The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But this was cinematic genius!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Lmfao i use to watch that show all the time.

Funny low very low budget mario humor most of those episodes are on youtube now :)

Ill prob catch new mario movie on netflix

I did like chris in dand dragons though lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zelda isn't as big as Mario but I think you might be underestimating the reach too. The franchise has been around almost as long. Ocarina of Time is routinely listed as one of the top games ever. Breath of the Wild (the last game) has sold close to 30m copies and the sequel to it comes out next month. It's going to be huge too. Most of the engineering staff at work has already said that they feel a cold coming on. ;)

The other thing that Zelda has going for it over Mario when it comes to making a movie is that it has a story line that could be translated to the big screen. I could see it opening slower but then having a little more legs due to that.
Considering Mario has the best legs for any animated movie ever, it will be near impossible for Zelda to do better there.

I also think that Mario is basically Nintendo’s Batman and all the other big titles are kinda like The Justice League. So Superman will still be huge, but his movies don’t do Batman numbers. That’s kinda the level I see Zelda as and why it could be really big, but it just doesn’t have the cultural footprint Mario does. It won’t be first out of the box for Nintendo which also is prob a reason Mario is doing such ridiculous numbers.

I’d put a ceiling of 400 million domestic up for Zelda. It just can’t be overlooked how much of an anomaly Mario is at the box office.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Considering Mario has the best legs for any animated movie ever, it will be near impossible for Zelda to do better there.

I also think that Mario is basically Nintendo’s Batman and all the other big titles are kinda like The Justice League. So Superman will still be huge, but his movies don’t do Batman numbers. That’s kinda the level I see Zelda as and why it could be really big, but it just doesn’t have the cultural footprint Mario does. It won’t be first out of the box for Nintendo which also is prob a reason Mario is doing such ridiculous numbers.

I’d put a ceiling of 400 million domestic up for Zelda. It just can’t be overlooked how much of an anomaly Mario is at the box office.

I think that's a fair comparison. That's along the lines of what I was thinking too. That it could do really well but not beating Mario. The point I was going for was that it has more reach than what Ouchie has seen.

My expectation would be that it would do really well but not reach Mario levels unless the movie really kicks butt. My legs comment was based on them making a movie with a good story, Zelda has more potential than Mario for that, and it pulling in non-gamers/Zelda fans after opening weekend.

No matter how much money it makes I'd just love to see a good Zelda movie. It's my favorite game franchise of all time. I wouldn't have owned every Nintendo Console if it wasn't for it. It was the sole reason I bought 3 of them.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think that's a fair comparison. That's along the lines of what I was thinking too. That it could do really well but not beating Mario. The point I was going for was that it has more reach than what Ouchie has seen.

My expectation would be that it would do really well but not reach Mario levels unless the movie really kicks butt. My legs comment was based on them making a movie with a good story, Zelda has more potential than Mario for that, and it pulling in non-gamers/Zelda fans after opening weekend.

No matter how much money it makes I'd just love to see a good Zelda movie. It's my favorite game franchise of all time. I wouldn't have owned every Nintendo Console if it wasn't for it. It was the sole reason I bought 3 of them.
Me too.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Unbelievable! I was at the movies last night and chatted with a father and his very young son, who had just seen it. The father loved it, and the sun gushed. "And they even had Donkey Kong in it, and he punched Mario! And there was Mario Kart too!" and on and on. Good stuff.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet and I'll probably just pick it up once it's on Prime Video, but I hear Charlie Day kills it as Luigi and people are clamoring for a Luigi's Mansion movie.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It’s about to get drowned by The Little Mermaid.
We'll see. I'm not sold on that happening yet. I can see Little Mermaid under performing. My gut has been telling me that it's going to have a good opening weekend and then take a dive.

And yes, I had to work in that bad pun in a rewrite. ;)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see. I'm not sold on that happening yet. I can see Little Mermaid under performing. My gut has been telling me that it's going to have a good opening weekend and then take a dive.

And yes, I had to work in that bad pun in a rewrite. ;)

Little Mermaid will be one of the 3 largest movies of the summer.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s about to get drowned by The Little Mermaid.

May 26th Little Mermaid

June 16th Elemental

June 30th Kraken

August 4th Ninja Turtles

August 16th Monkey King

There just isn't a ton of family stuff out this summer. It's really odd. They might all do well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose