They tried to trade Ayton!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
https://arizonasports.com/story/2512968/dave-pasch-suns-clearly-feel-time-is-now-deandre-ayton/

“They looked at trading him last summer, it didn’t work out,” Pasch told Arizona Sports’ Doug & Wolf on Wednesday. “I think they’re still trying to figure out if this guy is going to get it. I hope he does, but at what point do you say it’s not going to happen? I don’t know. I’m not saying we’re there, I’m asking the question. When do we say that? - Dave Pasch

Also:

Pasch, however, believes the team is deep in the process of making that determination. He doubled down, saying he heard the Suns considered trading their 2018 first overall draft pick.

“Again, from what I understand, they looked to move him this past summer. Clearly they feel the time is now for Deandre Ayton,” Pasch said. “Does he know that? Does he recognize that? Does he understand the gravity of the situation that if he doesn’t figure it out, he’s going to be playing somewhere else?

I thought this deserved it's own thread since this is first number one overall pick in Suns history! That type of player would almost be unthinkable to trade for any franchise.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I heard that when he said it live and thought "Well this is going to blow up for a casual comment"

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not sure if they couldn't get compensation they wanted, or if there wasn't a market for him! You have to wonder why a trade was not consummated. Plus it's not like the Suns are deep at big men, AND they still considered trading him!!!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure the uppers of the suns FO see the stuff we see. I think we, here on this board, are more in tune than the average fan. If we see the issues, then i'm certain they do as well, they get paid to do this. I'm sure there are issues with Ayton, personality and production of course, that might raise a red flag or two.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wouldn't put too much faith in Dave Pasch. What does he mean when he says the Suns tried to trade him? Even if true, there are varying degrees of that truth.

And that's if you don't consider he's an ESPN stooge.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the way Ayton spiked the pre-bubble season with a 25 game suspension only to come back during the bubble with an underwhelming performance punctuated by his carelessness almost costing him the final must win game, it doesn’t REALLY surprise me.

that guy is going to want a MAX deal and looks like the Suns were using a little foresight to try and figure out if they should sell high before another disappointing but stat stuffing season that would put their backs against a wall come contract extension time.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton is a journeyman player at best. He doesn't want to be anything more than that. Hes already made life changing money. He will be fine hanging around the NBA for another 6-7 years collecting way more than he worth because hes a big athletic dude.

He will never be an all-star, and he will never be an NBA champion

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
After the way Ayton spiked the pre-bubble season with a 25 game suspension only to come back during the bubble with an underwhelming performance punctuated by his carelessness almost costing him the final must win game, it doesn’t REALLY surprise me.

that guy is going to want a MAX deal and looks like the Suns were using a little foresight to try and figure out if they should sell high before another disappointing but stat stuffing season that would put their backs against a wall come contract extension time.
Been saying this for a bit now. He is getting the max. Unless you want to be the dope making that deal, you have to trade him just after his value rises.

Still waiting for that value to rise though........

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
why would DA get the max? i'd rather trade him for a 2nd round pick than pay him the max

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Give him the Drummond treatment. "Thanks for your services but no contract extension for you."

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if they couldn't get compensation they wanted, or if there wasn't a market for him! You have to wonder why a trade was not consummated. Plus it's not like the Suns are deep at big men, AND they still considered trading him!!!

Chances are they were looking at win now moves that sent Ayton out for a more established big, like Capela, Vucevic, or Jonas Valencunis.

Of course timing would be interesting to know. Did they try to move him before or after the Paul trade. Before they could have combined salaries with Rubio or Oubre but after and there really isn't anyone to trade with him. Sending him out as a centerpiece of a deal for a star though isn't surprising.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chances are they were looking at win now moves that sent Ayton out for a more established big, like Capela, Vucevic, or Jonas Valencunis.

Of course timing would be interesting to know. Did they try to move him before or after the Paul trade. Before they could have combined salaries with Rubio or Oubre but after and there really isn't anyone to trade with him. Sending him out as a centerpiece of a deal for a star though isn't surprising.

I wonder if they made an overtures to Milwaukee for Giannis with Ayton as centerpiece with picks.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put too much faith in Dave Pasch. What does he mean when he says the Suns tried to trade him? Even if true, there are varying degrees of that truth.

And that's if you don't consider he's an ESPN stooge.

It was this random statement in the middle of a larger conversation. It wasn't like he was putting out breaking news...more just he knew it happened and blurted it out. Wolfley quickly glossed over it.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if they made an overtures to Milwaukee for Giannis with Ayton as centerpiece with picks.
Ugh wish that would happen... giannis is dope just has to win more in big poff gm

And he is wayyyyy more consistent than ayton will ever be probably:(

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Giannis, yes he's a bad outside shooter most times, but he determined to get to the rim. Would have been amazing if we had Giannis over Ayton.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Depending on how legit the rumors were, he would have been dealt to MIN for Towns to partner with Booker which would have enticed Russell to sign with PHX a couple of years ago. MIN ain't any better with Towns & Russell so not sure how good PHX would have been with that Big 3.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on how legit the rumors were, he would have been dealt to MIN for Towns to partner with Booker which would have enticed Russell to sign with PHX a couple of years ago. MIN ain't any better with Towns & Russell so not sure how good PHX would have been with that Big 3.

If the Suns tried to trade Ayton for Towns it would have made a lot of sense because Booker and Towns are very close. The Wolves likely wanted too much if true.

I'm skeptical if Russell was part of the equation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
It was this random statement in the middle of a larger conversation. It wasn't like he was putting out breaking news...more just he knew it happened and blurted it out. Wolfley quickly glossed over it.

Lol you don't just blurt something like that out

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This would be a boneheaded move by the front office. Which makes me think there is some truth to it because... par for the course.
There is nothing or no one that they could trade Ayton for (that would make any diff) that wouldn't involve Cam or Mikal.

Ayton for Giannis is a straight up pipe dream. Not in a billion years.
Ayton for KAT could be more likely to happen but then we take a HUGE hit on the defensive end. And the Wolves would want Cam or Mikal or some ungodly amount of picks.
No one is trading the 20 and 10 center we need for a timid, afraid of the rim unproven Ayton.

The only option is to fix him. He's 22 and didn't grow up with a basketball shoved up his butt like everyone else in the NBA.

Develop him get him a quality big man coach because CP3 cant teach that Baynes couldn't and Frank welp.

I refuse to give up on him.

Last edited:

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this part of the article was mentioned. See comments by John Gambadoro below.

If Ayton was up for trade I think it was for a specific player.

By Arizona Sports:

Arizona Sports’ John Gambadoro said Wednesday that five NBA teams he contacted said they had not heard of the Suns shopping their starting center.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2512968/dave-pasch-suns-clearly-feel-time-is-now-deandre-ayton/

Sarver doing the best backpeddaling he can using Gambo.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you just listened to the James Jones interview, he all but confirmed they were talking about trading him, just by the way he avoided answering the question.

But, I do believe Gambo also when he said he talked to 5 teams and none of them heard about us shopping him.

To me this means they were talking about trading him in a specific deal. My guess was we did offer a package for Giannis, but that obviously went nowhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose