Tim Donaghy: refs "stick it" to Sarver

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I don't doubt for a second this is absolutely the case. We have seen it over and over during the Sarver years, whenever the Suns were relevant in the post season.

And who would do anything about it? The NBA certainly isn't going to chastise its officials as that would be tantamount to confessing that the refs have an undue influence over the outcome of the games. Better to pretend everyone is just "imagining" it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a moment, I thought I time traveled to 2010.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watched this this morning and it was quite interesting.

One thing was pretty clear to me afterwards, Donahey was fixing games, and most likely so were other refs. Scott Foster being the most likely.

52 refs caught gambling and only Donaghy punished says a ton as well. The NBA did a great job covering up the corruption.

Donaghy made it pretty clear refs bias does dramatically affect games, which is unfortunate but I suppose common sense if you think about it.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watched this this morning and it was quite interesting.

One thing was pretty clear to me afterwards, Donahey was fixing games, and most likely so were other refs. Scott Foster being the most likely.

52 refs caught gambling and only Donaghy punished says a ton as well. The NBA did a great job covering up the corruption.

Donaghy made it pretty clear refs bias does dramatically affect games, which is unfortunate but I suppose common sense if you think about it.

I've thought about it way too much.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Good teams take the refs out of games.
...or more likely use the refs biases to their advantage. I distinctly remember Tim Duncun's palms up pleading puppy-dog look at referees every time a call went against him. Doncic does this well also. Counter that with Booker's argumentative approach when he gets a call against him. It adds up to several points a game. In close contests, that's all you need. It's why Book gets an offensive foul call against him driving to the rim with his elbow out slightly, while Doncic lowers his shoulder into someone driving to the rim and gets the call in his favor every single time. If I wasn't such a ridiculously stupid fan, I would have stopped watching these biased games years ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...or more likely use the refs biases to their advantage. I distinctly remember Tim Duncun's palms up pleading puppy-dog look at referees every time a call went against him. Doncic does this well also. Counter that with Booker's argumentative approach when he gets a call against him. It adds up to several points a game. In close contests, that's all you need. It's why Book gets an offensive foul call against him driving to the rim with his elbow out slightly, while Doncic lowers his shoulder into someone driving to the rim and gets the call in his favor every single time. If I wasn't such a ridiculously stupid fan, I would have stopped watching these biased games years ago.

Some good thoughts. Maybe certain players should be coached up on how to respond to a referee or how to foul.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Some good thoughts. Maybe certain players should be coached up on how to respond to a referee or how to foul.
definitely! That should be strategy 101 for a pro. Yet I don't sense the Suns do it. What CP3 does to opponents with his offensive reach thru in the 4th qtr is the stuff of genius! He forces the refs to call it.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
definitely! That should be strategy 101 for a pro. Yet I don't sense the Suns do it. What CP3 does to opponents with his offensive reach thru in the 4th qtr is the stuff of genius! He forces the refs to call it.
This is the problem, with so many teams and players I'm sure some refs have favorites that may get the benefit of the doubt on some calls. That's fine they are human after all.
My problem is the way they call games, sometimes they let them play, other times they call EVERYTHING!
It needs to be consistent so the players know what to expect.

If I went to work every day and the rules changed on an hourly basis, I'd better be making 200 mil over 4 years or I'm going somewhere with more stability.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good teams take the refs out of games.
The refs can determine the outcome of most games. They can make calls selectively, stop the pace, put key players in foul trouble. This adage is true with honest refs who are unintentionally biased. It is false with corrupt refs who are purposefully seeking to alter the outcome of a game.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Booker has struggled with this throughout his career. He's gotten somewhat better in recent years but he still has a tendency to commit a dumb foul any time he thinks someone got away with one against him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker has struggled with this throughout his career. He's gotten somewhat better in recent years but he still has a tendency to commit a dumb foul any time he thinks someone got away with one against him.

This is true. Sometimes Booker will remain expressionless after a foul and then later he will do something silly to ruin it all.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose