Timberwolves @ Suns Friday game thread 1-28-2022

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The only thing I complained about Booker was his efficiency. It’s been really bad lately by his standards and the numbers back that up. He was finding guys that were hot then for some reason decided to go hero ball. I wasn’t the only one noticing it. As I mentioned he’s sharpened other aspects of his game and it’s why he’s an all nba player this year
I will never understand why some posters get so up in arms when other posters point out something that one of our players does wrong. Even our best players screw up from time to time, or have spurts of bad play. It happens. It’s legit to talk about (I mean, particularly in a game thread in real time). It doesn’t mean the poster bringing it up thinks that player stinks or thinks that’s all there is to the players game or doesn’t recognize what the player has brought to the game. It’s just weird to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will never understand why some posters get so up in arms when other posters point out something that one of our players does wrong. Even our best players screw up from time to time, or have spurts of bad play. It happens. It’s legit to talk about (I mean, particularly in a game thread in real time). It doesn’t mean the poster bringing it up thinks that player stinks or thinks that’s all there is to the players game or doesn’t recognize what the player has brought to the game. It’s just weird to me.
I think it's just as fair to say I'll never understand why some posters make such sweeping indictments about players and get so upset when someone pushes back against it. Both things happen.

Booker holds the ball waiting for someone to get open, no one does, so he has to force up a shot as the clock winds down. Right away we see a poster or two ripping him for playing hero ball and ignoring the situation that led to it. Then, someone will point out that he's struggling from 3 and should drive a bit more and someone else will fire back that he's plus 16 and has 25 points. Like I said. Both things happen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it's just as fair to say I'll never understand why some posters make such sweeping indictments about players and get so upset when someone pushes back against it. Both things happen.

Booker holds the ball waiting for someone to get open, no one does, so he has to force up a shot as the clock winds down. Right away we see a poster or two ripping him for playing hero ball and ignoring the situation that led to it. Then, someone will point out that he's struggling from 3 and should drive a bit more and someone else will fire back that he's plus 16 and has 25 points. Like I said. Both things happen.
Hmm that’s interesting, and this comment underscores how our perceptions can definitely alter what we post. In these situations I typically see book in a crouch staring right at the defender. I don’t see him surveying the court for open teammates. It’s always been my assumption that he’s deciding how he is going to attack that player - hence “hero ball.” I’m going to watch his eyes from now on to see if my perception was wrong

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm that’s interesting, and this comment underscores how our perceptions can definitely alter what we post. In these situations I typically see book in a crouch staring right at the defender. I don’t see him surveying the court for open teammates. It’s always been my assumption that he’s deciding how he is going to attack that player - hence “hero ball.” I’m going to watch his eyes from now on to see if my perception was wrong
Sometimes, yeah. He still takes ill advised shots at times but not every shot that looks bad is a poor decision and you'd never know that by the roasting he gets every time this happens. And I'm not sure watching his eyes will give away his intention every time, at least I hope it won't because it's a safe bet the defense is looking for it too.

Often times, IMO, it's the same thing he used to do but in the past he'd try to drive late in the clock hoping it would open up the court and all too often he'd make a pass in the air that would go the other way for a quick basket. Now, instead of forcing it into the middle when the defense is prepared for him, he sizes up the defense and if someone gets open, he passes it.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Awesome w by suns book and company

Really hope suns play this well in poffs.... we shall see

Green edibles time to w :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sometimes, yeah. He still takes ill advised shots at times but not every shot that looks bad is a poor decision and you'd never know that by the roasting he gets every time this happens. And I'm not sure watching his eyes will give away his intention every time, at least I hope it won't because it's a safe bet the defense is looking for it too.

Often times, IMO, it's the same thing he used to do but in the past he'd try to drive late in the clock hoping it would open up the court and all too often he'd make a pass in the air that would go the other way for a quick basket. Now, instead of forcing it into the middle when the defense is prepared for him, he sizes up the defense and if someone gets open, he passes it.
But that’s not what happens when he flips a switch and goes hero ball. You’ll never see anyone here accusing him of that when he’s passing. It’s weird but he definitely goes through short phases every few games where it’s like he is transmitted back a few years and believes he needs to take over on his own. I think he gets tunnel vision in those spurts and the offense oftentimes gets stagnant if he’s not hitting.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But that’s not what happens when he flips a switch and goes hero ball. You’ll never see anyone here accusing him of that when he’s passing. It’s weird but he definitely goes through short phases every few games where it’s like he is transmitted back a few years and believes he needs to take over on his own. I think he gets tunnel vision in those spurts and the offense oftentimes gets stagnant if he’s not hitting.
I feel like when we lose the lead, he wants to will the ball into the basket instead of just recognizing that even if he gives it up, he can get it back and be in position for a better shot. That tough fadeaway he hit against Utah was an amazing shot but you don’t need to rely on that even though the result worked out in his favor that time. That Montyism “We score mentality” just make the right reads and the ball will find you.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is my perception to is that on those plays book gets locked in on shooting himself and doesn’t see open teammates

And I also think his teammates recognize that look and realize Deven is going to shoot it no matter what they do so they either ad for the basket for a rebound or they stand around

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
excellent insights and much better communication (without defensive insults)

if Book can correct a few things everybody gets what they want -- he becomes a superstar on a championship team

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
speaking of eyes, watch Paul's darting around like a computer as he advances the ball. not only is he making the most assists in the league, but even when he's not making that last pass, he's thinking a chess move ahead trying to give up the ball at the best time to the best person in the best place to facilitate the next move

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well you could probably argue every superstar, especially scoring ones, does that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is there a chance it's by design? Monty says green light because we can't score right now. Change the game.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because the moments of Booker tries to take over the game are very real but also 3/4 of the game he is a willing passer and is hyper efficient

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So either you believe Booker intentionally goes against his coaches plan at times

Or..

He is doing what is expected of him to the best of his ability

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
excellent insights and much better communication (without defensive insults)

if Book can correct a few things everybody gets what they want -- he becomes a superstar on a championship team

Can you stop playing the victim card? You have never been censored or banned.

Man up

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
you banned me twice, censored me once, and took part in ridiculing me (called me a "clown," "2sun," etc.) because of the very same Booker criticisms being discussed now. The bully boys were at it again, so i said something.

no big deal. and i know moderating is a tough, thankless job, so forget it

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So either you believe Booker intentionally goes against his coaches plan at times

Or..

He is doing what is expected of him to the best of his ability

Personally I think the criticism of Devin Booker gets misconstrued. During game threads it can be any number of players that come under the magnifying glass much like watching a Cardinals game. A lot of players get criticized there as well like Kyker Murray, A.J. Green or someone else depending on the game.

With the Suns, some nights it's Deandre Ayton, Mikal Bridges, Landry Shamet or someone like Elfrid Payton that draws the frustration of fans. I mostly take it as part of the ebb and flow of emotion that goes with the game.

In regard to Devin Booker I don't criticize him a lot because there is not a lot to criticize. However, there are moments in a game where it seems like he has to play the role of Kobe Bryant for a moment or two and feels compelled to force a play. This used to happen frequently when the Suns wanted a 2/1 near the end of quarters but not so much anymore. It's almost like he says I'm going to do this, everyone clear out even if the options close down. Also there are periods where he falls in love with the 3-point shot when it's not falling.

I think a lot of fans want Devin to eventually mature as a player and understand there are times in the game where he doesn't have to take the shot or he improves his shot selection much like Chris Paul. The thing is though, Chris Paul is 36 years old. It's going to take time for Booker to get there.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you banned me twice, censored me once, and took part in ridiculing me (called me a "clown," "2sun," etc.) because of the very same Booker criticisms being discussed now. The bully boys were at it again, so i said something.

no big deal. and i know moderating is a tough, thankless job, so forget it
Okay I don't recall doing this with you so I looked at the mod stuff.

I see a ban in 2019 and a ban in July of 2021. I see zero edit of your posts.

I am comfortable with disagreeing with you and even challenging you

I am not comfortable with banning you because of that disagreement.

I can't see if it was me. So I will preemptively state while we disagree on stuff (and yes I have called you 2Sun that's true), I should never use my disagreement with you to moderate you

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
thank you.
we all agree that Booker deserves far more praise than criticism anyway.

stuff started getting out of hand when some posters didn't like me making the case to replace Igor a few years ago.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I think the criticism of Devin Booker gets misconstrued. During game threads it can be any number of players that come under the magnifying glass much like watching a Cardinals game. A lot of players get criticized there as well like Kyker Murray, A.J. Green or someone else depending on the game.

With the Suns, some nights it's Deandre Ayton, Mikal Bridges, Landry Shamet or someone like Elfrid Payton that draws the frustration of fans. I mostly take it as part of the ebb and flow of emotion that goes with the game.

In regard to Devin Booker I don't criticize him a lot because there is not a lot to criticize. However, there are moments in a game where it seems like he has to play the role of Kobe Bryant for a moment or two and feels compelled to force a play. This used to happen frequently when the Suns wanted a 2/1 near the end of quarters but not so much anymore. It's almost like he says I'm going to do this, everyone clear out even if the options close down. Also there are periods where he falls in love with the 3-point shot when it's not falling.

I think a lot of fans want Devin to eventually mature as a player and understand there are times in the game where he doesn't have to take the shot or he improves his shot selection much like Chris Paul. The thing is though, Chris Paul is 36 years old. It's going to take time for Booker to get there.

From my end, I feel Booker is the #1 or #2 best player on the team but is held to a different standard to everyone except maybe Ayton.

He can shoot 60% and there a vocal few that still wonder why it's not 70 or 80 percent

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my end, I feel Booker is the #1 or #2 best player on the team but is held to a different standard to everyone except maybe Ayton.

He can shoot 60% and there a vocal few that still wonder why it's not 70 or 80 percent

I think almost every fan on the Suns forum agrees with the first paragraph although it may not sound like it reading a game thread.

Devin Booker and Chris Paul are the Suns franchise players although they have some good to excellent players that surround them. I'm not seeing anyone wanting to trade them.

When a player makes a mistake or has a bad game it's natural to discuss it. That doesn't mean fans on the forum have disowned them. Fans are going to react to almost every play good or bad.

When I visit the Cardinals forum on game day I see the same type of overly critical views of players especially during losses. I think it goes with the territory.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is there a chance it's by design? Monty says green light because we can't score right now. Change the game.
It could be. But it seems to backfire more often than succeed. Again, hero ball is a relic of older less successful years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose