Today’s Rumor (03/22) - Cards are making Indy sweat it out

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If cap hit is king why was you bagging on him as being overpaid last year when his cap hit was only $3.9m?
To be accurate I think those bagging on Connor’s contract last year were begging in the entirety of the contract, not just year one.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The biggest problem with Keim is that he often gave out contract extensions to confirm how smart he was with the previous contract/finding value earlier.

James Conner's 2021 contract was genius and a great value.

Brit has declared that there was no way Conner was going to come back in 2022 for less money than he ended up getting.

That's not really an argument for overpaying him, IMO. Paying RBs a third contract(!!) is a dumb decision almost 100% of the time, especially after their career year. Connor was never going to be able to outperform that contract; he could only play up to it.

He hasn't done that.

This is a Keim problem. Jermaine Gresham got an insane second contract. David Johnson and Tyrann Mathieu got insane extensions coming off injury. Zach Ertz got an insane contract extension.

Hopefully these types of deals are done.
Agree 100%

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
The biggest problem with Keim is that he often gave out contract extensions to confirm how smart he was with the previous contract/finding value earlier.

James Conner's 2021 contract was genius and a great value.

Brit has declared that there was no way Conner was going to come back in 2022 for less money than he ended up getting.

That's not really an argument for overpaying him, IMO. Paying RBs a third contract(!!) is a dumb decision almost 100% of the time, especially after their career year. Connor was never going to be able to outperform that contract; he could only play up to it.

He hasn't done that.

His yardage stats for rushing and receiving were similar in 2021 and 2022 but he had 18 TDs in 2021 and only 8 in 2022. I thought Keim overpaid him after 2021 and I think your bolded statement is dead on.