This game will be a treatise of KK's offensive "genius".

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've spoken many time about my distaste for Kingsbury's "wait and see" approach to game management. This game..... national tv, on the road, against a hated by many opponent, versus a miserable defense will at least for me either expose or lend credence to him as an offensive guru and even as a head coach. I've yet to see a team be stopped by Dallas' defense and the Browns (with a lot of similar talent on offense as us) did whatever they wanted to, whenever they wanted to. I want to be confident going in, but I'm terrified (again!) that we will blow the chance to build something nice out of this season, with an opportunity to smack the Hags around and perhaps lay some claim to the division. So much hinges on this game, that I just don't like to think of all that can go wrong. Either get your team ready to play and exploit a defense akin to a sieve or go do something else.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Excited for Monday night, and I hope both K1 and KK don’t over think the moment. Both are from Texas so I hope KK doesn’t outsmart himself, and K1 doesn’t try to do to much.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Kingsbury will revert to his prior habits unfortunately.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
TBF with LVE they held the Rams to 20 points.

They also havent given up a 300 yard passing game all year. Its the run game thats given them problems (outside of last week)

Tough to tell what Kliff will do.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You don't have to be a guru to move the ball against Dallas. But there is no denying two things:
1. Dallas has a good offense.
2. We have a bad defense.

Game should be high scoring with TO's and Penalties deciding. JMO.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You don't have to be a guru to move the ball against Dallas. But there is no denying two things:

I see it being posted, but we are middle of the pack in yards and a top 5 scoring defense thus far. Granted I don’t think the scoring defense is quite accurate, but I think we are much more of a mediocre defense than a bad one.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see it being posted, but we are middle of the pack in yards and a top 5 scoring defense thus far. Granted I don’t think the scoring defense is quite accurate, but I think we are much more of a mediocre defense than a bad one.

Yeah, I don't think it's accurate at this point to say we have a bad defense.

However, we have not played many good offensive teams up to this point, so it's kind of hard to know.

Bottom line about this game - and really almost for every game this year - how kyler plays is 90% of the reason we win or lose.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Once again...our offense's success is more dependent on Kyler Murray's execution than it is on Kliff's playcalling.

Its not so much the play calling that's key it's the game plan. Does he have a plan that exposes the weaknesses of Dallas and defends their strengths?

That's what I want to see from Kliff this week. If he goes into this game like the Panthers and doesn't run Kyler and throws everything short then he's a fool.

Considering Nolans experience and the fact the Dallas D has been garbage I'm expecting a simplified zone defense. Is Kliff?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its not so much the play calling that's key it's the game plan. Does he have a plan that exposes the weaknesses of Dallas and defends their strengths?

That's what I want to see from Kliff this week. If he goes into this game like the Panthers and doesn't run Kyler and throws everything short then he's a fool.

Considering Nolans experience and the fact the Dallas D has been garbage I'm expecting a simplified zone defense. Is Kliff?
This...

what are we preparing for (all week) and can we adjust when they do something different?

Also I watch a lot of young QBs have success under center and find big gainers (simplified reads).

Sometimes we have to mix in under center stuff to help get the running game going and get those big passing plays.

Its like the play call to Daniels last week. It allows you to take advantage of teams trying to stop the run.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If Kliff calls that Panthers game again, Cardinals wouldnt win with Russell Wilson
I am pretty sure Russ would have hit a wide open Larry Fitzgerald and thrown the ball with enough arc that Andy Isabella could have run under it instead of having to stretch for the catch. In both the Lions and Pantehrs game there were too many missed plays for me to throw it on the play caller. I feel like this debate hinges on whether you feel NFL QBs are treated like High School QBs or not. Kyler has multiple options on every pass play and the ability to audible as well. He controls whether or not the ball is pushed down the field or just dumped off short.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This...

what are we preparing for (all week) and can we adjust when they do something different?

Also I watch a lot of young QBs have success under center and find big gainers (simplified reads).

Sometimes we have to mix in under center stuff to help get the running game going and get those big passing plays.

Its like the play call to Daniels last week. It allows you to take advantage of teams trying to stop the run.
This can be true but it is also a huge risk with an inexperienced QB like Murray. Yes, play action opens up big passing plays but it also requires your QB to diagnose the field very quickly after his back has been turned to it. That along with teams desire to key in on Murray could result in more failure than success.Consider on that 4th down to Daniels, Kyler had a dude in his face because teams are so keyed into him.

