The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
seems like kids, adults… pretty much everyone and their freaking mother, are into it seeing as it just set the record for the biggest 5 day opener of all time… which is insane.

Initial estimates were a 125 million 5 day. Now it’s at 205 million for 5 days. That’s a crazy 80 million over expectations. That’s unheard of for any movie except maybe when The Force Awakens completely blew past expectations by like 60 million.
Plus another $173m international. It's crazy to think that it's already closing in on what Ant-Man Quantumania grossed

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was the best Easter egg hunt on Easter I've ever been to!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hoooooly crap this movie is making a frackton of movie... estimates are at a 195 million dollar start for the 5 day, blowing away the expected 141/5.

I expected this to be big... really big, but not stupendously massive like this.
We were in a sold out theater for it last night. Applause at the end. Applause that turned into the entire theater clapping along with the theme song during the credits (never experienced that before)!

Overall it was solid and entertaining. Much better than I expected.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thing is a freaking juggernaut. Best 2nd weekend for animated films of all time, down only 41% from opening coming in at 87 million.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another massive domestic weekend at 58 million. Biggest 3rd animated movie weekend ever. Just down 35% from last week and now a running total of over 430 million domestic already.

This thing is just a freaking juggernaut.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another massive domestic weekend at 58 million. Biggest 3rd animated movie weekend ever. Just down 35% from last week and now a running total of over 430 million domestic already.

This thing is just a freaking juggernaut.

Holy wow!!

"Mario also ranks as the #28 biggest film of all time.

Among animated films specifically, it ranks #6 all time domestically, behind only:

2018’s Incredibles 2 ($608.5M) 2019’s The Lion King ($543.6M) 2016’s Finding Dory ($486.2M) 2019’s Frozen II ($477.3M)
2004’s Shrek 2 ($441.2M)

Overseas / global total

This weekend overseas, Mario declined -38% to $70.7M, in line with its -37% domestic drop.

Mario has earned $437.5M overseas and $871.8M globally. That makes it by far the top global release of 2023 so far, far ahead of Quantumania ($474.1M).

Mario currently ranks as the #79 film of all time globally.

It’s also the #19 animated title of all time globally, behind:

2019’s The Lion King ($1.66B)
2019’s FrozenII ($1.45B)
2013’s Frozen ($1.28B)
2018’s Incredibles 2 ($1.24B) 2015’s Minions ($1.15B)
2019’s Toy Story 4 ($1.07B)
2010’s Toy Story 3 ($1.06B) 2017’s Despicable Me 3 ($1.03B) 2016’s Finding Dory ($1.02B) 2016’s Zootopia ($1.02B) 2013’s Despicable Me 2 ($970.7M) 1994’s The Lion King ($968.5M) 2003’s Finding Nemo ($941.6M) 2022’s Minions: The Rise of Gru ($939.6M) 2004’s Shrek 2 ($928.7M) 2016’s The Secret Life of Pets ($894.3M) 2009’s Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs ($886.6M)
2012’s Ice Age: Continental Drift ($877.2M)"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy wow!!

"Mario also ranks as the #28 biggest film of all time.

Among animated films specifically, it ranks #6 all time domestically, behind only:

2018’s Incredibles 2 ($608.5M) 2019’s The Lion King ($543.6M) 2016’s Finding Dory ($486.2M) 2019’s Frozen II ($477.3M)
2004’s Shrek 2 ($441.2M)

Overseas / global total

This weekend overseas, Mario declined -38% to $70.7M, in line with its -37% domestic drop.

Mario has earned $437.5M overseas and $871.8M globally. That makes it by far the top global release of 2023 so far, far ahead of Quantumania ($474.1M).

Mario currently ranks as the #79 film of all time globally.

It’s also the #19 animated title of all time globally, behind:

2019’s The Lion King ($1.66B)
2019’s FrozenII ($1.45B)
2013’s Frozen ($1.28B)
2018’s Incredibles 2 ($1.24B) 2015’s Minions ($1.15B)
2019’s Toy Story 4 ($1.07B)
2010’s Toy Story 3 ($1.06B) 2017’s Despicable Me 3 ($1.03B) 2016’s Finding Dory ($1.02B) 2016’s Zootopia ($1.02B) 2013’s Despicable Me 2 ($970.7M) 1994’s The Lion King ($968.5M) 2003’s Finding Nemo ($941.6M) 2022’s Minions: The Rise of Gru ($939.6M) 2004’s Shrek 2 ($928.7M) 2016’s The Secret Life of Pets ($894.3M) 2009’s Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs ($886.6M)
2012’s Ice Age: Continental Drift ($877.2M)"

This sucker probably reaches 650 million when all’s said and done domestic and probably 1.5 billion worldwide.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Leguizamo is still bitter he wasn't cast in this movie. He can't stop taking shots at it regardless of how successful it continues to be. SMH.

John Leguizamo says he'd 'consider' a role in a 'Super Mario Bros. Movie' sequel if they 'do the right thing' and make it more inclusive

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to think the same guys doing something with Zelda will be close.
I’d be shocked. These kind of numbers are just so astronomical that it’ll be tough for any animated movie to reach. And I think Mario has had a bigger perpetual stamp on gaming and pop culture in general.

That’s not to say Zelda wouldn’t be big. I’m just dubious it would be close to this box office behemoth.

I wonder if they eventually try to set up an Avengers type thing with all the Ninetendo characters… like a big crossover event.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like to think the same guys doing something with Zelda will be close.
The reason I can’t see it with Zelda is it doesn’t have massive multi-generational appeal that Mario bros does. I mean Mario began with my generation and my boys grew up playing Mario cart. There were people of all ages in the theatre and ever single one of them would’ve had direct personal experience with Mario bros.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The reason I can’t see it with Zelda is it doesn’t have massive multi-generational appeal that Mario bros does. I mean Mario began with my generation and my boys grew up playing Mario cart. There were people of all ages in the theatre and ever single one of them would’ve had direct personal experience with Mario bros.
Sorry but I fail to see how any of that can’t apply to Zelda. Hell, the best game on Super Nintendo is arguably Link to the Past.

Sure there’s no Mario Kart for Zelda, but still.

Please note, I’m not saying that Mario is t as good as Link, I’m talking about mass appeal.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I fail to see how any of that can’t apply to Zelda. Hell, the best game on Super Nintendo is arguably Link to the Past.

Please note, I’m not saying that Mario is t as good as Link, I’m talking about mass appeal.
Agreed! My kids' email address has "Link" in it, and they are 14.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever made.

Only Nintendo IP movie I would be truly excited about. Some others would be good too.

Here's hoping.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Let me put it to you this way: I am not a gamer. My sig other isn’t a gamer. Neither of us were even slightly gamers as kids. We know all about Mario bros. We recognize the characters, etc. I have played Zelda before. I have no idea what Link to the Past is, neither does my other nor do my boys. They don’t know what Zelda is. They are big gamers. We have Wii, Xbox, and PS5 in our house. They grew up Mario Carting. Our family wasn’t going to miss Mario bros. Our family wouldn’t even talk of Zelda movie. Are we everyone? Of course not. But I think we are pretty representative of multiple generation families that aren’t fully entrenched in the gaming world that made up a HUGE segment of the Mario box office that wouldn’t materialize for Zelda.

I guess ultimately the proof is in the pudding. If you’re right there’s no way the studio doesn’t make Zelda. Even if they think it hits 50% of Mario they make it. If they don’t, they likely don’t agree with your assessment. If they do, I guess we see how it performs. If it’s something you’re excited about, I hope they make it for your entertainment.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Let me put it to you this way: I am not a gamer. My sig other isn’t a gamer. Neither of us were even slightly gamers as kids. We know all about Mario bros. We recognize the characters, etc. I have played Zelda before. I have no idea what Link to the Past is, neither does my other nor do my boys. They don’t know what Zelda is. They are big gamers. We have Wii, Xbox, and PS5 in our house. They grew up Mario Carting. Our family wasn’t going to miss Mario bros. Our family wouldn’t even talk of Zelda movie. Are we everyone? Of course not. But I think we are pretty representative of multiple generation families that aren’t fully entrenched in the gaming world that made up a HUGE segment of the Mario box office that wouldn’t materialize for Zelda.

I guess ultimately the proof is in the pudding. If you’re right there’s no way the studio doesn’t make Zelda. Even if they think it hits 50% of Mario they make it. If they don’t, they likely don’t agree with your assessment. If they do, I guess we see how it performs. If it’s something you’re excited about, I hope they make it for your entertainment.
I feel sorry for you.

:D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I named my son Lincoln partially because I can call him Linc for short.
Wait, he wasn't named after the guy from The Mod Squad?

Clarence Williams III as Linc Hayes:

You must be registered for see images attach

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Zelda isn't as big as Mario but I think you might be underestimating the reach too. The franchise has been around almost as long. Ocarina of Time is routinely listed as one of the top games ever. Breath of the Wild (the last game) has sold close to 30m copies and the sequel to it comes out next month. It's going to be huge too. Most of the engineering staff at work has already said that they feel a cold coming on. ;)

The other thing that Zelda has going for it over Mario when it comes to making a movie is that it has a story line that could be translated to the big screen. I could see it opening slower but then having a little more legs due to that.