They tried to trade Ayton!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be a boneheaded move by the front office. Which makes me think there is some truth to it because... par for the course.
There is nothing or no one that they could trade Ayton for (that would make any diff) that wouldn't involve Cam or Mikal.

Ayton for Giannis is a straight up pipe dream. Not in a billion years.
Ayton for KAT could be more likely to happen but then we take a HUGE hit on the defensive end. And the Wolves would want Cam or Mikal or some ungodly amount of picks.
No one is trading the 20 and 10 center we need for a timid, afraid of the rim unproven Ayton.

The only option is to fix him. He's 22 and didn't grow up with a basketball shoved up his butt like everyone else in the NBA.

Develop him get him a quality big man coach because CP3 cant teach that Baynes couldn't and Frank welp.

I refuse to give up on him.

Agreed, trading him last year after a PED suspension is the ultimate selling low.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am fine if we don't pay max based on how he has played so far. If he can become a solid 25-12 guy 2-3 shot blocks a game as long as he's a better defender, then I can see him getting more towards or max contract. He obviously is not a max guy now. His agent needs to drive that home. I know based on how our coach has told how he counseled past players, that he must have told Ayton he can't get a max deal the way he is playing. On the other side, they need to make an effort to get him the ball more. There are some games where he doesn't get a touch in a scoring area for him for seemingly whole periods.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see this as a big deal. Ayton has given the organization reasons to explore trade possibilities, they'd be failing in their jobs if they didn't. But the other teams see what we see, a lot of potential and a lot of questions so it's unlikely anyone is going to give us much more than what his current performance warrants. Like others have suggested, I think we heard the rumors about Towns being unhappy and they inquired to see if a swap was feasible. Clearly, on one side or the other, it wasn't doable.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am fine if we don't pay max based on how he has played so far. If he can become a solid 25-12 guy 2-3 shot blocks a game as long as he's a better defender, then I can see him getting more towards or max contract. He obviously is not a max guy now. His agent needs to drive that home. I know based on how our coach has told how he counseled past players, that he must have told Ayton he can't get a max deal the way he is playing. On the other side, they need to make an effort to get him the ball more. There are some games where he doesn't get a touch in a scoring area for him for seemingly whole periods.

This is what people mix up with Ayton. Because he is the number 1 pick expectations are super high and a lot of times unrealistic

a center who gets you 25/12/3 is not “solid” that’s a star. That’s pretty much David Robinson. We you know if he can be a solid 25/12 guy...what? No.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
One thing is for sure. The second we trade him he will become a perineal all star, league MVP. And drop 50 on us whenever we play against him. Such is the life of a Suns fan.

I'm confident that won't happen. He doesn't have it.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
My belief is that the problem with Ayton is not really one of motivation or attitude. Obviously, it's not a matter of physical ability, either.

Instead, I think it really comes down to him being an airhead or space cadet, or whatever you want to call it. Not that he is lacking intelligence, but more that he is just "spacy." I'm not sure if that could potentially be related to some of his "recreational" activities, so to speak, but he seems to lack focus when he is playing.

I don't know if that's something that can be taught or drilled into him by coaching - and that may or may not be the missing part of the equation. Or it could be that it is just beyond hope to get him there and he is what he is.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
One thing is for sure. The second we trade him he will become a perineal all star, league MVP. And drop 50 on us whenever we play against him. Such is the life of a Suns fan.

If he becomes a "perineal" all star, that would be a bit awkward. Not sure if that's a good credit to one's name, at least as a basketball player.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This would be a boneheaded move by the front office. Which makes me think there is some truth to it because... par for the course.
There is nothing or no one that they could trade Ayton for (that would make any diff) that wouldn't involve Cam or Mikal.

Ayton for Giannis is a straight up pipe dream. Not in a billion years.
Ayton for KAT could be more likely to happen but then we take a HUGE hit on the defensive end. And the Wolves would want Cam or Mikal or some ungodly amount of picks.
No one is trading the 20 and 10 center we need for a timid, afraid of the rim unproven Ayton.

The only option is to fix him. He's 22 and didn't grow up with a basketball shoved up his butt like everyone else in the NBA.

Develop him get him a quality big man coach because CP3 cant teach that Baynes couldn't and Frank welp.

I refuse to give up on him.
Uh Huh 26/17/3 with 5 blocks
Give the kid some time. What were YOU doing at 22 yrs old?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Not even on his best game of the season? This is what people have been crying about for weeks.

Let's see him do it consistently. There's no way anyone could say he's done his job well this season. You can't even say he's done his job well all month. He's been doing it well for 2 games in a row. Let's hope that continues.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is a journeyman player at best. He doesn't want to be anything more than that. Hes already made life changing money. He will be fine hanging around the NBA for another 6-7 years collecting way more than he worth because hes a big athletic dude.

He will never be an all-star, and he will never be an NBA champion

rolling eyes

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's see him do it consistently. There's no way anyone could say he's done his job well this season. You can't even say he's done his job well all month. He's been doing it well for 2 games in a row. Let's hope that continues.

that’s not true his defense has been excellent for the most part this year.

His offense hasn’t been great but neither has bookers.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cant say it about Booker or CP3 either. Other than maybe Cam Payne there's not a damn person on this team that has lived up to expectations. Ill support DAs game tonight he was a beast. I'm hoping he's turned that corner, As a fan ive got nothing else. Ill bash the team or player that is sucking it up but ill praise a good performance as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread and conversation isn't about Booker or Paul, its about Ayton. Bringing them up doesn't help paint Ayton as a better player.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose