The Wonder Years (Revival series)(ABC)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is one title vulture show that I'm really curious to watch. has a lot of really good talent involved. I'm super curious to watch a show told from the lens of a Black family during the 60's like it was the Arnold's during the same time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
this is one title vulture show that I'm really curious to watch. has a lot of really good talent involved. I'm super curious to watch a show told from the lens of a Black family during the 60's like it was the Arnold's during the same time.
Yup. Should be incredibly different than the Arnold’s story. And that should be a sobering commentary to us Americans. But I’m sure someone will scream that this show is just CRT.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they were going to remake this, they should've done the 90s. People who are nostalgic about the 60s are boomers and they aren't going to watch this. 90s would've attracted people in their 30s and 40s which would be an audience worth pursuing.

Reaction score
Looks awesome. As someone who grew up in that era I can relate. I remember when I brought one of my friends home from school who was black. My step dad told my mom to tell me to never bring a black kid in this house again. He didn't use the term black kid either. I still don't understand the hatred. Never will I guess. Btw, I never got along with my step dad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they were going to remake this, they should've done the 90s. People who are nostalgic about the 60s are boomers and they aren't going to watch this. 90s would've attracted people in their 30s and 40s which would be an audience worth pursuing.

For a period show to be successful, it has to have themes that resonate just as much today as they did back then. It's a way to comment on narratives we see playing out in our lives today... where they started, where they went and how they ended up. Something that holds a mirror to present day and hopefully has themes that continue to resonate as we move forward. And in a time where the country is tearing itself apart over everything, but especially massive racial strife (which I know you don't believe exists for any good reason), the 60's and 70's are MUCH closer to present day than the 90's are.

also, people have repeatedly tried to make shows about the 90's... and they've all failed pretty miserably. there's little to no nostalgia about that time period right now.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved the original series and am really looking forward to this one. When I first heard about it I wasn't too into it - figuring it was just a cash grab. Then I watched the trailer and looked into who was behind it. Fred Savage is an executive producer and he directs the first episode. Can't wait to watch it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved the original series and am really looking forward to this one. When I first heard about it I wasn't too into it - figuring it was just a cash grab. Then I watched the trailer and looked into who was behind it. Fred Savage is an executive producer and he directs the first episode. Can't wait to watch it.

Fred Savage has gone on to have a great career directing TV.

he also had a criminally short-lived comedy with Rob Lowe called The Grinder on FOX that only last one season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For a period show to be successful, it has to have themes that resonate just as much today as they did back then. It's a way to comment on narratives we see playing out in our lives today... where they started, where they went and how they ended up. Something that holds a mirror to present day and hopefully has themes that continue to resonate as we move forward. And in a time where the country is tearing itself apart over everything, but especially massive racial strife (which I know you don't believe exists for any good reason), the 60's and 70's are MUCH closer to present day than the 90's are.

also, people have repeatedly tried to make shows about the 90's... and they've all failed pretty miserably. there's little to no nostalgia about that time period right now.
Yeah if he wants a 90s show, there are plenty of shows from the actual 90s that will satisfy whatever craving he has. Parker Lewis Can't Lose my friend.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pilot was rock-solid, fun, charming characters, a few really good one liners, maybe an over-reliance on VO, but then packs a dramatic wallop at the end with history and story.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda love this show. One of the best things on network TV I’ve seen in a while.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media