Timberwolves @ Suns Game Thread

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Frye is going to open up some lanes inside for STAT and J-Rich with his outside shot.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
I have to say I am loving going to the home games. Loud crowd despite the small number. Throat is down and out now.

This team may not be championship caliber but we will fight for a playoff spot. Frustrating and enjoyable. I am enjoying Channing Frye's time with us and I hope that if he keeps this up that he gives us a home town discount cause he will get a decent contract.

We need to cut down on the turnovers some how. I have no solution though. The defensive effort is there in spurts. That is better than it has been in the past but still can be improved upon.

Rough road trip ahead. Hoping to come out of it with atleast two wins.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team may not be championship caliber but we will fight for a playoff spot. Frustrating and enjoyable. I am enjoying Channing Frye's time with us and I hope that if he keeps this up that he gives us a home town discount cause he will get a decent contract.

It's too early to evaluate Frye although he has looked good thus far. If he should revive his career in Phoenix, I hope the Suns show him enough money to keep him.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
Agreed to early. But if a similar performance continues through the season he will deserve a decent contract.

It's too early to evaluate Frye although he has looked good thus far. If he should revive his career in Phoenix, I hope the Suns show him enough money to keep him.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Frye plays his role well so far. It's time for other teams to adjust.
Amare is slow. His insufficient fundamental showed when after his block on Jefferson(?) the rebound just fell right before him. All he needed to do was to make a small step towards the ball to secure it. But he stood there with straight legs and only reflexively stretched out his arms, which bounced the ball out of bound.
But otherwise, he stayed on the ground patient enough on defense and became quite effective. On offense, despite not touching the ball often, he was doing all the little things like setting the proper and timely screens for teammates to enable better shots. Absolutely an integral part even the stats aren't great.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Channing's bball IQ is high enough to adapt when he is not getting open looks. Tonight he showed he can also put the ball on the floor and finish at the rim, lets hope he will be consistent.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
Why only 14 minutes for Barbosa?

apparently Barbosa reinjured his wrist during game. I guess that's why.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2009/11/1/1110658/leandro-barbosa-re-injures-wrist

Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa re-injured his right wrist during the Suns win over the Minnesota Timberwolves. He initially hurt the wrist while leading his Brazilian National Team to a gold medal in the FIBA Americas Championship tournament this summer.

After the game Leandro said this about the injury, "It's bad man. They told me I have a cyst on the wrist so it's been tough for me to catch the ball and I got hit in the game so I don't know what's going to happen."

The speedy Brazilian guard only had 6 points in 14 minutes of play in Sunday's game. He was visibly pained by the swollen right wrist.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
I don't get the love affair with Al Jefferson.. I understand he has good footwork and soft touch around the basket but he plays completely out of the flow on offense and he's a huge black hole.

Jefferson is coming back from torn ACL, so he's probably still getting back from that. kind of similar to Amare

Blackification

Registered
Reaction score
Jefferson is coming back from torn ACL, so he's probably still getting back from that. kind of similar to Amare
and he got another injury in preseason and the doctors don't recommend him playing over 30 minutes a game.

TJ

Reaction score
Considering that Jefferson has owned the Suns the last few seasons, I think he's all that and a bag of chips.

TJ

Reaction score
Barbosa played with a busted wrist, which is why he only got 13 min. Still scored 6 points. You could tell on those two missed FTs that something was bothering him. Not something I'm used to seeing as he is the 2nd best FT shooter behind Nash.

Barbosa is not expendable. As a matter of fact, he is probably the best bang for the buck in the NBA. Any guard who can come off the bench with explosiveness and the ability to drop 30 any given day is someone every team wishes they had.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barbosa played with a busted wrist, which is why he only got 13 min. Still scored 6 points. You could tell on those two missed FTs that something was bothering him. Not something I'm used to seeing as he is the 2nd best FT shooter behind Nash.

Barbosa is not expendable. As a matter of fact, he is probably the best bang for the buck in the NBA. Any guard who can come off the bench with explosiveness and the ability to drop 30 any given day is someone every team wishes they had.

+1. Let's not also forget that there were a bunch of teams looking to add Barbosa to their starting lineup when his contract was up.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Barbosa, nice regular season player.. terrible in the playoffs.
I dont think he should be as untouchable as most of you think.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Show me another player who is probably a starter on many teams for the price that we have him for.....and I will agree with you.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This opinion is based upon thin air. His stats are just fine in the playoffs, and if you actually watched him in the playoffs, he was more effective than his stats.

I believe he was injured during the 07-08 playoffs.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This opinion is based upon thin air.

Oh is it?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/leandro_barbosa/career_stats.html

His playoff track record and last years change in offense prove that barbosa is a niche offense player. (we knew that already)

His defense is terrible, he cant stay in front of his man, dribbles like robin lopez runs (head down and hunched over) aka no court vision. Poor decisions with the ball when its in his hands unless hes shooting it. Though I do think hes show a little improvement in that area the past few years.

Hes a good ball player, I just dont think he should be held in such high regard because of his contract, hes not worth much more than what its at now.... if any, it just seems like it because so many players are grossly overpaid.

Show me another player who is probably a starter on many teams for the price that we have him for.....and I will agree with you.

No you wont. You never agree with anyone. But regardless...

John Salmons 6.4m
Anthony Parker 2.4m
Mickael Pietrus 5.5m
Lou Williams 4.9m
J.R. Smith 6.1

Im sure there are more as I only went over half the teams.
I can honestly say out of those guys Id really only take Williams and Salmons over Barbosa, but I think this list goes to show that Barbosa is just about where he should be in terms of salary now that we are past the days of handing out money like its candy.

Last edited: