MCU: Thor: Ragnarok

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People are putting too much brain power into this. It was a ya too campy at the beginning but then got rolling and was a great comic book turned movie.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Marvel still cant get a death scene right. (Outside of Yandu in GOTG2) I mean, this was finally a movie where people actually died and stayed dead,,,, however I just found it really odd that they killed off basically all the supporting cast from Thor 1,,,, his entire crew except for the lady just got murdered!!! NEVER MENTIONED IT AGAIN. I mean, Thor never even had a,,, "awe dang ALL my friends are dead and now I'm sad!" moment. Just saying, they are bad at deaths.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel still cant get a death scene right. (Outside of Yandu in GOTG2) I mean, this was finally a movie where people actually died and stayed dead,,,, however I just found it really odd that they killed off basically all the supporting cast from Thor 1,,,, his entire crew outside the lady, and NEVER MENTIONED IT AGAIN. I mean, Thor never even had a,,, awe dang ALL my friends are dead and now I'm sad,,, moment. Just saying, they are bad at deaths.

That is a minor gripe for me too. It could have been handled better but ultimately necessary. Based on what I read the single films could be winding down for the original cast and the point of the ending is that Thor’s entire world changes and all of his support structure since his mother has slowly eroded.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yep. One of the reasons it was so uneven. Yakety sax, yakety sax, yakety sax...oh, here's something serious and hideously bad, but rather than deal with it, here's more yakety sax. Completely and utterly flubbed that.

I remember when anyone suggesting (back in the day0 that the upcoming Avengers would be better than Dark Knight Rises got laughed out of the room. My friends and I used to joke that, though we had hope for Avengers, DKR would crush it. Mm, not so much. Now, today? Well, okay, I don't have hope for Justice League, but it might just be better than Thor: Ragnarok, which would have been heresy to even contemplate for me, until recently.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yep. One of the reasons it was so uneven. Yakety sax, yakety sax, yakety sax...oh, here's something serious and hideously bad, but rather than deal with it, here's more yakety sax. Completely and utterly flubbed that.

I remember when anyone suggesting (back in the day0 that the upcoming Avengers would be better than Dark Knight Rises got laughed out of the room. My friends and I used to joke that, though we had hope for Avengers, DKR would crush it. Mm, not so much. Now, today? Well, okay, I don't have hope for Justice League, but it might just be better than Thor: Ragnarok, which would have been heresy to even contemplate for me, until recently.
lol...I was planning a movie trip friday morning. It surprised me when I realized I was more excited by the prospect of seeing justice league instead of Ragnarok ...
maybe its because Ragnarok has limited affect on the MCU as a whole but Justice League is kinda make or break for DCU...WW was solid but other than that they have been seriously stumbling. MCU would have to post 3 or 4 consecutive flops to lose their box office cred at this point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Justice League is supposed to be pretty terrible based on the reviews being lifted from embargo last night.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know. That was a comment on Thor more than on JL.

Did you see what they did to the Amazons? What kind of idiots do they have running the show?

Zach Snyder before he was fired.

Can't believe they gave him the keys to the kingdom after Sucker Punch.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Zach Snyder before he was fired.

Can't believe they gave him the keys to the kingdom after Sucker Punch.

If the people at DC had any sense at all, after the very first screening they saw of Wonder Woman they should have halted all work on this film, turned it over to the entire crew who made WW and let them do whatever they had to do to make it. WW was better than anything DC has done since the Dark Knight. To follow up such a solidly made film with another stinkfest like Suicide Squad is going to put them way back from Marvel again when they had the opportunity to close the gap in terms of quality. IMO

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Am I the only one who found this film boring? As was said, it tried to hard to be a comedy and turning Hulk into a lumbering pansy was ridiculous. The final act was good but the rest of the film tried to be too clever and it failed IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Am I the only one who found this film boring? As was said, it tried to hard to be a comedy and turning Hulk into a lumbering pansy was ridiculous. The final act was good but the rest of the film tried to be too clever and it failed IMO.
You must have HATED the new Avengers movie.

Stout

Reaction score

Absolutely not. I'm right there with it. It was a huge disappointment for me, and I thought it was going to rock. Way too much forced comedy that just didn't work. Getting bogged down on the garbage planet and criminally under-using such an awesome villain sucked too.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just rewatched this one. Love it. Great pacing, visually awesome, serious when it needed to be but really damn funny.

My favorite Marvel movie and done using what had been their dullest main character. IMO, it needs to be ridiculous. It's the "God of Thunder" and his adventures through space, the previous Thor movies suffered because they took material that on it's face is completely insane and tried to play it mostly straight. Now, I think the 2 characters with the most long term potential are Spiderman (because of the loads of material) and Thor... as an interstellar, space God who can play 30 minutes opposite a raccoon and steal every scene in Infinity War... that character can run as long as Helmsworth feels like playing the role.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that character can run as long as Helmsworth feels like playing the role.

I'm not in the know when it comes to Marvel movies. Is Helmsworth a mistake or a playful reference to his winged helmet?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not in the know when it comes to Marvel movies. Is Helmsworth a mistake or a playful reference to his winged helmet?

Remember that conversation over on the Suns bored (HA! Get it?!) we just had during the NBA doldrums about correcting minor spelling and grammatical boo boos?

...Yeah...

I'm gunna need you to delete that quote real quick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember that conversation over on the Suns bored we just had during the NBA doldrums about correcting minor spelling and grammatical boo boos?

...Yeah...

I'm gunna need you to delete that quote real quick.

Hmm. That's too bad, I was actually hoping it was his new Thor based nickname.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's a bummer that Idris Elba is probably dead (in the MCU) because he was great. Even though I've heard he didn't particularly love being a part of Thor, he was really the best part of Ragnarok. There would have been no Azgardians to save if he hadn't been there, and his talk with Thor via psychic link was the most compelling part of the film IMO.

I mean, consider what he said of Hela: She draws her power from Asgard and grows stronger every day. Hela is ravenous.... If I let her live she will consume 9 realms and all the cosmos,,,, we need you. (Thor)

She sounds more powerful than Thanos I mean it sounds to me like Odin was the only being in the universe that could contain her. Now that Asgard is destroyed and she cant draw her power from there it will be interesting to see if she stays dead in the MCU or comes back, but again, with Asgard destroyed, does she have any power even if she is alive?

Bottom line, it's not going to be that hard to defeat Thanos now that his gauntlet is fried and he thinks he's won,,, the tricky part is going to be reversing the atrocities he's committed,,, if they can at all.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
It's a bummer that Idris Elba is probably dead (in the MCU) because he was great. Even though I've heard he didn't particularly love being a part of Thor, he was really the best part of Ragnarok. There would have been no Azgardians to save if he hadn't been there, and his talk with Thor via psychic link was the most compelling part of the film IMO.

I mean, consider what he said of Hela: She draws her power from Asgard and grows stronger every day. Hela is ravenous.... If I let her live she will consume 9 realms and all the cosmos,,,, we need you. (Thor)

She sounds more powerful than Thanos I mean it sounds to me like Odin was the only being in the universe that could contain her. Now that Asgard is destroyed and she cant draw her power from there it will be interesting to see if she stays dead in the MCU or comes back, but again, with Asgard destroyed, does she have any power even if she is alive?

Bottom line, it's not going to be that hard to defeat Thanos now that his gauntlet is fried and he thinks he's won,,, the tricky part is going to be reversing the atrocities he's committed,,, if they can at all.

They obviously can and will. People died who still have continuing franchises, so it isn't in question.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave