Things That Suck

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Kel Varnsen, May 1, 2006.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

That sucks. :(

2. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

That sucks, JG

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  3. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

I've got basically the same situation. My general mgr and her assistant were on company business in her personal car. A lady T boned them... GM wasn't really hurt, just a few bumps and bruises. Her assistant was the passenger side and got popped pretty good especially from the air bag. She had to have treatments and physical therapy for months to the tune of $25K. The car was totalled. The lady had insurance and I have workers comp so I figured it would all come out in the wash. Low and behold I got my experience mod for my workers comp and it like doubled my premiums. So I called them and said, what's up with that, the lady had insurance, it should be subrogated to her insurance. My Insurance company told me that could take up to 2 years to settle, meanwhile I'm stuck with double premiums. Money I'll never see refunded. It's still 2020 right? This year can't get over soon enough for me.

jf-08 likes this.
  4. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Damn, that sucks!

My insurance agent said my insurance wouldn't go up if she was at fault. Well, I was still, she rear-ended me, and she was cited, so I think we are good there. It just ticks me off that you can do the right thing and still get screwed (and not in a good way).

5. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Found out today that my dad (69 years old) has bladder cancer. He has had some spots in the past and is diligent about checking things since his family has a history of cancer. (Mom, brother, sister, niece ... all died from cancer.) He'll start treatment after Christmas.

The good news is they caught it early and there is an 80% success rate with the treatment, so if you're gonna get cancer, I guess this is a good one to get. Still, I am concerned. So any prayers or good thoughts you can throw out there would be appreciated. Thanks!

6. MrYeahbut

You're right, the success rate is pretty high. My brother survived it, so can your dad!!!

Jersey Girl likes this.
  7. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

That's great that they're on this early. Sending the healthy thoughts now!!!

Jersey Girl likes this.
  8. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Best wishes to your Dad - he’s a great guy

Jersey Girl likes this.
  9. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

Best wishes to your dad JG - hopefully can pull optimism through treatment with a more favorable prognosis

Jersey Girl likes this.
  10. MigratingOsprey

Stay on top of it for the adjustment. Subrogation can be lengthy and can be limited by the limits the other party carries..... If the extent is $25k medicals that should be easy - if there was lost work, wages, etc that can be more complicated

If you ever have an accidental, really push for return to work and modified duty - even if you have them sorting mail or just busy work.

If you keep a WC claim to "medical only" with no indemnity payments, not only is the claim going to be lower value, but NCCI then will discount that value by 70% before putting it into the calculation

The minute it comes down and there is some recovery then ask for them to update NCCI and the unit stat reporting - if you have an agent they should help you advocate for this as well

Keep in mind that the experience period for a claim would be calculated based on the prior 3 full experience years

So if you had a 1/1 date for experience, as of today it would be like this:

20-21: Current term, excluded for experience calculation
    19-20:. Included in experience
    18-19:. Included in experience
    17-18:. Included in experience
    16-17: No longer included in experience

When the experience term turns the clock and you enter the 21-22 experience year, the 20-21 policy would then move into the calculation and the 17-18 year would drop off

Rates have been going down for WC, but it's pretty rough out there for all commercial insurance

11. MrYeahbut

@MigratingOsprey

I had this exact convo with my agent today. He's a guy I've been doing business with for dang near 40 years so I trust him. We think the medical claims will out strip the at fault insured's coverage... Anyway we're into this 18 months and my man Bart has some pull, so he's going to try to get to the bottom of it.

Don't quote me here, but I think the laws on NM require my carrier to pay for medical. So they pay and before the claim is subrogated to the at fault driver, since that process is so lengthy my insurance company turns that into NCCI and leaves me stuck with a higher mod because the company responsible never paid.... Meanwhile I'm basically lending money to insurance companies..... Weasels, the lot of them

12. MigratingOsprey

Are you with Bart K over there?

It's fairly common for the at faults party to not have adequate insurance - especially here in AZ where the state minimums are so low

Most of those carriers won't argue though, the dollars are low enough they'll just cut the check and move the problem to someone else's plate

Constantly talking with insureds about making sure drivers using their personal vehicle during business require drivers to carry a designated minimum limit (typically at least 100/300) and obtain proof of insurance to help keep losses off their auto policy as much as possible

WC is statute driven coverage so the carrier will follow the rules sweet forth by the individual states and NCCI did there own thing with mod calculations and rates in states that subscribe with them

Us carrier people don't always like it, but we all have to work within the system

Just keep an eye on that recovery and if the claim value drops make sure NCCI updates what is in their data

13. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

We lost a true American hero yesterday.

Rest in peace, AF Brig. Gen. Charles Yeager.

Word on the street is he made it to heaven faster than anybody before him.

Hollywood likes this.
  14. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

working my job in december

15. MigratingOsprey

This is my busiest time of year and it's always crazy

Had to squeeze in dental work yesterday and I had a tooth break at the roots and need to be ripped out, can think of other things is rather spend $2,300 on than getting this fixed........

Also just passed my dad's first birthday since his passing as well as the 1 year mark of his death

Still take can't complain though

My wife has had to deal with all the Covid craziness, including a couple teachers testing positive

On top of that, one of her staff recently had a husband have a heart attack (doing better), a friend with a husband on a ventilator with Covid (doing better, but still in a tough spot) and a staff member whose husband was murdered

So many people going through so much - can be really tough out there

Bunch of no fun emotions, but still center and try to focus on all that is good