Tin Star (Amazon Prime)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Set in the majestic Canadian Rockies, Tin Star tells the story of a former British detective who brings his family to the tiny, tranquil town of Little Big Bear for a better life. But when his small town is overrun by migrant workers from a massive new oil refinery, the wave of organized crime that follows them threatens to sweep away everything in its wake and dig up the past.
Starring: Tim Roth, Christina Hendricks, Genevieve O'Reilly

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This show just pissed me off from the very start. You're going to tell me this is a full season of "how we got here" with unreliable narrator on top of it? Give me an effing break! Good cast and tension, but the ONLY thing that's going to make me watch past episode 1 is Christina Hencricks. God, am I jut entirely fed up with "how we got here" tropes.

Okay, I finished watching the first episode before posting. Still GD HATE "how we got here" and it ruined the GD pilot episode because there was no tension, but I'll stick with the show.

Edit: Egads, but this show doesn't make it easy to enjoy, format wise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh FFS, they're just trolling me now.

:biglaugh:

I have watched all of it to date. There are many things I like and some things that made me shake my head. Overall it was worth watching, but I can understand being frustrated with the show.

Stout

Reaction score
:biglaugh:

I have watched all of it to date. There are many things I like and some things that made me shake my head. Overall it was worth watching, but I can understand being frustrated with the show.

I hear you. That's the problem with good shows that use absolutely overused, cliched tropes over and over and over and over. You just can't stop watching because the overall quality is good. But, seriously, take that one writer that's pushing "how we got there" out of the room and make him write the credits on the blackboard 5,000 times before he's allowed back in lol

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gah, but the writers of an otherwise good show do make it hard to stay in the show. 6 episodes, 3 freaking "How We Got Here" tropes.

I must be thick... I don't get the "How we got here" complaint. We watched the first couple episodes last night and so far it seems pretty good. Would you please take the time to explain to me what you meant by that.

Stout

Reaction score
I must be thick... I don't get the "How we got here" complaint. We watched the first couple episodes last night and so far it seems pretty good. Would you please take the time to explain to me what you meant by that.
Yeah, no problem. I don't remember the specifics I was referring to in the show, but "how we got here" is where the show/episode starts either at the end or in the middle, and everything we see is literally how events unfolded to get to that point. The trope is explained well here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HowWeGotHere

It's just so massively overdone any more.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no problem. I don't remember the specifics I was referring to in the show, but "how we got here" is where the show/episode starts either at the end or in the middle, and everything we see is literally how events unfolded to get to that point. The trope is explained well here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HowWeGotHere

It's just so massively overdone any more.

ok thanks, I get what you're saying now. I guess it never bothered me enough even though I have noticed it.

<<< not a discriminating viewer...

btw, by the 2nd episode, dude is drinking whiskey again... what could go wrong???

Stout

Reaction score
ok thanks, I get what you're saying now. I guess it never bothered me enough even though I have noticed it.

<<< not a discriminating viewer...

btw, by the 2nd episode, dude is drinking whiskey again... what could go wrong???

Haha, right?

For me, it's just that every single damn show has been using and abusing this trope so, so much. It's just old and worn out for me.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, right?

For me, it's just that every single damn show has been using and abusing this trope so, so much. It's just old and worn out for me.

You don't know what old and worn out is... come walk a mile in my moccasins!!! hahaha

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave