Tim Donaghy: refs "stick it" to Sarver

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
An excerpt from Bickley's article:

And on a current media tour, disgraced referee Tim Donaghy claimed that league officials still respond negatively to Sarver's omnipresence at games.

"No doubt about it," Donaghy said. "He's obviously a very vocal, animated individual. And he really got into the games. He certainly screamed and yelled at the referees every opportunity he got, especially during timeouts, in an extreme and animated way. And there's no doubt and no secret among referees that a couple went out of their way to stick it to him."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...suns-robert-sarver-bickley.html#ixzz0rBi9Rtno

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Why don't the fans just boo him when he stands up and does his foam finger routine?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It may be that the referees have it out for Sarver, but I thought the Suns got a fair shake during their playoff run, which is all you can ask for.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be that the referees have it out for Sarver, but I thought the Suns got a fair shake during their playoff run, which is all you can ask for.

I never used to have a problem with refs. Back in the 70's I never once felt we were taken advantage of by them. That all changed in the mid-80's around the time Daly took physical play to a new level. From that moment until this year, I'd yet to see a Suns series that I felt was fairly reffed. And this year we had 3 of them.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

+1

Yeah I think we need to take everything Donaghy says on his payback tour with a grain of salt.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think we need to take everything Donaghy says on his payback tour with a grain of salt.

I think there has been and will continue to be some truth in pretty much everything Donaghy says but separating it from his personal agenda is just about impossible.

Steve

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Except that Nash was fouled about 300 times by Fisher.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The refs don't have to consistently job you, it only takes a few "judgment calls" to turn a tight game.

I agree that it all traces back to Chuck Daly and the Bad Boy Pistons. The game has gotten so rough that it is an exception when fouls are called. When ugly crap like Game 7 becomes the standard, then I'd have think helmets and shoulder pads are not long in coming

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way the playoffs are officiated in general just makes no sense. A couple years back the we made a conscious effort to increase offense and make the game more pleasing by enforcing the rules again. People like watching basketball where defenders are not allowed to grope the offensive players, especially out on the perimeter and when they are driving to the basket. I thought it really worked well, but then they just throw it out the window in the playoffs... the time of year when you think you would be most important to have a fan friendly style of basketball

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The way the playoffs are officiated in general just makes no sense. A couple years back the we made a conscious effort to increase offense and make the game more pleasing by enforcing the rules again. People like watching basketball where defenders are not allowed to grope the offensive players, especially out on the perimeter and when they are driving to the basket. I thought it really worked well, but then they just throw it out the window in the playoffs... the time of year when you think you would be most important to have a fan friendly style of basketball

It's pretty hilarious. Let's call the game one way during the regular season, and then once the playoffs start, let's change the rules completely. The Finals turned into a snooze fest wrestling match, and the teams that clutch and grab and flop the best ended up in it. Weird.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
It feels like refs are told that calling fouls slows the game down. But the reality is that coaches will keep pushing the edges of the rules to gain an advantage so they still end up calling a lot of fouls.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Yes, but that's part of the standard postseason adjustment for what constitutes a foul. The Suns could have gotten away with the same if they had programmed it into their game plan all season long.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It feels like refs are told that calling fouls slows the game down. But the reality is that coaches will keep pushing the edges of the rules to gain an advantage so they still end up calling a lot of fouls.

I agree. Also the players will adjust to the calls a referee makes. There is no reason the style of play need change in the playoffs. IMO, there must be some direction from the commissioner to the referees for them to suddenly allow more physical contact in the playoffs.

In regard to referees in the 70's it was quite common (and not much disputed as I recall) for the referees to do make up calls when they blew a call. If they flubbed it at one of the court they would make a counter call at the other end of the court. Now if referees make a bad call they don't seem to care if they even it out.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but that's part of the standard postseason adjustment for what constitutes a foul. The Suns could have gotten away with the same if they had programmed it into their game plan all season long.

It's a valid theory, but I'm not sure the Suns have the type players an all out brawl style works best for.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kevin Johnson was fouled as much as Nash, probably more (or at least harder) because he drove it directly to the basket. KJ could soar so high. He was often pounded while in the air and knocked to the floor. Sometimes it was just brutal while the referees suddenly lost their whistle.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Kevin Johnson was fouled as much as Nash, probably more (or at least harder) because he drove it directly to the basket. KJ could soar so high. He was often pounded while in the air and knocked to the floor. Sometimes it was just brutal while the referees suddenly lost their whistle.
I don't equate Nash to KJ, who constantly drove the lane with the game on the line, knowing that he'd be blocked.

Nash, as Stockton, used his big men wisely, for the good of the team and his job as Point Guard, whereas KJ was openly resentful of Barkley.

Nash has scored 20 plenty of times, when he had to. KJ averaged 20 because he wanted to. And the results were the same. When the Point Guard has to score 20, the team is more probable to lose.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't equate Nash to KJ, who constantly drove the lane with the game on the line, knowing that he'd be blocked.

Perhaps you mean fouled. KJ seldom got the calls when he was bludgeoned attacking the basket.

Nash, as Stockton, used his big men wisely, for the good of the team and his job as Point Guard, whereas KJ was openly resentful of Barkley.

I don't equate KJ with Nash or Stockton either. They were different type players. KJ often sacrificed his body to give the Suns another inside scoring presence. It was no secret that KJ and Barkley did not socialize. I think KJ took the game more seriously than Barkley. If Barkley had stayed in shape the Suns might have won that championship series with the Bulls.

Nash has scored 20 plenty of times, when he had to. KJ averaged 20 because he wanted to. And the results were the same. When the Point Guard has to score 20, the team is more probable to lose.

Again, KJ was a different type of PG than Stockton and Nash. He was a penetrator and who had freakish athletic ability. He used it well to give the Suns more inside scoring opportunities. KJ spent 12 seasons with the Suns and was loyal to the end. He made only one simple request from JC... he asked to never be traded which was a promise kept.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KJ resented Charles?

KJ and Charles did not socialize. KJ was much more serious and reserved. Charles always liked the limelight and what went with it. As good a player Charles was, he could have been much better. Charles was that good.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
KJ resented Charles?
The two of them played a mind game that was detrimental to the team.

The Chuckster called KJ "Franchise, Jr." (which, as you'd expect from Barkley, was not diplomatic). And KJ, instead of playing along, as a Point Guard should do to your scoring leader, let his resentment be known.

Magic and Kareem never looked for the negatives in each other. Nor Stockton and Malone. Nor, for that matter, Nash and Amar'e.

But KC and Charles (each who have committed discretions during their careers) were antagonists rather than a smooth running combo.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two of them played a mind game that was detrimental to the team.

The Chuckster called KJ "Franchise, Jr." (which, as you'd expect from Barkley, was not diplomatic). And KJ, instead of playing along, as a Point Guard should do to your scoring leader, let his resentment be known.

Magic and Kareem never looked for the negatives in each other. Nor Stockton and Malone. Nor, for that matter, Nash and Amar'e.

But KC and Charles (each who have committed discretions during their careers) were antagonists rather than a smooth running combo.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with KJ as your comments imply. KJ was a great PG for the Suns and did his job. I can't blame KJ for not wanting to be buddies with Barkley and vice versa. However, I never seen it play out on the court. It took JC a long time to put Barkley in the ring of honor and after he did I bet he regretted it. Until this last season, Barkley was always making stinging remarks about the Suns.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dude, that is an interesting interpretation of events. Barkley was in charge of the party crew and made it known in the locker room that he thought KJ was weird (and possibly gay) for not wanting to run with them. But they weren't sworn enemies and they still get along, they're just not best friends.

To put this in perspective, Barkley has always had problems with his weight and was Oliver Miller's role model, but Barkley through O under the bus for the same reason. They were even roommates at one point. That's Barkley. KJ understood it and didn't let Barkley get under his skin.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Alas, that is the whole problem isn't it? Suns crush entire league all season long when aggressive fouling and plowing into people in the paint is somewhat called fairly. Same will probably hold this year. In the playoffs, when fouls are rarely called the same way, Suns get beat up and do not have the people necessary to take advantage of said new rules. Suns need a couple of cheap bench thugs. I am surprised they don't yet realize that. Just a couple aggressive foul collectors.

Your earlier statement that the Suns got breaks in the prior season's playoffs rings true. Yet it bothered me to no end that the Greek Freak could plow into Ayton with immunity and get him in early foul trouble. Get Ayton a couple early touch fouls. Game over. There were no serious backup centers.

Same thing this year. Mavs could foul CP3 with impunity and Doncic could plow over people with never an offensive charge ever called. Game over.

Shame we don't have a player that can plow over people and get away with it. There will be no rings till we do.

Edit: by "plow over", I mean drop a shoulder into someone while driving to hoop. You know, the thing Booker can never get away with because he's not famous enough.

Last edited: