Thinking Defensively

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Much like the offense, there is no large number of players who dominate at their position. The Cards, especially last season, tried to solve many key defensive slots by signing free agents. Overall this strategy failed. So here we go again.

The most contentious positions will be found within the secondary. It starts with Patrick Peterson. Once perhaps the dominant corner in the league, Peterson has clearly lost a step. He’s still a decent corner but his self-perception has never been real world. He still believes he is a shut down corner. He isn’t. He was often beaten on speed routes and coming out of breaks. Teams constantly ran receivers across the field, but separation almost always occurred when they cut. Occasionally there seemed to be confusion about what defense the secondary was playing. Peterson often appeared to be looking for help that wasn’t there. He seemed to be playing zone while others were in man. Much of this falls to coaching. However Peterson should be one of the guys responsible for cleaning this up but it persisted through out the season.

IMO I could see offering Peterson a reduced contract. I just don’t seeing him accepting it. I often see players wanting to be paid as legacy players. The cap has ended that option in most cases. Peterson is a decent CB and he should be paid like one. However, he should not be paid like a top 5 corner. I see him leaving.

Almost as controversial is what to do with Murphy. He was finally able to play as a slot corner. However he was certainly not consistently successful in that role. He appears to have stiff hips. As such, like Peterson, he allows separation to fluid receivers. Some have suggested moving him to safety. He’d have to bulk up. Currently he’s not strong enough to handle that role. He’s not going to start ahead of Baker. His ball skills would seem to disqualify him from the other slot. Though clearly Thompson lacks them as well. Combined with Baker seldom playing the ball this tells you why the safeties intercept so few passes. It’s not even worth discussing Fitzpatrick. This guy gives more cushion than La-Z-Boy. It was frustrating to watch team after team target whatever receiver he was covering. The best backup was likely Kevin Peterson. Joseph showed a little skill but appears too fragile. Neither of these guys is a starter. No one else in this group should be on the roster.

Looking at the ILBs, it’s another blood bath. Of course Simmons stays and hopefully starts. While Hicks played well, especially against the run, his first years he’s deteriorated significantly. His pass coverage is terrible still and his run stopping now leaves much to be desired. I warn you the Cards like him much better than me, so maybe he stays. On the theory you can’t replace everyone, I’d keep Campbell. He had a strange collection of good games & weak games. His price is right. He did handle some of the TEs effectively, which freed up Baker to be more disruptive. The backups were all forgettable. Just changing names might help since they might get lucky.

OLBs begin with another concern. Jones has been great but seemed to regress before he was injured. Next year with an expiring contract, if he’s got anything left, he should be a force. If he starts hot the Cards will surely try to extend him. They will try to re-sign Reddick, who like Campbell ran hot & cold. If Jones has a big year, Reddick could be in for a banner year. He figures to get better in any case. Golden played well and unless he believes he has to start, he should be affordable giving the Cards one position of excellent depth. Gardeck emerge as a situational pass rusher and remains a special teams force. Dump the rest, including Kennard who looks through.

The line is another mess. I’m lumping them together because several could play inside or out. Peters will be given a chance to return. His contract says Phillips stays, but he had an invisible year. Peko arrived motivated and showed he has some run stopping ability left. I’d keep him if only for situational options. He wants to live on the west coast, so he should fit the budget. Fotu had some moments but is crude technique wise. Lawrence also flashed a little but lacked power. Blackson & Allen rotated in. Blackson made more plays but Allen was steadier. Neither one was outstanding. Mauro will be dumped. This is a ragtag group of mercenaries that is difficult to sort. Peters provided critical leadership. Phillips has to stay. Fotu, Peko & Lawrence are cheap. I’m guessing Allen is in the most jeopardy. This is a lousy draft for defensive linemen. Free agency will have some opportunities but I don’t like the Cards chance of success, as they’ve mostly done better grabbing near retirement players, not long term solutions.

Like the offense some will tout Joseph for staying due to this personnel weakness. I say lack of consistent game planning necessitates a change. Between question marks and no consistency this might be the weakest defensive personnel group in many years. This will certainly be hard to fix in one offseason, but that’s a story for another day.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
For as much as you disregard our current corners, cards d was top 10 in pass yards allowed last year.

There were only 10 teams that gave up more rush yards per game and none of them made the playoffs.

Peterson is still a good cb, he still follows top WR which even ramsey doesn't always do. I don't mind hanging onto krikpatrick unless we sign better options.

Our defense seemed to break at very critical parts of game. We also got lit up by young or inexperienced qbs. Not sure there is an easy fix but it just feels like the underperformed

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
i like Vallejo as a backup. he may not be that fast but he doesn’t over pursue and plays hard

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Much like the offense, there is no large number of players who dominate at their position. The Cards, especially last season, tried to solve many key defensive slots by signing free agents. Overall this strategy failed. So here we go again.

The most contentious positions will be found within the secondary. It starts with Patrick Peterson. Once perhaps the dominant corner in the league, Peterson has clearly lost a step. He’s still a decent corner but his self-perception has never been real world. He still believes he is a shut down corner. He isn’t. He was often beaten on speed routes and coming out of breaks. Teams constantly ran receivers across the field, but separation almost always occurred when they cut. Occasionally there seemed to be confusion about what defense the secondary was playing. Peterson often appeared to be looking for help that wasn’t there. He seemed to be playing zone while others were in man. Much of this falls to coaching. However Peterson should be one of the guys responsible for cleaning this up but it persisted through out the season.

IMO I could see offering Peterson a reduced contract. I just don’t seeing him accepting it. I often see players wanting to be paid as legacy players. The cap has ended that option in most cases. Peterson is a decent CB and he should be paid like one. However, he should not be paid like a top 5 corner. I see him leaving.

Almost as controversial is what to do with Murphy. He was finally able to play as a slot corner. However he was certainly not consistently successful in that role. He appears to have stiff hips. As such, like Peterson, he allows separation to fluid receivers. Some have suggested moving him to safety. He’d have to bulk up. Currently he’s not strong enough to handle that role. He’s not going to start ahead of Baker. His ball skills would seem to disqualify him from the other slot. Though clearly Thompson lacks them as well. Combined with Baker seldom playing the ball this tells you why the safeties intercept so few passes. It’s not even worth discussing Fitzpatrick. This guy gives more cushion than La-Z-Boy. It was frustrating to watch team after team target whatever receiver he was covering. The best backup was likely Kevin Peterson. Joseph showed a little skill but appears too fragile. Neither of these guys is a starter. No one else in this group should be on the roster.

Looking at the ILBs, it’s another blood bath. Of course Simmons stays and hopefully starts. While Hicks played well, especially against the run, his first years he’s deteriorated significantly. His pass coverage is terrible still and his run stopping now leaves much to be desired. I warn you the Cards like him much better than me, so maybe he stays. On the theory you can’t replace everyone, I’d keep Campbell. He had a strange collection of good games & weak games. His price is right. He did handle some of the TEs effectively, which freed up Baker to be more disruptive. The backups were all forgettable. Just changing names might help since they might get lucky.

OLBs begin with another concern. Jones has been great but seemed to regress before he was injured. Next year with an expiring contract, if he’s got anything left, he should be a force. If he starts hot the Cards will surely try to extend him. They will try to re-sign Reddick, who like Campbell ran hot & cold. If Jones has a big year, Reddick could be in for a banner year. He figures to get better in any case. Golden played well and unless he believes he has to start, he should be affordable giving the Cards one position of excellent depth. Gardeck emerge as a situational pass rusher and remains a special teams force. Dump the rest, including Kennard who looks through.

The line is another mess. I’m lumping them together because several could play inside or out. Peters will be given a chance to return. His contract says Phillips stays, but he had an invisible year. Peko arrived motivated and showed he has some run stopping ability left. I’d keep him if only for situational options. He wants to live on the west coast, so he should fit the budget. Fotu had some moments but is crude technique wise. Lawrence also flashed a little but lacked power. Blackson & Allen rotated in. Blackson made more plays but Allen was steadier. Neither one was outstanding. Mauro will be dumped. This is a ragtag group of mercenaries that is difficult to sort. Peters provided critical leadership. Phillips has to stay. Fotu, Peko & Lawrence are cheap. I’m guessing Allen is in the most jeopardy. This is a lousy draft for defensive linemen. Free agency will have some opportunities but I don’t like the Cards chance of success, as they’ve mostly done better grabbing near retirement players, not long term solutions.

Like the offense some will tout Joseph for staying due to this personnel weakness. I say lack of consistent game planning necessitates a change. Between question marks and no consistency this might be the weakest defensive personnel group in many years. This will certainly be hard to fix in one offseason, but that’s a story for another day.[/QUOTE]

VJ had to contend with the loss of C. Jones and they still generated 48 sacks (4th). He adjusted as best he could to the decimation of his "D" line and other week-to-week unavailabilities. Are there shortcomings? Of course, but there is a year-over-year improvement and the chances of him not being at the helm of the "D" next season are slim and none - IMO.

2020 vs 2019 (Defence)

2020: Yds per game: 353 (13)
2019: Yds per game: 402 (32)
2020: rush: 125 (22)
2019: rush: 120 (23)
2020: pass: 226 (10)
2019: pass: 281 (31)
2020: QBR: 91.5 (15)
2019: QBR: 109.9 (32)
2020: sacks: 48 (4)
2019: sacks: 40 (18)
2020: 3rd down: 39.6 (12)
2019: 3rd down: 46.7 (30)
2020: Pts per game: 22.9 (12)
2019: Pts per game: 27.6 (28)

Reaction score

Like the offense some will tout Joseph for staying due to this personnel weakness. I say lack of consistent game planning necessitates a change. Between question marks and no consistency this might be the weakest defensive personnel group in many years. This will certainly be hard to fix in one offseason, but that’s a story for another day.

How many teams have a large numbers of players that dominate at their position on offense or defense? What do you call a large number of players? Btw, Allen is in the least jeopardy IMO.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i appreciate Harry's analysis

but at the end, i conclude that the team is in worse shape than the Jets

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i appreciate Harry's analysis

but at the end, i conclude that team is in worse shape than the Jets

this is pretty much what this is now.

you would think were in the running for the number 1 pick. The numbers for our offense and defense improved greatly from last year. Is it perfect no, is there a magic wand you can wave and make everything great in a offseason....nope

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yawn. typical Harry post lacking objectivity.

I stopped reading when you said Zach Allen has the highest risk of getting cut. He was coming on strong at the end of the year and progressing nicely.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For as much as you disregard our current corners, cards d was top 10 in pass yards allowed last year.

There were only 10 teams that gave up more rush yards per game and none of them made the playoffs.

Peterson is still a good cb, he still follows top WR which even ramsey doesn't always do. I don't mind hanging onto krikpatrick unless we sign better options.

Our defense seemed to break at very critical parts of game. We also got lit up by young or inexperienced qbs. Not sure there is an easy fix but it just feels like the underperformed

Fwiw, I our pass d was only top ten because teams didn’t have to throw the ball once our entire line was out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Guernsey:

I accept that you can only play who is on your schedule. But knowing the competition helps to put those numbers in perspective. How many 9 loss teams did we play in 2019? How many backup QBs or rookie QBs in their second game? Context?

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do we need any other anecdotal evidence? Look at what the Rams did with a QB that is half as good as ours

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

Good place to start. How much are you willing to pay him and how many years? I think you’re going to find the Cards will be hard pressed to make him happy. Keep in mind he doesn’t play well when he’s not happy.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
How many teams have a large numbers of players that dominate at their position on offense or defense? What do you call a large number of players? Btw, Allen is in the least jeopardy IMO.
Pick a playoff team and let’s look

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Zach Allen is still under rookie contract. In his second year, I thought he began coming on. No way are the cardinals going to cut him before year 3.

Yawn. typical Harry post lacking objectivity.

I stopped reading when you said Zach Allen has the highest risk of getting cut. He was coming on strong at the end of the year and progressing nicely.

I expected flack on this one. Played 4 games, 1 start last season. Played 13 games, 7 starts this year, with tons of DL injuries (including his). He is fragile. He has never caused or recovered a fumble. In about half his games his tackle & assists total is 2 or less. He finally got 2 sacks this season. He’s cheap, so they may keep him, but his production is not significant. Yeah, they may keep him but tell me why you like him. He did play his best late in 2 of the last 3. Not certain that’s a ringing endorsement. He played half the snaps against San Fran and I’d little.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I expected flack on this one. Played 4 games, 1 start last season. Played 13 games, 7 starts this year, with tons of DL injuries (including his). He is fragile. He has never caused or recovered a fumble. In about half his games his tackle & assists total is 2 or less. He finally got 2 sacks this season. He’s cheap, so they may keep him, but his production is not significant. Yeah, they may keep him but tell me why you like him. He did play his best late in 2 of the last 3. Not certain that’s a ringing endorsement. He played half the snaps against San Fran and I’d little.
a dlineman can have a great game with only 2 tackles or none at all. last 1/4 of the season he was the interior dlineman providing the most penetration and was the most violent off the ball.

Aaron Donald, arguably the best player in football, averaged 2.75 tackles this year.
Zach Allen averaged 2.69 tackles a game this year.

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Good place to start. How much are you willing to pay him and how many years? I think you’re going to find the Cards will be hard pressed to make him happy. Keep in mind he doesn’t play well when he’s not happy.
I have him sign a contract something like this;

4 years 50 million - 20 million at signing.

Year 1 salary - 1 mil - cap hit 6 mi

Year two salary 5 mil - cap hit 10 mil

Year three salary 9 mil - cap hit 14 mil

Final year salary15 mil - 20 mil cap hit.

Obliviously hrs not seeing year 4 and is released with 5 mil dead money. That's 35 over 3 years and very cap friendly.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
A concern I have is will KK even think of building the defense on draft day,? The dude is only concerned with his offense. Not that he has the final say but his input will be valued.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
a dlineman can have a great game with only 2 tackles or none at all. last 1/4 of the season he was the interiod dlineman providing the most penetration and was the most violent off the ball.

Aaron Donald, arguably the best player in football, averaged 2.75 tackles this year.
Zach Allen averaged 2.69 tackles a game this year.
Donald is focused on penetration in their defensive scheme. A better comparison would be a DE. Brockers averaged a combined 4 tackles and assists per game. He also had 5 sacks.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I have him sign a contract something like this;

4 years 50 million - 20 million at signing.

Year 1 salary - 1 mil - cap hit 6 mi

Year two salary 5 mil - cap hit 10 mil

Year three salary 9 mil - cap hit 14 mil

Final year salary15 mil - 20 mil cap hit.

Obliviously hrs not seeing year 4 and is released with 5 mil dead money. That's 35 over 3 years and very cap friendly.
Total is about right, but i don’t see him taking only $6 mil year one. Plus getting cut in year 3 & 4 is a huge risk. You’re still talking about huge money for one fairly good year.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
do you really believe this roster is worse than the Jets?

then KK is a genius to squeeze 8 wins out of it
do you really believe this roster is worse than the Jets?

then KK is a genius to squeeze 8 wins out of it

I was cracking wise, however let’s see who the defense faced
WK1. SF Both starting receivers. Top TE left game injured
WK2. WFT. The starting QB was subsequently released
WK3. Debt lost to a team that ended 5-11

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose