Tom & Jerry

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Beloved? It's not? Seriously, I don't know anybody I grew up with that didn't love Tom & Jerry. I would say that fits the definition. Having said that, Stout isn't the target audience as you stated.

We watched it and were pleasantly surprised. It's not going to get mistaken for a Pixar movie but it was entertaining and the kids really liked it. They also brought back some of the gags I remembered as a kid.

I really don't see a problem with it.
Who said anything about a problem? Stout tore the movie down because it was a "beloved" property of his youth. I disagreed -- it has some longevity, but it certainly isn't a Disney short and doesn't have the societal significance of Looney Tunes (which I find does fit the term "beloved").

Outside of that, getting mad they are making a Tom & Jerry movie is a tempest in a teacup. Kids will like it and that is all that matters. I think in a roundabout way, we sort of agree in that there is nothing wrong with doing this with kids movies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with most here that Tom and Jerry was pretty beloved. That said, I find it funny anyone’s ire really being raised by this.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was growing up there was a heated debate amongst kids my age between Looney Tunes or Hanna-Barbera. I loved both but HB usually won the argument in large part due to T&J. Kids that went to the movies often but didn't get to watch much Saturday Morning TV always brought up the Disney cartoons but for TV viewers, it was HB or Looney Tunes.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who said anything about a problem? Stout tore the movie down because it was a "beloved" property of his youth. I disagreed -- it has some longevity, but it certainly isn't a Disney short and doesn't have the societal significance of Looney Tunes (which I find does fit the term "beloved").

Outside of that, getting mad they are making a Tom & Jerry movie is a tempest in a teacup. Kids will like it and that is all that matters. I think in a roundabout way, we sort of agree in that there is nothing wrong with doing this with kids movies.

I didn't say YOU had a problem with it.
Gotta agree with most here that Tom and Jerry was pretty beloved. That said, I find it funny anyone’s ire really being raised by this.

Agreed. Who knew Tom & Jerry was so controversial. :lol:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah. I think if you asked any person our age, every single of one of them would at least know Tom and Jerry, if not enjoy them on a regular basis.

I mean... what’s the definition of “beloved” I guess. It’s an odd thing to argue about considering how recognizable they are in the public domain.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It's not just Tom and Jerry but you guys might like this thread on twitter. I thought it was great.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave