The Tax Cut Benefits Thread

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Beaver, Jan 31, 2018.

1. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

I think that's what people are missing - trade wars cause inflation. Given that the economy is already strong, we're at almost full employment, and that DJT is overstimulating the economy, we may see inflation skyrocket.

elindholm and Cardsfanstl like this.
  2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I hope people get that, the markets clearly get that which is why the markets started falling again as soon as Trump did this. They understand the impact this is going to have on prices in general and inflation overall.

The net result is going to be inflation and it's almost inevitable, but the amount of inflation, and how quickly it happens is going to be heavily influenced by Trumps actions.

LVG likes this.
  3. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

And the resulting 2.5 Trillion debt from it

4. Russ Smith

Yep that's the scary part, people like Trump and the Koch brothers will be dead and buried and the damage they have done will still be harming us all

5. Cardsfanstl

Cardsfanstl Registered

And in order to keep inflation in check interest rates will have to be increased. This will result in the markets lowering due to the increasec cost of credit companies will incur not to mention consumer credit card debt.

6. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

ER

7. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/business/harley-davidson-workers-plant-closure-tax-cut/amp/

. 'MERICA!!!!!

8. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Russ Smith and LoyaltyisaCurse like this.
  9. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Instead of increasing my tax withholding, I threw a majority of my pay increase percentage into my 401K, should I still consider increasing my tax withholding?

10. Russ Smith

If you did enough you should be ok because you're reducing your taxable income by doing what you did.

My girlfriend went back to work 3 weeks ago at the same job she had before she left. It took a couple of weeks for everything to kick in, insurance etc, but the difference in checks is about 50 bucks a week. Because she started May 7th we've decided for now to not adjust her witholdings, she won't have a full year of earnings, but next year under this plan she'll have to adjust or she'll end up owing at the end of the year despite only taking the minimum on her W2.

11. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

What is she claiming for her withholdings currently?

12. Russ Smith

I'm blanking but basically the minimum you can claim on the worksheet, just herself. We will probably be ok this year but next year she may have to withold more to not be under witheld. hard to say yet her first paycheck had no insurance removed so until see a full weeks check with everything its' not totally clear.

13. Russ Smith

Here we go again, Trump saying he's still going forward with trade issues with China, a day after we were told that the US and China had a tentative agreement. The stock market tanks, and the WH is spreading rumors it's being caused by Italian issues, not the truth that Trump brought up a trade war again.

14. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

Here's a tax break that's being taken away... Net operating losses now cannot be carried forward and spread over a longer period to offset profits from succeeding years. I've previously used this provision when I've had a particularly bad year...

There's also a graph on the right that shows lumber price movement... not good.

http://nahbnow.com/2018/06/tax-refo...letter&utm_medium=6-0604&utm_campaign=MMB2018

15. DWKB

DWKB Registered

Stock Buybacks Are Booming, but Share Prices Aren’t Budging
    Some analysts worry companies are buying their shares at excessive valuations, while others say cash could have gone toward capital improvements

U.S. companies are buying back record amounts of stock this year, but their shares aren’t getting the boost they bargained for.

S&P 500 companies are on track to repurchase as much as $800 billion in stock this year, a record that would eclipse 2007’s buyback bonanza. Among the biggest buyers are companies like Oracle Corp., Bank of America Corp. and JPMorgan Chase JPM 0.33% & Co.

But 57% of the more than 350 companies in the S&P 500 that bought back shares so far this year are trailing the index’s 3.2% increase…And the historic spending spree on share buybacks has some analysts worried companies are buying their shares at excessive valuations during the peak of the economic cycle and at a time when the market rally is nine years old…The S&P 500 Buyback index, which tracks the share performance of the 100 biggest stock repurchasers, has gained just 1.3% this year, well underperforming the S&P 500.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/stock-buybacks-are-booming-but-share-prices-arent-budging-1531054801