Timberwolves @ Suns Tuesday game thread 11-1-2022

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last season our plus minus was significantly better with Ayton on the court.

+9.8 on +5.8 off.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s forcing it. Him and Edwards have a little personal battle going on. Just play team basketball and the ball will find you.

Devin Booker needs to stay out of these personal battles. He is such a competitor he wants to win these matchups, but it detracts from team play.

He should be mature enough at this stage of his career to have learned this. Anthony Edwards is only 21.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know what anyone else saw, but I was at this game last night, and it heartened me to notice that our defense noticeably improves when Book is on the floor. He got in foul trouble, but a good majority of them were ticky-tack while our guys were being slammed on the floor on our end.

It's long ways off from Book's rep for no defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what anyone else saw, but I was at this game last night, and it heartened me to notice that our defense noticeably improves when Book is on the floor. He got in foul trouble, but a good majority of them were ticky-tack while our guys were being slammed on the floor on our end.

It's long ways off from Book's rep for no defense.

Devin has turned into a two-way player. He plays much better defense than earlier in his career.

It always seems like the opponent gets away with playing more physical. Maybe it's the Suns style of play.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Our +- without DA is actually better when he doesn’t play….saw a stat watching the game last night. Edwards started white hot last night but we contained him and then we started clicking offensively.
Doesn't mean all that much, especially with such a small sample size.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Agreed. I've been all over the map with them, picking everything from low 40's and up but clearly I was too influenced by all the negatives surrounding the franchise (Sarver, playoff debacle, preseason struggles and roster concerns). I'd be surprised, barring major injuries, if we don't once again compete for best record. Maybe not quite matching last year as we intend to rest key players but probably in the vicinity of 60 wins.
The Suns are just a machine right now, and it's a pleasure to watch. It's incredible to watch your team just pick apart and embarrass other teams based on their attention to detail, their focus, and their adherence to a system.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

For all Cards fans who need an example of real coaching/leadership/roster building, all you have to do is look downtown.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Devin Booker needs to stay out of these personal battles. He is such a competitor he wants to win these matchups, but it detracts from team play.

He should be mature enough at this stage of his career to have learned this. Anthony Edwards is only 21.
Agree. He was dreadful last night. Almost totally outta control at times. Still pooped a bunch of crucial shots. And his gravity created opportunities for others.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are just a machine right now, and it's a pleasure to watch. It's incredible to watch your team just pick apart and embarrass other teams based on their attention to detail, their focus, and their adherence to a system.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

For all Cards fans who need an example of real coaching/leadership/roster building, all you have to do is look downtown.
Such a contrast in almost everything.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. He was dreadful last night. Almost totally outta control at times. Still pooped a bunch of crucial shots. And his gravity created opportunities for others.
T-wolves were concentrating on Book last night - daring the other Suns to beat them. Suns showed they were more than the Book show. That'll give other teams pause in concentrating on Book

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Every great player did this. MJ, Bird, Magic, Kobe, all of them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re basically the Dirk Mavericks at this point after they blew their 2-0 Finals lead, then followed that up the next season, breaking team records and dominating The league only to get humiliated in the playoffs by a lower seed.

championship proof will only come in the playoff pudding.

but in the wake of the Cards being almost unwatchable, I’ll take the Suns being good again And much better than I expected.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We’re basically the Dirk Mavericks at this point after they blew their 2-0 Finals lead, then followed that up the next season, breaking team records and dominating The league only to get humiliated in the playoffs by a lower seed.

but in the wake of the Cards being almost unwatchable, I’ll take the Suns being good again And much better than I expected.
We need another star. Either developed from within or in trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need another star. Either developed from within or in trade.
Agreed. JJ has kept the powder dry the last two seasons at the trade deadline, making moves on the edges. This has to be the year to swing for the fences. Even if that means losing a piece of the core.

We’re in the same position the Pistons were in 1989 when they had to deal long time fan favorite and key cog Adrian Dantley for missing piece Mark Aguirre that led to back to back titles. Same as the 2004 Pistons who needed to trade for Sheed to put them over the top for a title and back to back Finals appearances, taking the Spurs to 7 in 2005.

We’re a piece away… question is who is that piece and who are we going to have to sacrifice to get him?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Every great player did this. MJ, Bird, Magic, Kobe, all of them.
the difference is, all those players got better when riled up -- more focused
most of the time Booker starts pushing too hard, forcing things, and gets sloppy
and it can lead to fouls, T's, and turnovers
and the whole team tends to lose their mojo

sometimes, he can come back in and get his revenge, but not usually in the moment
Monty would be wise to sit him for a breather

if i was his opponent, i would strategically rattle him
i wouldn't dare do that to MJ, Bird, Magic, Kobe

just keepin it real

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the difference is, all those players got better when riled up -- more focused
most of the time Booker starts pushing too hard, forcing things, and gets sloppy
and it can lead to fouls, T's, and turnovers
and the whole team tends to lose their mojo

sometimes, he can come back in and get his revenge, but not usually in the moment
Monty would be wise to sit him for a breather

if i was his opponent, i would strategically rattle him
i wouldn't dare do that to MJ, Bird, Magic, Kobe

just keepin it real
Yeah, Booker hasn’t gotten to that point where he’s able to consistently rise above the rattle like those guys.

He might get there yet, but more often than not, those are the games I see him pressing a lot. Not that it happens a ton anymore, but he hasn’t overcome that issue yet.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

OMG! Cards are FAVORED to win over Seattle? WTF? Are the sports books watching both these teams? One is unwatchable, and one is playing top notch football right now.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr