This game will be a treatise of KK's offensive "genius".

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by phillycard, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

Chris Sanders lost me when he said that KK's timid coaching is the reason why IS isn't playing. Or playing more. But I do agree with him about KM.

daves likes this.
  2. Minski

Minski Registered

This will be Simmons coming out party because VJ has run out of excuses to not put him in there, which will lead to VJs firing in that he couldn’t even recognise what he has in Simmons... or at least this is my wish/hope/dream

3. Minski

Minski Registered

some people are so used to mediocrity they don’t know how to react to having nice things.

4. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

seems like the thread has gotten a little "either/or"

so, to respond to the original thread supposition:

i dont think Mondays offensive performance is 100% on KKs coaching.

It has been demonstrated that K1, for all his goodness, is leaving yards on the field that upper tier QBs deliver. I believe that is a function of his inexperience and will go away over time (this monday!) BTW: i think K1 offsets some of those missed reads with his running.

i dont think his completion % is proof in and of itself: a 4 yard check down on 3rd and 10 isnt the same as a 12 yard completion on 3rd and 10.

He is currently ranked 14th in QBR, just below Jared Goff, ahead of QBs like Matt Ryan and Big Ben. For a 2nd year QB, thats awesome.

However, his YPA is 20th -- so he is throwing all sorts of short stuff. How much of that is play call vs his read/choice is up for debate.

We don't know, for example, how many WR screens are K1 options at the line to call. I'm willing to bet that he has the freedom to change a run into a WR screen at the line ( and i would want him to have that option).

Cardiac and daves like this.
  5. WisconsinCard

WisconsinCard Herfin BIg Time Contributor

Has anyone ever heard KM at the line of scrimmage yelling...kill..kill..kill? Honest question, because I have not. There should always be an option of two plays depending on the defensive lineup. This would have some determination on if he is reading the defense presnap.

daves likes this.
  6. WisconsinCard

Should have added I'm not bagging on the guy, just looking to see if he is progressing. I didn't like the pick at the time, but I get it now, and am happy he's a cardinal.

7. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

Hate to tell anyone this, but KM was named NFL Offensive POW.

daves, Minski and GuernseyCard like this.
  8. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

There are always options and "kill, kill, kill" is often a ruse to confuse the "D".

9. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Registered

Relevant article from 10/7/20 (so before Jets game):

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.c...-kingsbury-deander-hopkins-cardinals-offense/

As I suspected, our best formation/play is running out of 10 personnel. Guessing a fair few of those are Kyler designed and/or scramble runs, but still creating space to run via spread is classic Texas and I would expect nothing less from Kliff against this Cowboys defense in Dallas.

It also highlights the need to get more quick game passes to Kirk. The offense was much better at WR screens last year and Kirk’s target rate on his best play type is clearly the reason why we have struggled on those plays this year.

Recipe for success is quick perimeter passing game, running out of 10, and then using those actions to create RPO deep and intermediate shots outside the hashes to Hop and down the seams to Izzy.

Also, Kliff’s 4th down decisionmaking, less the play calls (which have been good) than just the decision to go, is a significant benefit and shouldn’t be handwaved away.

Kliff is clearly a good coach and a good offensive playcaller: he took the 32nd ranked offense by a mile and immediately improved it to 13th (DVOA) with a rookie QB and no receivers. Last year the offense was 22nd in passing DVOA and 2nd in rushing DVOA: I think the rush offense will get better (Drake can’t play worse, Chase will get more looks, and Maxx Williams should be back soon).

This year, the Cardinals are 17th in passing DVOA and 7th in rushing DVOA. Both those numbers will bump up after this week.

daves, cardncubfan and BritCard like this.
  10. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

If you’re making a pie chart of (for lack of a better term, blame) I think think Kyler’s piece is bigger than Kliff’s of why the offense has been slightly below expectations to this point. He was unfairly inserted into the Mahomes/Lamar second year leap projection. He’s just not on their level yet and there’s nothing wrong with that. It doesn’t help team employees are retweeting MVP hype after two weeks.

His arc is just gonna be a year or two behind Lamar in terms of reaching dominant performances. I don’t like bringing up Mahomes because he’s in a different galaxy all together.

11. WisconsinCard

Of course it can be, my point is I don't see him changing the play often. Most times there are two plays called and "kill" just means we're going to play number two. I don't buy the ruse theory at all.

12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

We have played the niners, lions, football team, panthers and jets. If we played good teams that scoring defense wouldn’t be ranked where it is right now.

13. Solar7

Solar7 Not Skeptical

This isn't me judging Kyler here, but it's painful for people to use ESPN's less than 10 year old made up metric as a valid judgement of quarterback success. It's not recognized by the NFL, and is used only to confuse people with the NFL's QB Rating/Passer Rating metric. It's basically the same as a PFF grade.

It's like if we made a WRR, RBR, TER... they're all based on arbitrary in-game definitions of "expected points," not a true statistic.

It should basically be called "player success rating."

14. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

I have actually seen him change a few plays at the line of scrimmage :)

15. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

For sure and that's why I said that I don't think the scoring defense is quite accurate. That being said we are ranked 17th by DVOA and I believe that takes into account opponent. We certainly haven't shown to be a bad defense to this point and of course we won't have a complete understanding until we start facing some better offensive teams like our opponent this week. Like I said though, even if we do well on Monday a lot of people will just say it's because Dak got injured.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020