A disappointment he is not. Would probably be the biggest loss we suffer
Down year for pgs in the conference. His numbers are almost identical to his Hoya numbers, the team didn’t achieve much, and watching him play was just as inconsistently uninspiring as he was at Georgetown. Disappointing overall career for his hype.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UCLA got both Myles Johnson and Dylan Andrews(22) so unless Juzang leaves, there's no ride for Simpson at UCLA.

We're being told he might not leave UA they haven't granted the release yet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose