TJ Warren

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What happened to the board, no TJ Warren thread???

The guy has taken a leap I dont think any of us saw coming. He is legit our second best player at the moment, only 23, and the crazy thing is was not even one of the young core people mentioned.

If this is not fluke, he can legit have at least a caron butler in his prime career, if not better.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I love watching Warren play. He's unorthodoxed but smooth and I love the way he moves without the ball. I'm also happy he hasn't gone 3 happy and jacking them all the time. He does just enough to keep defenders honest but has all these moves and quick releases that make him so effective around the rim, despite being an average athlete. I think I still enjoy watching Booker more but it's close!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would say he's been our best player this season. I'm not sure any other Sun has played better so far, game in and game out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew Warren had the potential to be a good player but his excellent start this season is a surprise for me as well. Have to give coach Watson credit for giving him the opportunity to show his stuff.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh he's the real deal. He has that old school mid range game he can score from anywhere he was doing good last year before he got hurt.

He's taken that leap this year and I'm happy for him I loved the pick when it was made

This is a really fun young team

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh if he only got to play last year at the end. He would have been the star and made others look better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the game last night, on that winning play, he was masterful.

He sold the break out, then sealed his man and broke to the hoop. He reached out and one handed the catch like Larry Fitzgerald (that was not an easy catch) and in one motion went up and dunked. He has such body control and such economy of motion. No stutter steps or unnecessary fakes. Just rose to the rim and put it down.

It takes amazing skill to make it look that simple.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All the hype is on Booker but TJ has been money every game so far. I really like his game, makes it look effortless. Such a smooth operator.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's playing like I expected him to eventually . . . as a scorer. What will determine his ceiling is how other aspects of his game evolve (rebounding, passing and defense). If he's just a one dimensional scorer he'll have a nice career, but may never be a true impact player.

That said, he and booker form a nice scoring foundation. If chriss, bender and ulis (to a lesser degree) pan out we are talking a really nice squad in a couple years. Particularly if they stink again this year (lots of close losses) and hit on a stud in a loaded draft. Supposed to be three stud PGs. If you can get one of them and ship off Bledsoe for assets lookout!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's playing like I expected him to eventually . . . as a scorer. What will determine his ceiling is how other aspects of his game evolve (rebounding, passing and defense). If he's just a one dimensional scorer he'll have a nice career, but may never be a true impact player.

That said, he and booker form a nice scoring foundation. If chriss, bender and ulis (to a lesser degree) pan out we are talking a really nice squad in a couple years. Particularly if they stink again this year (lots of close losses) and hit on a stud in a loaded draft. Supposed to be three stud PGs. If you can get one of them and ship off Bledsoe for assets lookout!

Yes. All it will really take is for one of either Chriss or Bender to pan out. Bledsoe then does not have to be a top 3 player on the team, just a defensive pg that can work within an offense. All that will be attractive to free agents and we might get a final piece that way. The draft is just a bonus.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bledsoe has played well, why the bashing again?

Warren, Bledsoe, Booker and Chandler are the bright spots on the team. Too bad Dudley, Tucker, Barbosa, Knight and Len are playing terrible terrible..

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Warren, Bledsoe, Booker and Chandler are the bright spots on the team. Too bad Dudley, Tucker, Barbosa, Knight and Len are playing terrible terrible..
Are you talking about my comment? I just think Bledsoe is borderline as a "top 3" player on a team. I think for a team to really compete he has to be in more of the solid starter role. I have not been disappointed with his play this year, and I have been pleased with his leadership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warren with 22 pg on 46% shooting an 40% from 3. He is also rebounding at a 6 per game clip which is not great, but not bad for a sf. He has cemented himself into the starting spot. Fantastic.

Booker, Warren, check.

Chandler is filling the veteran role admirably and doing the dirty work. Bledsoe is playing well too.

I even have been encouraged with Len. While his offense is still horribly inefficient for a big man, his focus on rebounding has been good. I will take that.

Knight has been terribly inefficient and Tucker has been mediocre at best. He had some good defensive stretches. Dudley is just what we expected him to be. He is a netzero on the court. He doesn't hurt you, but he doesn't help alot either.

The next goal is to get either Chriss or Bender going. I don't really care which. I like Bender's defense, which seems to be quite consistent, so adding some offense I think would be easier than adding D to Chriss. I would eventually love to see Chriss starting at the PF and Bender replacing PJ's role coming off the bench.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Not bashing Bledsoe, I just don't see him making the game easier for the team around him, and that's what I want primarily from my pg. we have two developing scorers. We need a playmaker and that's not bledsoes primary forte.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not bashing Bledsoe, I just don't see him making the game easier for the team around him, and that's what I want primarily from my pg. we have two developing scorers. We need a playmaker and that's not bledsoes primary forte.
That is such an important "point". Every team needs a facilitator who makes the rest of the players on the court cohesive. Bledsoe and Knight certainly do not fit that description. The closest we have had, since the latter part of last season, is Booker. And that is a lot to ask from a just-turned-20 year old Shooting Guard.

It has been years since the Suns front office or coaching staff seem to have any knowledge of the big picture.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Bledsoe should get the annual injury soon. Hopefully Knight is long gone when that happens. Maybe see Ulis as starting PG? Someone tell me I'm nuts.

Disclaimer: I don't wish injury on anyone especially our players. And yes, I don't think giving Knight 25 mpg as sixth man is a good idea. I hope they find a way to trade him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is such an important "point". Every team needs a facilitator who makes the rest of the players on the court cohesive. Bledsoe and Knight certainly do not fit that description. The closest we have had, since the latter part of last season, is Booker. And that is a lot to ask from a just-turned-20 year old Shooting Guard.

It has been years since the Suns front office or coaching staff seem to have any knowledge of the big picture.
Bledsoe seems to be doing much better at this this year. He does not seem to be pushing his own offense nearly as much. Its a small sample size, I know. I think he just has a bit more confidence in the offensive abilities of those around him (Booker, Warren) than before.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bledsoe seems to be doing much better at this this year. He does not seem to be pushing his own offense nearly as much. Its a small sample size, I know. I think he just has a bit more confidence in the offensive abilities of those around him (Booker, Warren) than before.
I gotta say, I don't see it. He's at under 5 assist per game and shooting percentages for the entire team are pretty lousy which means he's not setting the table for easy looks.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Much ISO and dribbling on team offence so far so I'm thinking team assists are way down as well. I think Bledsoe's doing all right. He might not be the perfect fit but he's improving as a PG I think.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am happy with Bledsoe. He is not forcing things nearly as much as he used to. He is playing like a third option should play. I do agree I'd rather have a better facilitator, but I am happy with Bledsoe at this point.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Improving. Not as bad as he was. 'Sorry, but I have higher standards for the D-backs than that. Point Guard is not just a fancy title. He either makes the rest of the team better or he doesn't. Bledsoe doesn't. He never will be an NBA level facilitator.

Another major disadvantage is that it forces Devin Booker to fill that role unofficially. That is a lot to ask from a 20-year old and precludes him from devoting all of his skills as a Shooting Guard.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think we need one. We've got a bunch of guys who can handle the ball out there, I'd rather let Booker get lots of opportunity to have things flow through him than have guys trying to play off of a PG. I want Bledsoe to be efficient and push the pace, which he has been doing a decent job of, if he were a better passer it would be great but he is not holding anyone back.

And BC, Booker SHOULD take on that role. He has superstar potential, you want those guys to become play makers.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And BC, Booker SHOULD take on that role. He has superstar potential, you want those guys to become play makers.
That is a valid point. But remember, Michael Jordan wasn't "Michael" the minute he joined the Bulls. Expecting too much too soon from Booker (the best Shooting Guard and the best Point Guard on the team at the age of 20) could risk the potential of a possible superstar. He shouldn't have to take on both roles so early (as he has been doing with the game on the line).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think some people expect too much from Bledsoe. He's doing what's needed out there at PG even if he's not getting a ton of assists. It almost reminds me of Joe Johnson, in Phoenix he was as good as he'd get because he was alongside Nash and Amare in the offensive scheme but he went to Atlanta and became an All-Star SG. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities for Booker to be as good as JJ was in Atlanta. He did better there and was on a semi-successful team as "the man" and that's not something that is easy for a shooting guard to turn into with a distributor like Nash back in the day or Chris Paul or Rondo sort of distributor at the PG position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson