Thursday night football week 4

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Tua has been released from the hospital & is traveling with the team back to Miami. Thank goodness for that. Contrary to what everyone on this board may think, these team doctors are pretty damn good. Before we jump to conclusions, I’ll wait to hear what the medical personnel has to say.
Imo I think it’s pretty dumb to send someone back home on a plane the same night he most likely suffered a second concussion within 4 days! Numerous teams have left players over night before & should’ve done it with this kid

Many of these medical people are great indeed, but if you truly believe all of them are putting “the persons” health first before “the game” you would be very naive. The league as well.

I’m friends with a few current as well as former NFL guys & they don’t believe it! It’s better today, but what took place in the last 4 days is criminal on how the Fins medical team & the NFL handled Tua. And I will say he has some responsibility as well because he knows he was dinged last Sunday

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t he have to be cleared by a doctor??
Still doesn’t mean some of these doctors aren’t looking out for the team over the player. It’s been going on for years

I’ve seen numerous doctors say he most likely was concussed last Sunday. It was pretty evident he suffered some kind of head trauma

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This reminds me of when Durant suffered what seemed like a clear injury to his achillies, then Warriors proclaimed it was a mild calf strain, a few weeks later they throw him back out there because they're behind in the finals and he tears his achillies off the bone.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My wife is "medical personnel," and she recognized and called the decorticate posturing long before the tweets above came out.

Do you think Tua was faking that? Why?
Faking?? My wife is an ER nurse, so what’s your point. I know everyone wants to put in their 2 cents, but let the doctors do their jobs. That’s all I was saying. When he was injured against the Bills, the Dolphins team doctors checked him out & determined he could still play. If they didn’t follow the correct protocol, then that will be exposed.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Faking?? My wife is an ER nurse, so what’s your point. I know everyone wants to put in their 2 cents, but let the doctors do their jobs. That’s all I was saying. When he was injured against the Bills, the Dolphins team doctors checked him out & determined he could still play. If they didn’t follow the correct protocol, then that will be exposed.

The point I was making is that the spasms that happened to his extremities (his fingers, in this case) canNOT be faked.

The kid has a head injury, plain and simple.

The fact that the kid flew home with the team only means that the 'Phins are in CYA mode and not treating this with the seriousness it deserves.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Scary to watch.

Immediately made me think of the hit to Boldin against the Jets, however many years ago, where his arms went into their crazy position.

I Hope Tua is ok.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point I was making is that the spasms that happened to his extremities (his fingers, in this case) canNOT be faked.

The fact that the kid flew home with the team only means that the 'Phins are in CYA mode and not treating this with the seriousness it deserves.
Whoever is around this kid who actually loves should get him to seriously consider taking extended time off. Even retirement. The brain never reverses damage, it has to rewire which is a slow process.

The Dolphins can't be trusted. He should not have been on that plane.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whoever is around this kid who actually loves should get him to seriously consider taking extended time off. Even retirement. The brain never reverses damage, it has to rewire which is a slow process.

The Dolphins can't be trusted. He should not have been on that plane.

Yup. We're in "life or death" territory now, at this point.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

That doesn’t seem to be the case according to team doctors. They are definitively stating that the spasms in his hands after the hit last night are related to his back. They can last a few seconds right up to a few minutes. Either way, I’m sure more and more information will come forward.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
In order for a player to be returned to the field after a suspected concussion the team doctors have NO say, the NFL hires independent doctors unaffiliated with any club for every game. So you can't blame the Dolphins, the NFL's doc said he was good to return.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn’t seem to be the case according to team doctors. They are definitively stating that the spasms in his hands after the hit last night are related to his back. They can last a few seconds right up to a few minutes. Either way, I’m sure more and more information will come forward.
Really? Because the nerves to the arms have nothing to do with the back. They come from the neck. Look it up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In order for a player to be returned to the field after a suspected concussion the team doctors have NO say, the NFL hires independent doctors unaffiliated with any club for every game. So you can't blame the Dolphins, the NFL's doc said he was good to return.
Exactly. A little research would have brought up this point.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. A little research would have brought up this point.
Here's the deal. They never even tested for a concussion because they decided it was an orthopedic problem. He never went into protocol. I have no doubt Tua was saying whatever was necessary to keep playing. That's why, IMHG, it never even got to the neurologist.

The truth will come out soon enough.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal. They never even tested for a concussion because they decided it was an orthopedic problem. He never went into protocol. I have no doubt Tua was saying whatever was necessary to keep playing. That's why, IMHG, it never even got to the neurologist.

The truth will come out soon enough.
Indeed. NFL says they did, but it wouldn't be the first time they have covered it up.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t he have to be cleared by a "doctor" ??

FIFY

Maybe it is all on the up and up, but do these doctors have any kind of a vested interest in making decisions that will help the NFL? :shrug: I could be totally out to lunch on this, but just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
My wife is "medical personnel," and she recognized and called the decorticate posturing long before the tweets above came out.

Do you think Tua was faking that? Why?

How often does your wife diagnose neurological injuries through a television screen from thousands of miles away? In her professional opinion, how reliable is that method of diagnosis, compared to seeing the patient in person and running tests?

carrrnuttt

Didactic
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How often does your wife diagnose neurological injuries through a television screen from thousands of miles away? In her professional opinion, how reliable is that method of diagnosis, compared to seeing the patient in person and running tests?

A) Are you assuming that the people who examined him are being honest about his injuries?
B) Decorticate posturing only manifests in one very specific way for very specific reasons. Feel free to tack on YOUR years of medical study that disputes that known, medical fact.

Abnormal posturing is an involuntary flexion or extension of the arms and legs, indicating severe brain injury. It occurs when one set of muscles becomes incapacitated while the opposing set is not, and an external stimulus such as pain causes the working set of muscles to contract.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The team doctors also though him with his chin sagging on his chest, repeatedly shaking his head around with his eyes closed, his legs wobbling like a drunkard and his teammates having to hold him up so he'd stop collapsing was a "back injury".

These dudes would probably watch the Zapruder film and say "JFK is suffering from a sinus infection".