Thing that scares me the most

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Every time i get optimistic about things, notably the last 4 games stretch, i remind myself how bad this front office is.

If you look back over the last 8-10 years, the ONLY moves I can think of that were good moves were drafting TJ, drafting Dbook, and trading for Oubre.

The upsetting part is that it has been noted multiple places the Suns wanted Kaminsky over Dbook and tried to trade up for him. In other words, they got Dbook despite themeleves not inspite of themselves.

As for Oubre, that wasnt even the original trade, he was supposed to go to Memphis in the original deal. Because of that disaster, all the players had to be moved and Suns did any deal they could, thus getting Oubre despite their stupidity.

In summary, basically 3/100 moves have been good, and 2 of them were sheer dumb luck.

Could you imagine if Suns had Kaminsky now, and no Oubre? If the front office had their way, thats where Suns would be sitting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every time i get optimistic about things, notably the last 4 games stretch, i remind myself how bad this front office is.

If you look back over the last 8-10 years, the ONLY moves I can think of that were good moves were drafting TJ, drafting Dbook, and trading for Oubre.

The upsetting part is that it has been noted multiple places the Suns wanted Kaminsky over Dbook and tried to trade up for him. In other words, they got Dbook despite themeleves not inspite of themselves.

As for Oubre, that wasnt even the original trade, he was supposed to go to Memphis in the original deal. Because of that disaster, all the players had to be moved and Suns did any deal they could, thus getting Oubre despite their stupidity.

In summary, basically 3/100 moves have been good, and 2 of them were sheer dumb luck.

Could you imagine if Suns had Kaminsky now, and no Oubre? If the front office had their way, thats where Suns would be sitting.
I can think of some others.

Getting a pick for Markieff.
Drafting Ayton.
Drafting Mikal.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the reports are true that McD was trying to trade for SGA rather than Bridges, would you rather have Shai or Mikal?
Mikal was a good move on its own. Trying to compare moves you made with the ones you wanted to make would be an endless process. Everyone wants to make better moves than the ones they actually make.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mikal was a good move on its own. Trying to compare moves you made with the ones you wanted to make would be an endless process. Everyone wants to make better moves than the ones they actually make.

Supposedly, Sarver killed the deal for SGA. My point is, was it another mistake made by the organization in not taking the alternative?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jury's still out on Mikal at this point. Giving up two first rounders (one in a very good draft and another unprotected) is a big haul for a guy who just looks like a role player at this point. yes, that can and hopefully will change, but at this point, he's got to get significantly better to show he's worth two first rounders.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jury's still out on Mikal at this point. Giving up two first rounders (one in a very good draft and another unprotected) is a big haul for a guy who just looks like a role player at this point. yes, that can and hopefully will change, but at this point, he's got to get significantly better to show he's worth two first rounders.
That is fair. This one could go either way.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Supposedly, Sarver killed the deal for SGA. My point is, was it another mistake made by the organization in not taking the alternative?
Who knows if they COULD have. The Suns were trying to move up to get SGA but were not able to do it. Mikal was not available until the Suns second first round pick. There might not have been an alternative.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who knows if they COULD have. The Suns were trying to move up to get SGA but were not able to do it. Mikal was not available until the Suns second first round pick. There might not have been an alternative.

They were not able to do it reportedly because Sarver killed it to take Mikal. I find that believable. Was that another mistake by the organization? Would you rather have SGA?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd like to know the truth about this someday. If McDonough had been able to trade for Shai it could have well changed his legacy.

Ayton and Shai would have been one heck of a draft.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing about the idea of Shai over Mikal is this season would be playing out different than it has. If we get Zion or the #1 pick then I think that has to do with drafting Mikal over Shai. With a PG like Shai I doubt we're sitting at the bottom of the league for 2/3 of the season. I'm not saying we'd be a playoff team or anything crazy like that but having a true PG with legit lottery pick talent manning this ship would have gotten us a better record than what we have today.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd like to know the truth about this someday. If McDonough had been able to trade for Shai it could have well changed his legacy.

Ayton and Shai would have been one heck of a draft.
Sorry, and maybe I'm in the minority, but Mikal and Ayton is one heck of a draft also. Will Shai be better than Mikal in their careers? And if so, how much better?

The wild card in all this was the Miami pick, but that almost certainly was also going to be used a trade to get Shai as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, and maybe I'm in the minority, but Mikal and Ayton is one heck of a draft also. Will Shai be better than Mikal in their careers? And if so, how much better?

The wild card in all this was the Miami pick, but that almost certainly was also going to be used a trade to get Shai as well.

I wouldn't dispute Ayton and Bridges is a good draft.

However, since the Suns needed a point guard and I believe BPA applied equally to Shai, I would have preferred the Suns drafting Ayton and trading for Shai... if that were possible.

