Thinking about it... let's shoot for Cousins.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Alright, I want a rookie QBotF as much as anyone. But where we're going to end up... I don't think it's possible to trade up high enough to get one of the top two guys because of who is going to be in the top three. And I think we have to give up the future to do so even if we tried - in a way we can't make up for.

If Palmer and Fitz go, we're going to have a lot of available cap room. Bring in Kirk, give him a top flight RB (DJ) with a manageable defense, and rebuild the WR corps in FA - since he seems to be able to get production from nothing. Either Arians or a decent offensive coach can work with him. It almost fits the narrative of the NFC West - with the exception of Goff, middle-aged QBs that are paid highly... with Goff soon to fit that bill, I'm sure. The benefit is that we'd have a similar star RB, like the Rams. Maintain our draft picks, and rebuild the lines, instead of trading up for an unknown quantity.

The Cardinals aren't primed for a complete rebuild, let's use the capital we have right now to reload this team and get it going in the short term.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It would depend on who the Cardinals hire as HC. I think a John DeFilippo and Kurt Cousins combo could be very similar to the Sean Payton/Drew Brees one with the Saints. They win with tempo and creative game planning.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Okay Solar, with Cousins the Cards would know what they have, but...at a very, very high price. I see Stafford in Detroit as a fairly similar situation and, to be honest, not crazy w/what I see: a very costly QB, who puts up pretty good numbers, but doesn’t win championships. Yes, locking him up solidified Detroit’s O for years, but it’s also guaranteed them years of playoff potential without the possibility of postseason success. As fans, is that what we’d want? I say (resoundingly) no!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Cousins is horribly average. I'd take Tyrod Taylor over him any day and Taylor will come remarkably cheaper. I mean, who in their right mind thinks Cousins is worth $25 million?
I bet he gets that much, minimum, in the off season while Taylor will be lucky to get half that. And that's as it should be. Taylor is nowhere near the QB Cousins is.

I'm all for this idea.

You get a proven 95+ QB rating guy, with a WR corp based on Josh Doctson and Jameison Crowder and no running game, entering his prime over spending draft capital, trade capital, and still a bunch of money for a guy you HOPE, but odds are against, plays at the level Cousins has already shown the ability to do.

I would like to know the negatives on Cousins. 65% comp rate, 27:10 TD/INT ratio, over 4000 yards, 98.5 rating, and is athletic enough to make plays with his feet. And, it's not like this year is a fluke. He's thrown 25+TD's, over a 97 rating, and over 4000 yards three years running. All this with his best WR likely being Pierre Garcon in that time and not a single RB rush over 751 yards and Alfred Morris being the best of the bunch.

Mitch

Reaction score
We complain all the time---and rightly so---about our QB's lack of accuracy. Well, Kurt Cousins is more accurate than any QB we've had since the best years of Kurt Warner.

Cousins---65.7%, 99-52 TD-int, 94.8 QBR

Palmer---62.5%, 294-187 TD-int, 87.9 QBR

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate the thought process and the logic behind the decision laid out by the OP. But my belief is to burn it to the ground and start again. The ultimate no risk it no biscuit. Do whatever possible to land the QBOTF. All inherent risks accepted. If it doesnt work,

DO IT AGAIN.

Until you get there.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Okay Solar, with Cousins the Cards would know what they have, but...at a very, very high price. I see Stafford in Detroit as a fairly similar situation and, to be honest, not crazy w/what I see: a very costly QB, who puts up pretty good numbers, but doesn’t win championships. Yes, locking him up solidified Detroit’s O for years, but it’s also guaranteed them years of playoff potential without the possibility of postseason success. As fans, is that what we’d want? I say (resoundingly) no!
I'd take Stafford in a second too. The thing Stafford and Cousins have been missing is any sort of running game. You put either of them on an offense with a RB like David Johnson and you'll see their ability to win in the playoffs increase dramatically. Plus, playoffs wins aren't easy to come by. Taking away Aaron Rodgers 4-0 Super Bowl run, he's 2 games under .500 in the playoffs.

Give me a QB who makes getting to the playoffs every year a realistic possibility any day of the week.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I appreciate the thought process and the logic behind the decision laid out by the OP. But my belief is to burn it to the ground and start again. The ultimate no risk it no biscuit. Do whatever possible to land the QBOTF. All inherent risks accepted. If it doesnt work,

DO IT AGAIN.

Until you get there.
But wouldn't signing Cousins be your QBOF? It's not like he's a 36 year old QB. He's not even 30 yet. Signing Drew Brees would more fit your scenario.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But wouldn't signing Cousins be your QBOF? It's not like he's a 36 year old QB. He's not even 30 yet. Signing Drew Brees would more fit your scenario.

Not to me. Its a valid point, but I dont see a single FA to be QB out there that looks like someone to take us to the promised land. I understand the "He'll get us to the playoffs and there, anything can happen" argument. I subscribed to it in 08 and would support it again if thats the route they decide to go this year. BUt what I really want, and have never seen this organization do (with possibly an attempt made with Leinart) is to roll the freking bones and do whatever necessary to draft a QBOTF. An Elway, a Marino. Rogers, Montana. Go for it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about Cousins is what he would cost. I don't know what else there is to NOT like about him. I just don't know how much it would allow us to repair the rest of the offense. We need some receivers and we need a couple of o-linemen.

Cousins can spin it guys. Add our dynamic running game and Cousins would be even better.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Not to me. Its a valid point, but I dont see a single FA to be QB out there that looks like someone to take us to the promised land. I understand the "He'll get us to the playoffs and there, anything can happen" argument. I subscribed to it in 08 and would support it again if thats the route they decide to go this year. BUt what I really want, and have never seen this organization do (with possibly an attempt made with Leinart) is to roll the freking bones and do whatever necessary to draft a QBOTF. An Elway, a Marino. Rogers, Montana. Go for it.
I agree. If they were going to get a HOF QB through the draft, I'd be all for it. I don't like those odds though. They'll probably have to go through numerous candidates, and a lot of luck, to get a guy like that.

My point is, if they draft a Rosen, who I really like, the realistic expectation is that he'll perform at the level Cousins in currently playing. Chances are the guy won't and 3-4 years later, you're picking the next guy and hopes he plays to the level of Cousins.

But I see your point. If you get a Rodgers, Ben, Brady you're set but those are very few and far between. You're more likely to get a Bortles.

Mitch

Reaction score
It is no secret that prior to trading for Jimmy Garoppolo, Kyle Shanahan was hoping to land Kurt Cousins as his QB. With Cousins' situation with the Redskins in flux, Shanahan decided to go with the bird in hand and traded for Jimmy G.

Who helped to make Kurt Cousins so accurate and successful in Washington? Rams' HC Sean McVay. In McVay's last year as OC in DC, Cousins passed for 69.8%, had a 29-11 TD-int ratio and a QBR of 101.6.

If the Cardinals want to compete in the NFC West, they have to acquire a QB who can rival Wilson, Goff and Garoppolo.

Wilson---64.1%, 159-56 TD-int, 96.7 QBR
Goff---59.8%, 33-14 TD-int, 89.4 QBR
Garoppolo---68.2%, 10-3 TD-int, 101.8 QBR
Cousins---65.7%, 99-52 TD-int, 94.8 QBR

If Sean McVay could trade Jared Goff for Kurt Cousins, he would do it in the snap of a finger.

Now---if you are looking at this year's college prospects---here are their career % and TD-int numbers:

Rosen---60.8%, 59-26
Darnold---65.3%, 57-21
Mayfield---68.6%, 129-29
Jackson---57.4%, 67-33
Allen---56.2%, 41-21
Rudolph---63.2%, 90-26 (this year: 65.0%, 35-9)
Falk---68.3%, 119-39

If the Cardinals put a premium on QB accuracy---then Mayfield, Falk, Darnold and Rudolph are your top 4. To draft Mayfield or Darnold the Cardinals are going to have to trade up and give up a plethora of picks. In the long run it could be well worth it. They likely will be able to draft Falk or Rudolph with their 1st round pick (currently #13). Some pundits think Rudolph and Falk will go in Round 2. The Cardinals currently pick at #45 in Round 2. My guess is Rudolph is long gone by then, but Falk would probably be available. The rap of Falk is that he has such high percentage numbers because of the system he plays in...lots of quick WR bubble screens and high percentage short passes.

For all the talk about Josh Rosen, the highest he is has ever passed for is 62.5%, which was this year. Some will blame his surrounding cast and the coaching. Rosen looks the part---but he's never proven it, at least percentage-wise.

Again, if the Cardinals are going to stress accuracy, would it better for them to sign Kurt Cousins and not have to trade up in the draft and use their 10 picks on the best valuable talent?

I am for one or the other---if we can trade up to draft Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold, great. But, if we can't get a willing trade partner, like last year, can we feel good about drafting Mason Rudolph or Luke Falk? In that scenario, while I see things in both Rudolph and Falk that I like, I would much rather go with Kurt Cousins and use the draft picks on WR, OL, TE, LB, CB.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
If the Cards would trade up for a small, averaged arm QB from a gimmicky QB friendly offense, I may be in the market for a new TV come the end of April.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree. If they were going to get a HOF QB through the draft, I'd be all for it. I don't like those odds though. They'll probably have to go through numerous candidates, and a lot of luck, to get a guy like that.

My point is, if they draft a Rosen, who I really like, the realistic expectation is that he'll perform at the level Cousins in currently playing. Chances are the guy won't and 3-4 years later, you're picking the next guy and hopes he plays to the level of Cousins.

But I see your point. If you get a Rodgers, Ben, Brady you're set but those are very few and far between. You're more likely to get a Bortles.

I guess the only other issue then is cost. A slotted draft pick, though he comes with a plethora of unknowns (Id argue so does the FA as surrounding personnel has such a HUGE impact on individual performance), costs A LOT less than the purported 25M Cousins is going to fetch. We can address a lot more holes with a drafted player than a signed one.

The risk is definitely much greater, but the reward, a la a Russell Wilson type get, is far greater IMO.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Why are we still making threads about Cousins?

Cousins is not a next-level QB. He’s done nothing to bring Washington into relevancy and for what he’d bring to another franchise, is not worth $25 mil/season, particularly for a team with little cap room.

Plus, Jurecki has indicated more than once that Arizona has no interest.

Reaction score
We could do a hell of a lot worse than Cousins & we have before. Any college QB is going to be a crap shoot. I would take Cousins any day. Darnold, Mayfield, Rudolph, & Falk are the only accurate QB's coming out. Rosen is barely over 60%. I would pass on any QB that has less than a 50% completion percentage. Like others have said you can't teach accuracy.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
College stats for QB's have to be taken with a grain of salt. Drew Brees threw for 60.8% and 60.4% his last two years. Tim Tebow was above 66% 3 out of 4 years and 64% the other. You have to watch the tape to evaluate these guys.

Mitch

Reaction score
Why are we still making threads about Cousins?

Cousins is not a next-level QB. He’s done nothing to bring Washington into relevancy and for what he’d bring to another franchise, is not worth $25 mil/season, particularly for a team with little cap room.

Plus, Jurecki has indicated more than once that Arizona has no interest.

Yes, with BA as HC...no interest in Cousins. And if BA stays...no interest in Cousins. But, if BA retires, that could change the dynamics.

I would argue that Cousins has made the Redskins relevant. In 2015 Cousins led the Redskins to their first NFC East title since 2012. They lost in the playoffs to Aaron Rodgers and GB. Cousins was 29/46, 63%, 329 yds,, 1-0 TD-int. 91.7 QBR in that game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...0a2203f6c8d_story.html?utm_term=.6771869e87fb

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson