The Suns flying under the radar

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
It would seem as if the Suns have lost a share of the national media attention to the Boston Celtics. You don't hear about the Suns being talked about as much nationally, and some have teams such as the Rockets and Jazz ranked higher than them. I don't think the expectations for them are as high as they have been in the past.

Do you think this is a good thing? I, for one, do. I think it would be great if the Suns could fly under the radar for most of the year, much like the Spurs did last year when people wrote them off to being too old and slow. They went about their business, and turned it on late. I'm not comparing the two teams here, but I don't think the pressure is as high when you're not the focal point of every national media's coverage of the NBA.

The Suns have been struggling a bit to find their chemistry, and working players back into the lineup. They've lacked consistent effort and energy through the first 9 games of the season. The positive here, is that the Suns are still 7-2, and have one of the best early season records in the league. Last year I thought they played much better out of the gates, and started 1-5. They're still nowhere close to the potential they have as a team, but are finding ways to win games until that happens.

Let's hope the Suns stay under that radar all year. I think it's good for them.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that it is a great thing.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
i think this team performs alot better when everyone is doubting them. just look at that amare-less suns team a couple years ago.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I dont see them as flying under the radar at all, anytime there's a conversation of the best teams they are quickly mentioned.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
... some have teams such as the Rockets and Jazz ranked higher than them.

What makes you believe we are better than the Jazz?

Here is a better question - What have the Suns done to deserve to be on the radar? They aren't winning games convincingly. They didn't make any moves in the off season for a net improvement. They haven't won jack squat ever, and look to lose again this year.

Again, what have the Suns done to deserve top billing in the national media?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is a better question - What have the Suns done to deserve to be on the radar? They aren't winning games convincingly. They didn't make any moves in the off season for a net improvement. They haven't won jack squat ever, and look to lose again this year.

The Suns are 8th in the league in points differential (And that is with the Laker Blowout). They are winning games convincingly. You just won't let yourself see it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston is a rediculous +17.14 in point differential. They also limit opponents to 38.9% shooting. That's craziness. Everyone should be under them at this point in the season.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Boston is a rediculous +17.14 in point differential. They also limit opponents to 38.9% shooting. That's craziness. Everyone should be under them at this point in the season.
They are really destroying teams, but they've played all east coast teams except for 1 game against Denver (which they won easily). Their only close game was against Toronto and they won that in overtime by 3pts.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
The Suns are 8th in the league in points differential (And that is with the Laker Blowout). They are winning games convincingly. You just won't let yourself see it.

The Suns have played ONE team that will make the playoffs at the end of the year (Orlando)... their results should be much higher than 8th. I guess one could say that Miami will turn it around... so possibly two teams.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Suns have played ONE team that will make the playoffs at the end of the year (Orlando)... their results should be much higher than 8th. I guess one could say that Miami will turn it around... so possibly two teams.
Are you forgetting about the Bulls, Cavs & Lakers? Even the Hawks & Bobcats have a chance to make the playoffs in the east.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know we haven't played any of the top 6 opponents for us yet this year (SA, Dallas, Houston, Utah, Boston and Detroit), but we can only win against the teams we've played so far. We need to use this easier part of our schedule to get guys into shape & healthy and get our chemistry together as a team and I think they're doing that.

Don't forget that we also played 7 games in 10 days to start the season and that's not easy no matter what the quality of the opposition is.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

See this is what I mean by setting maximum expectations. If you had said "We will be 7-2 at the start of the season" and that is with Bell, Amare, Barbosa, and Diaw all being dinged up...we would have been happy with that.

At some point you need to just relax and enjoy the games. At the end of the season what will matter is our winning percentage.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Are you forgetting about the Bulls, Cavs & Lakers? Even the Hawks & Bobcats have a chance to make the playoffs in the east.

I don't think the Hawks or the Bobcats will make it... I am also dubious of the Cavs. I forget about Chicago, they will make 'em. Keep in mind, we are talking about East coast teams not named Celtics... making the playoffs doesn't mean a whole lot and nearly any has a chance.

Lakers? Are you kidding? In the West, the shoe-ins are: Spurs, Dallas, Utah, Denver, Phoenix, Houston, and the Hornets. Lakers have to pass Warriors, Clippers, and Blazers... all three are arguably better than the Lakers.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
See this is what I mean by setting maximum expectations.

Hey Chris - I didn't set the expectations, the Team HAS! The entire Organization! "Eyes on the Prize"... Nash, Amare and others constantly talk about 'Championship'. Don't blame me for buying into it. The had me at hello... now I am wondering how they are going to fulfill that expectation.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

First off, I never said we were or weren't better than the Jazz. I'm referring to the national media, who last year, never lumped anyone with us, Dallas, or SA.

Second of all, they are still one of the better teams in the West, no doubt. Sure they made moves in the offseason that disappointed many of us, me included, but they are still one of the top teams in the West. You put this Suns team against any of the teams in the West in a 7 game series, and SA would be the only team I don't feel like we can beat. Maybe Utah.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I dont see them as flying under the radar at all, anytime there's a conversation of the best teams they are quickly mentioned.
I'm not saying they have fallen off the map, but they aren't getting the attention this year like they did last. Last year many picked them to win it all and they were ripe with anticipation for them to have Amare back coming off a year where they made the WCF's without him. They were all over their winning streaks, and many thought that was the year they'd win it all.

You don't see that as much this season, especially since teams have improved in the Western Conference, and with the Big 3 in Boston grabbing most of the media attention. Though they may still be listed with the top teams in the NBA, the national media expectations aren't as high on them this year.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the Hawks or the Bobcats will make it... I am also dubious of the Cavs. I forget about Chicago, they will make 'em. Keep in mind, we are talking about East coast teams not named Celtics... making the playoffs doesn't mean a whole lot and nearly any has a chance.

Lakers? Are you kidding? In the West, the shoe-ins are: Spurs, Dallas, Utah, Denver, Phoenix, Houston, and the Hornets. Lakers have to pass Warriors, Clippers, and Blazers... all three are arguably better than the Lakers.
Every year the Lakers seem to find a way to sneak into the playoffs and grab a 7th or 8th seed so I won't count them out unless they trade Kobe for crap. As far as the east teams, I agree that they might not be good playoff teams, but your argument was that we've only played 1 team that will make the playoffs so far.

If you take out the Lakers game blowout, our Point Differential is +9.625 and that includes the loss to the Hawks (without the Hawks game we're a +12.29) so we have been dominating teams outside of our 2 bad games and that's pretty good considering all of our injuries (Amare knee, Bell ankle, Diaw both ankles, LB ribs, Skinner ankle, Diaw tampon stuck in butt).

EDIT: Also I'm not sold on the Hornets yet. That team has had a ton of trouble keeping guys healthy. I want to see how they do against better competition because ,just like us, they haven't played much good competition so far. The lost to the Spurs and beat the Lakers & Denver, but the rest of the teams they've played have been Portland 2x (lost 1), Philly 2x, Sacramento & NJ.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are really destroying teams, but they've played all east coast teams except for 1 game against Denver (which they won easily). Their only close game was against Toronto and they won that in overtime by 3pts.

uh, isn't that true of us also?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah their schedule has been about as easy as ours. They played 1 tough team in Denver and we've played 1 tough team in Orlando and the Lakers who also have a winning record.

I wasn't trying to compare them to us or our record, I was just saying that I want to see how they do against the Spurs, Mavs, Jazz, Pistons, Rockets, & Suns before judging how good they are. Besides, the east only has 3 teams with winning records right now (Boston, Detroit & Orlando) and the West has 9 teams above .500.

Last edited:

nowagimp

Reaction score
See this is what I mean by setting maximum expectations. If you had said "We will be 7-2 at the start of the season" and that is with Bell, Amare, Barbosa, and Diaw all being dinged up...we would have been happy with that.

At some point you need to just relax and enjoy the games. At the end of the season what will matter is our winning percentage.

You are right chris, its very early and the suns started the season banged up, and still are. Also, skinner has barely had any time to integrate, and he has looked pretty good, hope he continues to improve his contributions. Hill is really coming around. He made a statement last night about settling too much for 3's, so he's definitely on the right track. He also created shots for others when Nash had some difficulty against multiple defenders. I am excited about hill's contribution, whoever says he's not a serious upgrade is fooling themselves. The chemistry needs work, particularly between diaw and amare. It seems like Boris disappears voluntarily when Amare is in the game, the suns need to get by that problem. When amare left in the 4th quarter last night, diaw came alive. I think they may have been a better team after amare left(cringe). Diaw has to be aggressive for this team to be competitive against the best teams. There is plenty of time, but I sure would like to see some of the bench guys get more playing time.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The chemistry needs work, particularly between diaw and amare. It seems like Boris disappears voluntarily when Amare is in the game, the suns need to get by that problem. When amare left in the 4th quarter last night, diaw came alive. I think they may have been a better team after amare left(cringe). Diaw has to be aggressive for this team to be competitive against the best teams. There is plenty of time, but I sure would like to see some of the bench guys get more playing time.

I thought our team was really only competitive when Amare & Nash were on the floor last night through the 1st 3 qtrs. Diaw stepped up in the 4th qtr, but her was hoorible through the 1st 3 qtrs. I actually joked with friends about how I could see a Bulls jersey underneath his Suns jersey. Boris is the only person holding himself back and it really doesn't have anything to do with Amare, half the time they're not in the game together anyways. He's too damn passive and it looked like the coaches or his teammates finally lit a fire under his ass in the 4th qtr last night. It was great to see that Boris again, but he has to bring that effort all the time for us to have our best team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ainge has done a great job putting that team together. The Garnett, Pierce, Allen combo is a truly great trio. They have to be favorites right now barring injury.

Garnett is also getting a chance to prove how truly great he is. I would have loved to have him here, but I will admit, I vastly underestimated what his impact would be.

Having him instead of Shawn on this team. . . well, there would be passion overflowing and running everywhere in this town.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson