The Worth of Kyler Murray

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If his contract permitted him to be traded, IMO, Murray would only fetch a mid-level second round pick. So if the Cards want to move him for real value in 2 years what has to happen between now and then?

Murray must be more composed. Too often he’s made erratic throws, shown happy feet or simply fallen to the ground with little contact. I accept he’s a QB who’s not strong enough to take hits to complete passes. Nonetheless he must exhibit more poise under pressure. Quicker reads, moving up in the pocket and varying his escape routes will all be crucial to increasing his value.

Certainly better line play and a real pocket will be necessary for Murray to move forward. Once a pocket is established Murray must develop better understanding of how to use it. For starters he must learn how to shift in the pocket without abandoning it. Wilson and Brees both exhibited this strategy. By doing so a QB can open throwing lanes and avoid having balls batted down so often. Moving forward in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield can increase his completions. It also provides for escaping through holes in the rush patterns. This keeps defenders honest. Even a fake in this direction can freeze rushers.

Murray needs to improve his ball placement. This increases YAC as runners can catch more balls in stride, allows for more completions and fewer interceptions. In a closely related skill he needs to throw more receivers open. His receivers have become to used to stopping to make themselves easier targets. He must lead them into open areas especially against zone defenses. A QB can often see the holes in a zone better than a receiver can.

Murray must get comfortable under center. He needs to master RPO plays and learn to effectively fake handoffs. This also will mean building a little more strength as well. He needs to not go down when barely touched. He needs to fight harder against first contact.

He needs to refocus on getting his feet set before he throws and avoid throwing off his back foot, especially on deep throws. This fault causes the ball to float , allowing for more interceptions. He allows needs to followthrough on his passes. It’s accurate to say unblocked rushers have distracted Murray too often. Better O-line play and poise on Murray’s part must increase.

Better line play should also allow for increased use of progressions. Again composure is the key to recognizing when time is available and using it. With Hopkins staying, at least for awhile, most plays will have an open receiver, if Murray can remain patient and find him.

I sympathize with those who say Murray’s never had a real chance because the Cards’ philosophy seemed to be, it’s Murray’s responsibility to elude the rush. They never really focused on a competent line. I’m not convinced that Murray is in the long range plans of the current administration. Even if he’s not, maximizing what is recouped for him can significantly alter the Cards’ future.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry I love your takes. But there is no way in hell Kyler Murray would only fetch a mid 2nd round. QB value is too high and he has shown flashes of brilliance at times.

I don’t have a lot of faith in him based off what I’ve seen on the filed in the last season and a half. But a mid 2nd is laughable.

Not that any of it matters he’s not going anywhere.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's are many areas for KM to improve and I agree with Harry on these

I'll add another one. He runs backwards and spins to the outside. DC's all know this and teams have figured out how to defend it

So many bad habits he needs to break and things for him to learn

He has a long road in front of him to be a top QB in this league

The Oline is a concern and many of us have been pounding the keyboards stressing this

I don't believe the FO had done enough to address this

Some QB hungry team that thinks they can coach him up will offer more than he's worth

Last edited:

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I don't see KM as having any trade value. If he plays so poorly, that the Cardinals want to more on, no team is going to going to want to pay him $35M a year and give up draft capital to do so. The same thing happened with DHop and he is a very good receiver. No team wanted to pay him $19M and give up draft capital.

KM has $35M in guaranteed salary in 2024, so he may be on the team even if we draft a QB in 2024. We would gain about $4M in cap space if we release after June 1st.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His worth right now is very little because he's coming off a bad year and a torn ACL recovery to work through.

What his worth may be in the future, who knows? But I agree that it's probably going to look like the Wentz trade with a lower pick up front that escalates based on performance.

100% you ain't looking at anything like that Russ Wilson trade.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Murray is on the same path as Baker Mayfield. Only the browns were smart enough to pull the plug earlier and not give him a big extension.

Still, he was traded for peanuts.

Coming off an injury and that contract, I’d say a 2nd round pick would be a nice haul in return.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Maybe a mid 2nd AND 2 1sts. Y'all are blinded in hatred or something if you don't realize the QB trade market. Stafford, Wilson and Rodgers were all traded for multiple 1st round picks, and they were all significantly older than KM is now. Also, this isn't the 80's...an ACL injury means you're coming back at 98% strength. If KM comes back and plays just average he will command a haul of picks.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Maybe a mid 2nd AND 2 1sts. Y'all are blinded in hatred or something if you don't realize the QB trade market. Stafford, Wilson and Rodgers were all traded for multiple 1st round picks, and they were all significantly older than KM is now. Also, this isn't the 80's...an ACL injury means you're coming back at 98% strength. If KM comes back and plays just average he will command a haul of picks.
I certainly have no hatred of Murray. The problem is many fans always rate their players higher than the league. Murray is rated 20th by CBS out of 32. The NFL has him 16th. PFN also has him at 16. What has he won in 4 years? He’s made one playoff game and played terribly in that game. He is not durable, having an injury every year. His last 2 years show him playing progressively fewer games. I think the Wentz comparisons are closer to the mark. Remember he won 11 games in 2017. Murray’s top is 9. Maybe somebody falls in love with him, but I’m going by what I think he’d fetch today. He’s coming off a serious injury and is not really thought of as tough. He’s been a great athlete, but most don’t think of him as a great QB. Potential means you haven‘t done it yet. Forget Rodgers and Wilson, they were proven winners. You have a more valid issue with Stafford. That was clearly an overpay. His record was erratic. He’d won 9, 10, & 11 games, but also had several losing seasons. Like I said if they can find a guy who loves him, maybe they get more. I don’t see and it‘s no certainty. If he can have a big year or 2 things could change dramatically.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Murray needs to get healthy and play well, that is the bottom line on his value. I think having a new GM and HC is a plus for him as they do seem to want to build the team around him and are treating him as a franchise qb.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Thank you Harry for putting this in perspective. I agree with you 100% on Kyler’s value

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If i had to set a value on him right now...

A first and a second.

Once he shows he is fully healed and he can run an nfl offense that value jumps way up.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
If he follows Harry's prescription, it begs the question: Why in the world would the CARDS trade him?
I’m not saying they do, but they may want a different style of QB or a more durable one. I think Murray is the most fascinating puzzle in the league. Can a great, undersized athlete become a premier NFL QB?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not saying they do, but they may want a different style of QB or a more durable one. I think Murray is the most fascinating puzzle in the league. Can a great, undersized athlete become a premier NFL QB?
Is not about being undersized athlete but toughness and mentality
Other undersized qb's proven already they can be successful
Breees and Wilson

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Well, durability can't be guaranteed, and K9 wouldn't be looking way up in a face-to-face conversation with Drew Brees.

How tall is the 2023 #1 pick in the draft?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If his contract permitted him to be traded, IMO, Murray would only fetch a mid-level second round pick. So if the Cards want to move him for real value in 2 years what has to happen between now and then?

Murray must be more composed. Too often he’s made erratic throws, shown happy feet or simply fallen to the ground with little contact. I accept he’s a QB who’s not strong enough to take hits to complete passes. Nonetheless he must exhibit more poise under pressure. Quicker reads, moving up in the pocket and varying his escape routes will all be crucial to increasing his value.

Certainly better line play and a real pocket will be necessary for Murray to move forward. Once a pocket is established Murray must develop better understanding of how to use it. For starters he must learn how to shift in the pocket without abandoning it. Wilson and Brees both exhibited this strategy. By doing so a QB can open throwing lanes and avoid having balls batted down so often. Moving forward in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield can increase his completions. It also provides for escaping through holes in the rush patterns. This keeps defenders honest. Even a fake in this direction can freeze rushers.

Murray needs to improve his ball placement. This increases YAC as runners can catch more balls in stride, allows for more completions and fewer interceptions. In a closely related skill he needs to throw more receivers open. His receivers have become to used to stopping to make themselves easier targets. He must lead them into open areas especially against zone defenses. A QB can often see the holes in a zone better than a receiver can.

Murray must get comfortable under center. He needs to master RPO plays and learn to effectively fake handoffs. This also will mean building a little more strength as well. He needs to not go down when barely touched. He needs to fight harder against first contact.

He needs to refocus on getting his feet set before he throws and avoid throwing off his back foot, especially on deep throws. This fault causes the ball to float , allowing for more interceptions. He allows needs to followthrough on his passes. It’s accurate to say unblocked rushers have distracted Murray too often. Better O-line play and poise on Murray’s part must increase.

Better line play should also allow for increased use of progressions. Again composure is the key to recognizing when time is available and using it. With Hopkins staying, at least for awhile, most plays will have an open receiver, if Murray can remain patient and find him.

I sympathize with those who say Murray’s never had a real chance because the Cards’ philosophy seemed to be, it’s Murray’s responsibility to elude the rush. They never really focused on a competent line. I’m not convinced that Murray is in the long range plans of the current administration. Even if he’s not, maximizing what is recouped for him can significantly alter the Cards’ future.
So he needs to fix everything.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave