THE WAY OF THE GUNN - DCU’S NEW ERA

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a long list of boring ass movies I hate and everyone else loves. Joker is right next to You Will Be Bored. (There will be blood). There isn't anything memorable about it at all beyond some dancing on stairs
The Joker could have cut about 40 minutes out of that movie and it would have improved significantly. Although I have to disagree on nothing memorable. Phoenix's performance overall was fantastic. The story was a complete slog though.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys like 70s movies? Joker is one in spirit to me. Similar tone, style, etc. It's probably still my favorite movie decade or at the the one I look back on most fondly. So that made me curious.

I'm really into gladiator movies.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys like 70s movies? Joker is one in spirit to me. Similar tone, style, etc. It's probably still my favorite movie decade or at the the one I look back on most fondly. So that made me curious.

Not really no.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I think of the 70's I think Star Wars, Godfather, One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest, Apocalypse Now, Jaws, Exorcist, Alien, Rocky and Blazing Saddles. I don't get those vibes from the Joker like the 70's unless you mean strictly from a setting perspective.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I think of the 70's I think Star Wars, Godfather, One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest, Apocalypse Now, Jaws, Exorcist, Alien, Rocky and Blazing Saddles. I don't get those vibes from the Joker like the 70's unless you mean strictly from a setting perspective.
you just listed basically the blockbusters of 70's cinema. I assume Devil is referring to the grittier, nastier, more subversive dramas like Taxi Driver, Clockwork Orange, Straw Dogs, etc.

Joker was a pretty clear mashup of Taxi Driver/King Of Comedy (which was early 80's).

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
you just listed basically the blockbusters of 70's cinema. I assume Devil is referring to the grittier, nastier, more subversive dramas like Taxi Driver, Clockwork Orange, Straw Dogs, etc.

Joker was a pretty clear mashup of Taxi Driver/King Of Comedy (which was early 80's).
lol... Dog Day Afternoon

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, was not a complete list but those are the first that come to mind.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Joker was pretty much Taxi Driver.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

:yeahthat: Those were what I was thinking of since Joker is basically Taxi Driver. Even some of the blockbusters like Cuckoos Nest and Apocalypse Now are more similar to Joker than today's blockbusters. To me the 70s were great for those grittier movies being made by some of our best directors. They had the darker tones to them and didn't sugar coat anything. Good movies but they can be tougher to watch and not something you rewatch much. You leave rewatches to the lighter fair.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda don’t believe this and think this is Gunn just playing politics and not wanting to say JJ’s project is dead, but if there’s also gonna be an “Elseworld” Superman, that is going to be hellaciously stupid and more fuel to fire his detractors.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA