Today’s Rumor (03/22) - Cards are making Indy sweat it out

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Wouldn't today's rumor and Friday's rumor (Indy Rumor from a Good Source - Cards not active in Free Agency due to trading down) constitute as the same rumor?

Look, I'd like more picks as much as the next guy but if the Colts give up their entire draft (rounds 1,2,&3) to gamble on QB #3 and QB #3 ends up sucking bigfoot balls then the Colts GM is done dot com - I know I wouldn't risk my job like that - especially when Lamar Jackson makes a more sense

And if the Colts do land Lamar, it will probably be the Ravens picking at #4
Just elaboration. Fair point

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno. If you're being offered a second and third to move down one spot, I'm taking that. The risk that the Colts decide it's not worth the risk and sign someone like Lamar is worth that potential reward of getting, like, a 2024 first from someone picking in the top 10 but outside the top 5 but not getting the third rounder this year.
I agree. If its their 2 and 3 Im jumping on that so long as their GM gives a gentlemans nod that he aint taking our guy.
This isnt the best draft, but it lines up well with our team needs in the first three rounds. we could do a lot of good with an extra 2 and 3

then if they really want to sell out... they could still trade 4 to a team willing to take the 4th QB

but an extra 2 and 3 while still getting Anderson is an absolute no brainer

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. If you're being offered a second and third to move down one spot, I'm taking that. The risk that the Colts decide it's not worth the risk and sign someone like Lamar is worth that potential reward of getting, like, a 2024 first from someone picking in the top 10 but outside the top 5 but not getting the third rounder this year.
I’m taking it if it’s just a 2nd. There’s a chance we might get offers to trade the 4 th pick.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Yup, seems like a no brainer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are you feeling if Anderson is selected #2 and we traded down to the 4th pick. Are you still okay with that?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I believe this is the mindset of the Cardinals.
I would trade down to 4 if we could resign him when the time comes and have him for 10 years. It just seems that at that point some other team offers crazy money and we lose out on him. Otherwise, I would get all the draft picks for him that I could and see what the new inexperienced GM can do. Hopefully, work some magic. Wouldn't it be great to have a GM who could draft?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
What if the Colts aren’t sold on QB #3? Very possible Especially given the draft capital it’s going to cost. Hmmm. Exactly why I said a few weeks ago, don’t be shocked if Lamar Jackson gets plucked for those 2 first rounders. Are the Ravens sold on him? They did make him available with the non exclusive tag

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What if the Colts aren’t sold on QB #3? Very possible Especially given the draft capital it’s going to cost. Hmmm. Exactly why I said a few weeks ago, don’t be shocked if Lamar Jackson gets plucked for those 2 first rounders. Are the Ravens sold on him? They did make him available with the non exclusive tag
No way you’re giving up #4 plus next year’s 1st for Lamar on top of giving him a massive contract. The Colts have way too many holes to go all in bad division be damned

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Honestly, If I'm running the Cardinals, I don't make a trade until I'm on the clock.

Make them BELIEVE that we are considering trading down and that they might miss out on their target.

Generally, teams in the top five have zeroed in on the guy they think they are going to get.
Honestly I don't make that trade if I'm Indy until the cards are on the clock. Who knows what could happen between now and then. They guy you're chasing tears his ACL before the draft? Meaning you can get your guy much later.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
No way you’re giving up #4 plus next year’s 1st for Lamar on top of giving him a massive contract. The Colts have way too many holes to go all in bad division be damned
I had the same thought. If you go after LJ then you have no first rounders for two years and a hefty contract to pay. I loved LJ coming out that year but he plays a risky game. Drafting a QB this year is cost control and you still have all your picks next year.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I wasn’t necessarily talking Colts getting LJ but I’ll play.

Look what Carolina just gave up to move to #1. Look what the Lambs gave up to select Goff. Look at what the Skins gave up to select RGIII etc. I’m not a big Jackson fan because of his inconsistency as a passer, but compared to the trades above it’s a steal. You tell me which is cheaper.

Again, we don’t know if the Colts even like QB#3, QB#4 or QB#5 right now. If they don’t there’s definitely no trade with the Cards at #3! They have options & a cheaper option in draft capital is paying Lamar & giving away just 2 picks

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Honestly I don't make that trade if I'm Indy until the cards are on the clock. Who knows what could happen between now and then. They guy you're chasing tears his ACL before the draft? Meaning you can get your guy much later.
If he tears his ACL you don't draft him at all.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How are you feeling if Anderson is selected #2 and we traded down to the 4th pick. Are you still okay with that?
I'm not trading up for a non QB in the top five.

Would it have been better for the Cardinals to get Von Miller over Patrick Peterson? Sure, but not give up multiple assets better.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yes, because if it’s Indy they still go QB and the Cards could move down again. No way to control the second pick. If Anderson is gone there are lesser players who could still contribute.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would trade down to 4 if we could resign him when the time comes and have him for 10 years. It just seems that at that point some other team offers crazy money and we lose out on him. Otherwise, I would get all the draft picks for him that I could and see what the new inexperienced GM can do. Hopefully, work some magic. Wouldn't it be great to have a GM who could draft?
Personally, I think we trade down further than 4. I believe that come draft time Bidwill, Monti, and Gannon will want a "win" and getting a draft pick haul will do that for them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Personally, I think we trade down further than 4. I believe that come draft time Bidwill, Monti, and Gannon will want a "win" and getting a draft pick haul will do that for them.
Yes. If the goal is to win the media game and make sure that you have four first- and second-round picks to stand around with you on Saturday, this is exactly what will happen.

We're gonna trade a dollar for two quarters, two dimes, and three nickels and hope no one notices.

Fans love draft picks and will defend them even if they do nothing as rookies or are so bad early they literally have to be taken off the field.

This is job security for a front office.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes. If the goal is to win the media game and make sure that you have four first- and second-round picks to stand around with you on Saturday, this is exactly what will happen.

We're gonna trade a dollar for two quarters, two dimes, and three nickels and hope no one notices.

Fans love draft picks and will defend them even if they do nothing as rookies or are so bad early they literally have to be taken off the field.

This is job security for a front office.
And there are franchises who have enough organizational stability where they can trade down and get maximum value out of those additional picks. I don't believe we are at that point as an organization especially in an off-season where our scouts spent the year scouting for a scheme that we no longer use. Our scouts have spent the year scouting defensive players for a 3-4 scheme and soft-zone CBs. Now, we are a month and a half into a 4-3 scheme and the team has to try to translate those notes into 4-3 fits.

The other issue is that there are so many roster holes or just talent deficient groups that a trade down looks best because holes are being filled with hope.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose