BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0731cards0801.html

Tight end still a tight spot for Cards
Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 31, 2007 04:02 PM

FLAGSTAFF - Contrary to popular opinion, the Cardinals do have some depth at tight end. It just depends on how you define the word.

If depth equates to numbers, the Cardinals have that. There are six tight ends in camp.

If it's depth of interesting stories you want, the Cardinals have that. They have one tight end whose career has been delayed by two knee surgeries. Another has been traded once and cut three times over the past three years. They have one who is tall and long on potential.

But if depth means proven talent, well, you have the Cardinals there. In this offense, a tight end needs to be able to block as well as catch, and there's not one on the roster who's proven he can do that. Yet.

"That's ultimately the test for these guys, who is going to stand out blocking-wise?" said coach Ken Whisenhunt. "I feel good about the guys we have. We have a young group and we're going to have to grow there together. I'm sure there are going to be some growing pains and, hopefully, one of those guys will step up."

The Cardinals tried to address the position in the off-season, wooing free agent Reggie Kelly from Cincinnati. It was a blow to the Cardinals plans when Kelly re-signed with the Bengals for less money, and the Cardinals were left with young players who are willing, but may not be able.

After Kelly rejected them, the Cardinals flooded the position with numbers, but not experience. In mid-April, they signed Troy Bienemann, whose NFL career had been delayed by two serious knee injuries. They drafted Ben Patrick from Delaware in the seventh round, and in May signed Tim Euhus, who spent time with the Bills, Saints and Steelers the past three seasons.

"For me, it's a great opportunity to try and get back in the league," said Euhus, who was cut by the Steelers last October, re-signed with them in February and was released again in May after the team drafted a tight end.

Finding a tight who can perform both tasks - blocking and receiving - is difficult. In Pittsburgh, Whisenhunt had Heath Miller and knew how to use him. Miller is an excellent blocker, and he's caught 73 passes and scored 11 touchdowns in his two NFL seasons.

"Everybody is looking for guys who can do both," said tight ends coach Freddie Kitchens, "and you have to have some sense of median where you can hold the point (blocking) and still do something in the passing game."

Leonard Pope, a third-round pick last year, show some ability as a rookie, playing in every game and catching 16 passes. At 6 feet 8, he could be a threat near the goal line, but if he doesn't become a competent blocker, he'll have a hard time getting in the game in those situations.

"I'm a pretty good athlete, running routes and what not," Pope said, "but anyone can catch balls. I just want to get down and dirty with my linemen, also."

Bienemann was impressive this off-season and showed why he was a decent prospect before suffering a knee injury late in his senior season at Washington State. He signed with New Orleans as a rookie free agent last year but suffered a knee injury in summer drills and was cut.

Of the six tight ends on the roster, only Pope has a roster spot secured. So the position is deep in motivation, too.

Bienemann could have been speaking for the entire group when he said, "I'm approaching this camp as it could be my last time ever.

"If I don't go out there and knock heads and get some movement, I'll be on the street. If you approach it like there's always tomorrow, you'll never succeed."

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
When I was in college at North Texas back in the '80s, we had this tight end named Mack Faggott. The school paper wrote an article on him with the title:

"Faggott Finds Stability at Tight End Position"

Practically everyone in my dorm had that article taped to their door.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Leonard Pope is 6'8". You would think he could block somebody. Geez.
It's harder for taller players to block. A short guy can get under your pads because he's already down there. A taller guy has to bend down while maintaining his balance and vision.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"I'm a pretty good athlete, running routes and what not," Pope said, "but anyone can catch balls. I just want to get down and dirty with my linemen, also."

I like that quote.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose