This game will be a treatise of KK's offensive "genius".

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by phillycard, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

This can be true but it is also a huge risk with an inexperienced QB like Murray. Yes, play action opens up big passing plays but it also requires your QB to diagnose the field very quickly after his back has been turned to it. That along with teams desire to key in on Murray could result in more failure than success.Consider on that 4th down to Daniels, Kyler had a dude in his face because teams are so keyed into him.

It is the same with bootlegs. In theory they are great, but when teams fear your QB rolling out of the pocket more than the RB, the DEs or OLBs do not crash inside to stop the RB. They have been told all week to hand with the mobile QB instead and attack his outside shoulder.

daves and phillycard like this.
  2. phillycard

phillycard Registered

Lou, I'm there. We have an advantage in terms of being able to score and hopefully play better defensively than they do, creating stops. This game is very much in his hands because he likely will need to roll with the punches and counter the offense (or hopefully lack thereof) of the Cowboys. KK at times tries to force a square peg into a round hole. This is not the game for that.

SoonerLou likes this.
  3. phillycard

phillycard Registered

Chopper, I lend credence to this in that Kyler HAS to play better. It frustrates me to no end when I see wide open players with the opportunity to move the chains and Kyler negates those chances with poor decisions. I don't know what is said on the sidelines, but the coach has to drive home the point that those options you mentioned are there. Late in games we're seeing the same 1st quarter mistakes and that falls on the coach. It literally cost us the Lions game. We just got our azz whipped in Carolina from the word go, and VJ's hands are heavy in that L, but KK absolutely needed to ensure a win against Detroit and he (and Kyler) failed.

4. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

It seems to me that a lot of posters think that the offensive play calling is more important than the defensive play calling. I hope you're correct.

5. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

Cards have a mediocre defense after facing five average to awful offenses... and now just lost Chandler Jones, with Devon Kennard, Kylie Fitts, Dennis Gardeck, and Rashard Lawrence all nursing injuries and in doubt to play as well... facing the #1 offense in the league! Kinda scary.

...dbs

6. phillycard

phillycard Registered

D, the Cowboys WILL move the ball. Make no mistake. Keeping them out of the end zone and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE putting Dalton on the ground will make the difference. The D didn't lay nearly enough wood to Flacco, and I believe he's less mobile than Dalton is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  7. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

Its better than the alternative....short swing passes to the rbs/te's out of shotgun.

Russell Wilson made a living out of this to start his career. Kyler should be fine if its mixed in.

8. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

They actually have a pretty good defense based on the numbers. Obviously we have faced some poor offenses so we can assume that we aren't as good as the numbers, but let's at least talk about these things honestly. By the numbers they have been a top 10 defense thus far. Adjusting for competition they are probably more like 15-18 or so.

I suppose we will get a test this week against Dallas, but of course if they have a solid game against them than people will just say it is because their backup QB was playing his first game of the season.

GuernseyCard likes this.
  9. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Our run "D" (4.5 yds) is 10th on per carry average and our pass "D" (62.3% completion percentage) is 6th in the League and 2nd in the NFC.

cardncubfan and daves like this.
  10. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

And on the last drive against Detroit, Russell would have taken the easy completion to Andy Isabella over the middle instead of forcing a throw to the double covered Keesean on the sideline.

BritCard likes this.
  11. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

I assume a lot of fired OC's would use the argument that everything was about execution.

The GM's that fired them argued back you should have used creative ways to help your players execute and not go complete wide eyed look because a guy missed a few throws.

Kliff smartly used Kyler's legs to help us take the lead against the Lions...and then went away from it.

Panthers game...well they threw the same same defense that held us to season low yards/attempt as the year before. So I question how well was the team prepped during the week.

Is it all on the play caller? NO.

But the blameless reaction..lol. This isnt college. Kliff's not going to make it long if he cant consistently adjust when its clear certain things arent working.

Thats where its important to be very versatile on offense and not limited. Sometimes your players arent going to execute things very well. You have to work around it.

I've watched enough Rams/49ers games to see McVay and Shannahan do just that.

phillycard and cardncubfan like this.
  12. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

Wouldn't the 2nd half of the Jets game be a good example of making adjustments?

As a matter of fact I feel like we have generally been a better 2nd half team this year than first half.

We need to do a better job of getting out to a good start and if we do than it would appear that we would have a good chance against just about anyone.

Of course that can be put on him for not coming up with a better game plan to start the game. He seems to do better when he starts play calling on the fly as opposed to the scripted plays early in the game.

phillycard and daves like this.
  13. TRW

TRW Registered

KM has to execute. He HAS to hit the wide open guys, period. He's leaving a TON of plays out there. It's all part of his maturing, I know that, but he HAS to go off of his first read and see the field better. If he does that, then I think this offense will be unstoppable.

It's on Murray to become great. KK can't throw the ball to the wide open guys, he depends on KM to do so. I think it will come and I hope it's SOON.

phillycard and daves like this.
  14. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

I'm not saying he didnt. I'm not here to dump on Kliff. I'm just saying we go as he adjusts.

Kyler's play making skills usually makes up for when he misses a throw or screws up a play, etc....or bails us out of a crappy play. Yes he needs to execute better.

We adjusted in the Lions game....and then went away from it.

Panthers game I think we really needed to move the pocket and didnt.

Jets game...I had no issues with the gameplan at all when watching All 22. Solid plan early and like how we got aggressive later.

15. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Chopper0080, cardncubfan and daves like this.