Thoughts on game / team

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Super happy with this win. I think the Vikings played their best game and most other teams would have lost to them. But we also got incredibly lucky and there are some things I’d like to see going forward.

Offense
For the love of GOD, implement some pre-snap motion into the game plan! Depending on how the defense reacts to the motion, Kyler will be able to tell if it’s Man or Zone. If he knows it’s Man, then he knows the defense will have their backs to him and he can run it. This is one of my biggest issues with Kliff.

Get Murray under center more and run more play action. Our run game does not instill fear at all because it’s so predictable and easy to see the RB get the ball in the shotgun. Chase and Connor are having to elude defenders 3 yards in the backfield as soon as they get the hand-off.

Design more runs for Murray. There were quite a few times today where if he ran it right away, he could have gained a lot of yards.

I liked how they got Max Williams involved. The TE allows us to run and pass out of play action and he’s a much better receiver than I thought.

Get Rondale Moore involved more. This kid can put the jet sweep into our offense and also be a decoy. I think he’s under-utilized but it’s early.

Defense
BLITZ THE A GAP!!! I AM BEGGING YOU! Kirk Cousins (along with almost all QB’s) is AWFUL when he has pressure in his face. Meanwhile, Simmons is rushing off the edge and Kirk is doing his best impression of Tom Brady getting the ball out over the middle within 3 seconds so any outside rush is completely ineffective. Spread out your rushers so the OT’s have to spread out when the ball is snapped and send Buddha, Jalen, Simmons or whomever up the gut. Do it on run downs also and stop the RB before he gets a head of steam.

Put monetary incentives in the contracts of your defense for batted balls. It is so frustrating watching the DL get no push at all and then have passes sail over their heads.

ST’s
Other than getting better at blocking on returns, I think we’re pretty solid.

Coaching
Sometimes Kliff will run a play call that is brilliant but for the most part, I feel like Kyler bails him out a lot.

We all know the game management issues. Unreal the way he wastes time-outs.

Penalties – get in someone’s face for once. Humphries is good for a drive killing false start per game. Light into him. Bench him for a series. Do SOMETHING.

Positives
The Vikings played probably the best game they will play all year and we still won.

Mike Zimmer’s defense completely neutralized Nuk and forced Kyler to be a magician again.

Kirk Cousins was phenomenal today. He got the ball out quick to beat the rush and his throws were accurate.

Against any other team, I bet the Vikings win.

Concerns
We still can’t run the ball. This is going to be a major issue down the road in games with bad weather.

We still struggle to stop the run. Again, this is going to come back to haunt us later this season.

A win is a win, but after the way we started and finished last year, I’m not crowning the Cards as having arrived.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Vikings play a near perfect game sans the kicker and still lost. We gave them a pick 6, and another interception at the goal line, plus only getting a Fg with first down at the five late in the game. Should have won by 10. Defense line was getting pushed around all game. No backside pursuit to handle cutbacks. No real pressure at all on Cousins. Lots of issues but they still won. Plenty of errors to keep this team grounded. Jacksonville cannot turn into last years Detroit game

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
After watching preseason games, I figured Cardinals would be lucky to win 3 games. Thoughts changed after road win over Tennessee. My win guess meter went all the way to 11 games. Now, I’m unsure. I’m celebrating the win and that we’re 2-0, but I’m fearful that victories will be harder to come by. The Vikings manhandled the defense and their quarterback stayed clean in the pocket. Maybe my expectations are too high. I’d like to think the Cardinals are good enough to make the playoffs, but I don’t know. The two teams we’ve played so far are a combined 1-3 and the next team up is 0-2. When we stand at 3-0, I’m not sure what that tells us other than we’re 3-0 and have 14 tough games to play.

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Shouldn't we have known intimately how to expose PP and take him on routes he can't cover?
from what I saw, Nuk was pretty much double covered by PP and the safety all day so PO had help. Still have to find ways to get Nuk the ball though. Need to move him around more before the snap.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd argue on the running game. Edmonds had 5.8 YPC.

I feel harsh on Connor because he's a good player but they give him all the runs where the opponent knows we are going to run. Especially for eating clock late in the game. So his YPC looks trash but he's being getting nearly all the tough yardage.

We could do more in the run game. Only 16 carries from RB which is only about 33% run. Needs to be more.

On saying that, this receiving group is so difficult to cover that there almost always someone open in the passing game so I can see why Kliff is leaning on pass. But that's not going to work against everyone with teams like the Ram's up soon.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are averaging 36 pts. A game.

The other team has players and a plan too.

There is no such thing as a perfect game.

Double Nuk if they want. We have shown we can take advantage of that.

Overcoming mistakes is a sign of a good team.

We are great but lost when our kicker misses a game winner. We are lucky and suck when our opponent misses a game winner.

Rather learn from mistakes with a win rather than with a loss.

It appears we are a good team but will have to get better if we want to be considered a VERY good team.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I sincerely hope they don't overlook the Jags. They have a very good rookie qb who is off to a bad start. I hope they don't let him turn it around playing us. Because, I am pretty sure that, at some point, probably pretty soon, he will get it turned around. Same for their coach.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any updates on Marco Wilson injury?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sincerely hope they don't overlook the Jags. They have a very good rookie qb who is off to a bad start. I hope they don't let him turn it around playing us. Because, I am pretty sure that, at some point, probably pretty soon, he will get it turned around. Same for their coach.
Well we are the champions of giving rookies their first step to the Hall of Fame so there is that concern.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haha I've watched missed fg by vikings no idea how he missed no prsssure..... stipl shocked lol on youtube vikings fan video after miss someone yelled Fireddd.lol

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
as Cardinal fans, we all have endured losses when kickers missed gimme FGs

I think Neil Rackers had about 4 of them by himself

Zane had a couple last year -- maybe not as time expired, but none the less

i will take this win and not apologize

it seems at week 2 every year ---- there are maybe 3 or 4 teams that you know arent good, and a similar number of teams that are good --- and the rest could go either way

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
as Cardinal fans, we all have endured losses when kickers missed gimme FGs

I think Neil Rackers had about 4 of them by himself

Zane had a couple last year -- maybe not as time expired, but none the less

i will take this win and not apologize

it seems at week 2 every year ---- there are maybe 3 or 4 teams that you know arent good, and a similar number of teams that are good --- and the rest could go either way
Nobody on the Ravens is apologizing for KCs Edwards-Helaire fumble to lose the game either. It happens. Lamar didn't have a perfect game, I'll stick with Kyler and the dub.