The Wheel of Time (Amazon Prime)

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Good write-up, but I think episode 8 really did the series no favors. It went totally off the rails.

I know how difficult it is to do an adaptation and some of the decisions that have to be made. But in this case, episode 8 especially, they've completely sacrificed the story. They killed off characters that not only do not die in the first book, but they are actually CRUCIAL to the final battle for books to come!

You can adapt something without making wholesale changes that have NOTHING to do with say, budget constraints. The showrunner of this show is HIGHLY inexperienced and I am flabbergasted that Amazon put this guy in charge of this series. I will continue to watch, but I don't have much hope for a lot of the storylines, starting and ending with Mat.
The show for sure added/subtracted some things. But I've been viewing this series more like a slight variant in the multiverse rather than a wholesale book adaption (mostly just to preserve my love for the books and still give this show a chance). Once I got there I've enjoyed the show.

One thing about Jordan's books... no one really ever dies. So those characters might not be completely lost.

I'm not sure what is going on with Mat. He wasn't crucial to the end of EotW so I can understand him going after the dagger for a bit, but he's absolutely crucial in the the Great Hunt (albeit sick the entire time from being separated from the dagger). Hopefully the showrunner preserves the connection of Rand, Mat, and Perrin next season as they travel to Falme(?). Also, I hope the writers rescue him from being too depressing. The sooner we get to Sanderson's Mat the better.

Which brings up a question I have for the book readers: Did you enjoy Robert Jordan's version of Mat? I personally wanted desperately to like him but he always came across immature and stupid. It wasn't until Sanderson got a hold of him that I felt the real Mat came to life.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The show for sure added/subtracted some things. But I've been viewing this series more like a slight variant in the multiverse rather than a wholesale book adaption (mostly just to preserve my love for the books and still give this show a chance). Once I got there I've enjoyed the show.

One thing about Jordan's books... no one really ever dies. So those characters might not be completely lost.

I'm not sure what is going on with Mat. He wasn't crucial to the end of EotW so I can understand him going after the dagger for a bit, but he's absolutely crucial in the the Great Hunt (albeit sick the entire time from being separated from the dagger). Hopefully the showrunner preserves the connection of Rand, Mat, and Perrin next season as they travel to Falme(?). Also, I hope the writers rescue him from being too depressing. The sooner we get to Sanderson's Mat the better.

Which brings up a question I have for the book readers: Did you enjoy Robert Jordan's version of Mat? I personally wanted desperately to like him but he always came across immature and stupid. It wasn't until Sanderson got a hold of him that I felt the real Mat came to life.
I liked him once he went on his own. Basically all the stuff with the Seanchan was gold.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The actor who played Mat left the show because he was fired for refusing to get vaccinated. Good riddance.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The actor who played Mat left the show because he was fired for refusing to get vaccinated. Good riddance.
Is that the guy who killed his wife? I still have no idea any of their names. Not a great sign.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, you're thinking of Perrin. It's the guy they inexplicably made into a thief and dirtbag, one of the three guys to leave the Two Rivers.
Ah. Thx. That dude wasn’t a thief and dirt bag in the book? That’s all I think of him in the show.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ah. Thx. That dude wasn’t a thief and dirt bag in the book? That’s all I think of him in the show.
No he wasn’t. He was more of a trickster and didn’t take things seriously. Still came under the spell of the dagger but he wasn’t anything like a dirtbag.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardsunsfan