Tick tock... tick tock

Discussion in 'Finance, Investments, and Careers' started by BillsCarnage, Nov 1, 2019.

1. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Buried way down in the news over the last few days is that the Feds have pumped $128B into the financial markets.

Dodd-Frank doing what it do.

2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Crazy how many times the fed has acted to keep the economy above water. How do you see this playing out?

3. dscher

dscher Registered

Like part of his name implies.. Carnage.... unfortunately.

4. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Yeah, the proverbial ice will break at some point. The Feds haven't pumped that much into the market since 2008/09ish.

dscher likes this.
  5. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

So, I guess this might be a good time to move some of my investments into more conservative accounts????

6. dscher

dscher Registered

Imo, it would be wise right about now.. I could go into detail, but long story short is.. the risk reward profile of the overall market is extremely not worth it currently. Jmo though..

7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Eh I’d take that statement with a grain of salt. It depends upon your time horizon. Market timing is a dangerous game.

AZCB34 likes this.
  8. dscher

dscher Registered

Completely agree. But she asked if it was time to be more conservative...and imo, based on my ability to market time was to take that approach. But if you don't think technical analysis is worth your time in general, I tell most people to allocate a good portion to both stocks and bonds and call it a day.

9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Technical analysis sure. But she posed a pretty broad question. Without knowing how aggressive or conservative she’s currently invested I think it’s difficult to answer her question with a “yes.”

10. dscher

dscher Registered

We all have our opinions. Mine answer would be a yes based on what I see currently. I would assume the average investor has a decent percentage of their portfolios exposed to the stock market... If her question was based on reallocation to prepare for a downturn, then I would strongly consider it, based on my opinion of course. :)

11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

I suppose as an investment advisor I shudder at generalized recommendations that don’t take an individual’s actual set of facts into consideration or fail to undertake a suitability analysis. When it comes to investing there are, frankly imo, too many variables for generalizations.

AZCB34 and BigRedRage like this.
  12. dscher

dscher Registered

Lol.. I hear ya man. Im pretty well educated on the markets and investments in general.. so I don't take this lightly .. Now, tax consequences and such are a different ballgame and in that sense everyone should consult a tax pro with such decisions. Once again, this is a message board.. opinions abound.. Every one here is capable of making their own decisions for their individual circumstances. All I was doing was offering an opinion of mine to a question of hers... but we can agree to disagree though.. no problemo.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  13. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/o...ar-market-2019-12-18?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

14. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

I remember a conversation we had this spring in which you stated you pulled out of the market in November 2018 and missed the correction in December. I'm curious, did you ever get back in or have you missed out on the US market's nearly 30% return this year?

15. dscher

dscher Registered

I'm actually short the market and long gold miners since October for the foreseeable future. Went long treasury bonds since November of 2018 and was part of that huge run-up. Consolidating now before the next big move up imo along with gold.