It is the same with bootlegs. In theory they are great, but when teams fear your QB rolling out of the pocket more than the RB, the DEs or OLBs do not crash inside to stop the RB. They have been told all week to hand with the mobile QB instead and attack his outside shoulder.

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Disagree.

It depends on Kliff's ability to adjust.

Lou, I'm there. We have an advantage in terms of being able to score and hopefully play better defensively than they do, creating stops. This game is very much in his hands because he likely will need to roll with the punches and counter the offense (or hopefully lack thereof) of the Cowboys. KK at times tries to force a square peg into a round hole. This is not the game for that.

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Russ would have hit a wide open Larry Fitzgerald and thrown the ball with enough arc that Andy Isabella could have run under it instead of having to stretch for the catch. In both the Lions and Pantehrs game there were too many missed plays for me to throw it on the play caller. I feel like this debate hinges on whether you feel NFL QBs are treated like High School QBs or not. Kyler has multiple options on every pass play and the ability to audible as well. He controls whether or not the ball is pushed down the field or just dumped off short.

Chopper, I lend credence to this in that Kyler HAS to play better. It frustrates me to no end when I see wide open players with the opportunity to move the chains and Kyler negates those chances with poor decisions. I don't know what is said on the sidelines, but the coach has to drive home the point that those options you mentioned are there. Late in games we're seeing the same 1st quarter mistakes and that falls on the coach. It literally cost us the Lions game. We just got our azz whipped in Carolina from the word go, and VJ's hands are heavy in that L, but KK absolutely needed to ensure a win against Detroit and he (and Kyler) failed.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It seems to me that a lot of posters think that the offensive play calling is more important than the defensive play calling. I hope you're correct.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards have a mediocre defense after facing five average to awful offenses... and now just lost Chandler Jones, with Devon Kennard, Kylie Fitts, Dennis Gardeck, and Rashard Lawrence all nursing injuries and in doubt to play as well... facing the #1 offense in the league! Kinda scary.

...dbs

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cards have a mediocre defense after facing five average to awful offenses... and now just lost Chandler Jones, with Devon Kennard, Kylie Fitts, Dennis Gardeck, and Rashard Lawrence all nursing injuries and in doubt to play as well... facing the #1 offense in the league! Kinda scary.

...dbs

D, the Cowboys WILL move the ball. Make no mistake. Keeping them out of the end zone and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE putting Dalton on the ground will make the difference. The D didn't lay nearly enough wood to Flacco, and I believe he's less mobile than Dalton is.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This can be true but it is also a huge risk with an inexperienced QB like Murray. Yes, play action opens up big passing plays but it also requires your QB to diagnose the field very quickly after his back has been turned to it. That along with teams desire to key in on Murray could result in more failure than success.Consider on that 4th down to Daniels, Kyler had a dude in his face because teams are so keyed into him.

It is the same with bootlegs. In theory they are great, but when teams fear your QB rolling out of the pocket more than the RB, the DEs or OLBs do not crash inside to stop the RB. They have been told all week to hand with the mobile QB instead and attack his outside shoulder.
Its better than the alternative....short swing passes to the rbs/te's out of shotgun.

Russell Wilson made a living out of this to start his career. Kyler should be fine if its mixed in.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

...dbs
They actually have a pretty good defense based on the numbers. Obviously we have faced some poor offenses so we can assume that we aren't as good as the numbers, but let's at least talk about these things honestly. By the numbers they have been a top 10 defense thus far. Adjusting for competition they are probably more like 15-18 or so.

I suppose we will get a test this week against Dallas, but of course if they have a solid game against them than people will just say it is because their backup QB was playing his first game of the season.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Our run "D" (4.5 yds) is 10th on per carry average and our pass "D" (62.3% completion percentage) is 6th in the League and 2nd in the NFC.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Russ would have hit a wide-open Larry Fitzgerald and thrown the ball with enough arc that Andy Isabella could have run under it instead of having to stretch for the catch. In both the Lions and Panthers game, there were too many missed plays for me to throw it on the play-caller. I feel like this debate hinges on whether you feel NFL QBs are treated like High School QBs or not. Kyler has multiple options on every pass play and the ability to audible as well. He controls whether or not the ball is pushed down the field or just dumped off short.

And on the last drive against Detroit, Russell would have taken the easy completion to Andy Isabella over the middle instead of forcing a throw to the double covered Keesean on the sideline.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose