The Supreme Corp. Shows Its Allegiance Again.

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by LoyaltyisaCurse, Jun 1, 2015.

1. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Not to mention to, too and two, or its and it's, or knight and night, or their, there and they're.

Hell.... they're still going with "moran."

2. UncleChris

Maybe St. Peter's question will be, "Are you F-ing kidding me?"

3. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Looks to me like someone is really, really concerned that an attractive gay could come into the store and instantly convert them.

"Your just two hot to ressist!"

elindholm and Kel Varnsen like this.
  4. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Hey did you see that yesterday Merrick Garland authored the majority opinion in a Supreme Court decision overturning Ohio’s voter purge law..... JUST KIDDING, Neil Gorsuch cast the deciding vote instead, and now Republicans have enshrined this vote suppression technique into the very fabric of American law! (A special thank you goes to swing state voters who thought it was so important to cast a protest vote for a third party that they were willing to be accessories to Mitch McConnell’s theft of a SCOTUS seat).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/su...e-court-fight-over-voter-registration-n873226

Supreme Court gives Ohio right to purge thousands of voters from its rolls

WASHINGTON — In a 5-4 ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court gave Ohio a victory Monday in a fight over the state's method for removing people from the voter rolls, a practice that civil rights groups said discourages minority turnout.

At least a dozen other politically conservative states said they would adopt a similar practice if Ohio prevailed, as a way of keeping their voter registration lists accurate and up to date.

Prof. Rick Hasen, an election law expert at the University of California, Irvine, predicted that a win for Ohio would escalate voting wars between the political parties.

"You'll see more red states making it easier to drop people from the voter registration rolls," he said.

5. UncleChris

Yeah, but Hillary's emails!!!! Benghazi!!!!!

6. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

7. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

Roberts comes through for the people (who'd a thunk?)

Decision and Dissents:

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2018/images/06/22/16-402_h315.pdf

Supreme Court: Warrant generally needed to track cell phone location data

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/22/politics/supreme-court-ruling-cell-phone/index.html

Absolute Zero likes this.
  8. LoyaltyisaCurse

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/20...-digital-cell-phone-location-fourth-amendment

9. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

I really hope the question getting into heaven is "Were you kind to all people?"

Then I kind of hope the clarifier is "I don't give a **** if you were asking for forgiveness of your sins on your deathbed. "

Linderbee and UncleChris like this.
  10. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/us/politics/supreme-court-crisis-pregnancy-center-abortion.html

I'll call it now.... Roe will not survive this court. It's just a matter of when it will happen, not if, perhaps even being overturned during the Trump era. Kennedy and RBG will be the next to leave which will result in an even more extreme right wing court handing down consistent and ever expanding hyper right-wing rulings. We are already starting to go backwards in time folks, the doors are locked and we can't get out. But hey, at least we can bet on sports now while we're getting crapped on!

We need a poll. What will be the first to go, Roe or same sex marriage?

Russ Smith likes this.
  11. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

I think you are right on Roe, it is a matter of time. Not only do you have a conservative majority on the Court, you have advances in technology which were not around in 1973. These advances have moved up the viability of the fetus dramatically from what the Court was looking at in 1973 when they came up with three trimester deal in Roe.

As for same sex marriage, that is going to depend upon Kennedy. If he retires before the election, and soon enough to allow Trump to get a new Justice in place before the election, it may be scaled back. Or if the Dems fail to get a majority in the Senate. I am hedging a bit here since the precedents here are fairly recent. If Obergfell (2015) is reversed, that will seem like judicial whiplash that will sting many who have started to enjoy new rights. Perhaps they would start to erode those rights if Kennedy is gone or replaced by another conservative, I don't know.

12. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

For that exact reason, I think Roberts would be a solid vote to uphold Obergfell.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  13. LoyaltyisaCurse

We are headed for the dark age...talk about whiplash.

14. UncleChris

I will probably get a call from the Secret Service, but so be it it. I find myself actually wishing a few certain people would have their clock run out.....

Russ Smith and Rivercard like this.
  15. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

As everyone runs for the cliff, let me observe that the Court makeup hasn’t really changed. Gorsuch replaced Scalia, hardly a liberal. I think Scalia was a lot truer to his ideals and that Gorsuch is closer to Thomas than Scalia. But overall, both are orginalists.

Garland seemed to fit between Roberts and Kennedy on the ideological spectrum. Slightly conservative, but not overly so.

Now if RBG, Breyer, or Kennedy (or 2 or all 3) die or retire while Trump is in office and the GOP controls the Senate, that’s a real problem. The court will lurch hard right and we may see the most conservative court since before the constitutional revolution of the 1930’s. I think that, insofar as Roberts is concerned, he would move to protect the institution of the court. So he’s a balance, but if two go out, then woof. We’re in trouble.

In any case, no one foresees the Warren Court returning anytime soon.