What we don't know if the Suns could have found a trade partner to draft him since Bridges had already been selected by the 76ers at #10.

I'm not fully convinced the 76ers would not have accepted #16 and the unprotected Miami pick before selecting at #10 though. Maybe the deal could have been sweetened if need be.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wouldn't dispute Ayton and Bridges is a good draft.

However, since the Suns needed a point guard and I believe BPA applied equally to Shai, I would have preferred the Suns drafting Ayton and trading for Shai... if that were possible.

What we don't know if the Suns could have found a trade partner to draft him since Bridges had already been selected by the 76ers at #10.

I'm not fully convinced the 76ers would not have accepted #16 and the unprotected Miami pick before selecting at #10 though. Maybe the deal could have been sweetened if need be.
But is Shai the type of point guard moving forward we needed? All this talk about not wanting Morant because he's too young and we need experience... Shai doesn't fit that mold either.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But is Shai the type of point guard moving forward we needed? All this talk about not wanting Morant because he's too young and we need experience... Shai doesn't fit that mold either.

The difference is Shai is proving to be a productive NBA contributor right now.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Not sure why people act like a rookie can't come in and lead a team especially at the point guard position, it happens every year, I actually think morant isn't going to have a problem being a teams playmaker from the start, the only thing he might struggle with is his scoring against more physical players but that will come as he puts on weight , no one comes out and is Steph curry game one but acting like a rookie can't make an impact is pretty ridiculous

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would be thrilled to have a 6' 6" point guard playing next to Booker. If the Suns could have drafted Shai, he would have a season under his belt going into next season.

The idea he might be more of a combo guard shouldn't hurt him playing next to Booker because Booker can distribute as well.

Shai's first year stats are good and he should only get better.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gilgesh01.html

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
SGA thing is speculation. He was already drafted by the time Suns made their trade. Saying that he was available is nothing but speculation. Even so, I will take Mikal over SGA any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Suns are overloaded at SF, but that will clear out. Mikal's gonna be a big-time player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not particularly. He is still far more prospect than anything. He's averaging 10 points with 3 turnovers to 1.8 assists. That's not exactly "productive" IMO, it's more like Mikal Bridges territory. In both cases, they are productive players if you view them as rookies but they are uninspiring when you compare them to average veterans.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That’s a straw man argument. It’s much more relevant at this time NEXT year when Morant has 4 1/2 months of playing time under his belt in the NBA.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That’s a straw man argument. It’s much more relevant at this time NEXT year when Morant has 4 1/2 months of playing time under his belt in the NBA.

You were questioning whether we would want a player like Shai because he is young and inexperienced. The reason we want experienced, veteran players is they are more likely to be productive, winning basketball players. But if the young player in question is a productive player that contributes to wins, that really doesn't matter. Shai is that right now. Morant is beside the point.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not particularly. He is still far more prospect than anything. He's averaging 10 points with 3 turnovers to 1.8 assists. That's not exactly "productive" IMO, it's more like Mikal Bridges territory. In both cases, they are productive players if you view them as rookies but they are uninspiring when you compare them to average veterans.

I would make the claim that both are productive, contributing NBA players right now. Both play significant roles on their team, Shai on a very good team. SGA plays at a position of greater need for us than Mikal, so I believe we would be better off with him, although I do love Mikal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sorry, but no Steve. First facts: He's a key bench member of a playoff team, averaging 2 more points, more assists (not averaging 1.8 assists on 3 turnovers), shooting 46% from 2, same from 3 as Mikal and runs an entire unit for again.. a playoff team... and does all this in less minutes, playing much more efficient. And if you watched him on a regular basis, you'd realize he's even better than his numbers.

Bridges is a good defender who's beyond streaky and is getting a lot of burn on the worst team in the league.

Trying to put them in the same league is just homerism at this point.

It's okay to just say right now Shai is a better player and that you hope Mikal passes him at some point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry, but no Steve. First facts: He's a key bench member of a playoff team, averaging 2 more points, more assists (not averaging 1.8 assists on 3 turnovers), shooting 46% from 2, same from 3 as Mikal and runs an entire unit for again.. a playoff team... and does all this in less minutes, playing much more efficient. And if you watched him on a regular basis, you'd realize he's even better than his numbers.

Bridges is a good defender who's beyond streaky and is getting a lot of burn on the worst team in the league.

Trying to put them in the same league is just homerism at this point.

It's okay to just say right now Shai is a better player and that you hope Mikal passes him at some point.

Well, you're right, I don't watch him on a regular basis. I made my comments based on maybe 4 Shai games and their respective stats. And while it might be true that Shai is even better than his stats indicate, I'd say the same is true of Mikal. Regardless, it doesn't matter to me if Shai is better than Mikal or not so I'll disagree on the "homerism" charge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson