DCU: The Suicide Squad (aka Suicide Squad 2)

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of a more stupid, idiotic looking movie. I thought up Megaforce, but no, Megaforce is The Godfather compared to this.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Gunn and Robbie are the only reasons I'll watch this. Looks funny, at least.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The new trailer looks decent. It might actually be a good DC movie which is something I didn't expect to say. The WB and DC really need to get their act together. It's amazing how much they've mismanaged the DCverse. The leaks from the Flash looked terrible.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, the latest trailer doesn't look very good. Of course the trailers for the last Suicide Squad looked really good and that movie was hot garbage.

I guess I'd be more inclined to see this if it were better explained whether it was a reboot or sequel to the last one. Seems like both, which is odd for a film that is 4-5 years old and exists in a cinematic universe, no matter how poorly established that universe is.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see the first Suicide Squad? I'm curious which you think is better if you've seen both.
I did, and it was far better than this one. That's not to say it was really good itself. I liked aspects of it. I really liked Will Smith/Deadshot and Harley. Diablo was a total badass, as was Waller (in both actually). I hated Leto's Joker though. So awful. The story in the first one was better too. This time, they face off against a space starfish? Really?? I realize it might be a hip comic nerd thing that I don't know about and that's okay, but from my viewpoint it's still stupid.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did, and it was far better than this one. That's not to say it was really good itself. I liked aspects of it. I really liked Will Smith/Deadshot and Harley. Diablo was a total badass, as was Waller (in both actually). I hated Leto's Joker though. So awful. The story in the first one was better too. This time, they face off against a space starfish? Really?? I realize it might be a hip comic nerd thing that I don't know about and that's okay, but from my viewpoint it's still stupid.

Appreciate it. I really liked Will Smith in the first and Diablo was probably the only character I got invested in. I also couldn't stand Leto's Joker. Whenever he came on screen I wanted to leave the theater. The story was ridiculous in its own way but it had some decent performances.

I'm not sure when ill watch this one but I was curious how it would compare.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoop, you might dig it and if so, cool. But personally I'm glad I didn't spend anything on it.

(besides, I just turned 50 so I'm sure I'm getting needlessly ornery. I need to buy a lawn, stat!)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoop, you might dig it and if so, cool. But personally I'm glad I didn't spend anything on it.

(besides, I just turned 50 so I'm sure I'm getting needlessly ornery. I need to buy a lawn, stat!)

I wouldn't watch it if I had to pay but being on HBO Max, why not. I wasn't very optimistic about it anyways and hearing from someone with similar thoughts on the first film has helped lower any sort of expectations I may have had for this. None of the trailers for this made me think it would be good but I figured it would make for a decent movie night at home, even if its not very good overall.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wasn’t great, wasn’t terrible. Took some unnecessary turns that just seemed like wasted space. Oddly my favorite character was Weasle.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic. Or should I say, fantabulous. Just good, dark, goofball fun through and through. Didn't give away too much in the credits/spoilers either. James Gunn is absolutely on fire.

Folks that didn't like it? To each their own. Thinking the garbage show that is the first movie was somehow better? Bwahahahahaha!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to likely be in the minority but Suicide Squad 2 sucked. The first one was better. It was beyond silly even for this type of movie. It had a few funny moments and once again Harley was the best thing about the movie.

Half the characters were not very likable, the plot beyond stupid and the fact it’s really not a sequel just seemed pointless.

This was a total failure and a disappointment from director James Gunn. I am never going to get my time back.

Movie was utter garbage.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I am going to likely be in the minority but Suicide Squad 2 sucked. The first one was better. It was beyond silly even for this type of movie. It had a few funny moments and once again Harley was the best thing about the movie.

Half the characters were not very likable, the plot beyond stupid and the fact it’s really not a sequel just seemed pointless.

This was a total failure and a disappointment from director James Gunn. I am never going to get my time back.

Movie was utter garbage.
:oops:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fell asleep halfway through.

was the scene where they showed up at the Freedom Fighter compound and that group met up with Flagg. That felt cheap.

The time jumps at the beginning could have been done better. Normally I don't like when a film tells you too much but it felt like this was being deliberately vague to avoid being the first film thst beat you over the head with needless exposition.

I think mentioning the first film wouldn't have been awful either. Clearly this was a continuation of the program and noting that while mentioning what a mess the groups inception was would have been fine and allowed for some meta commentary. Perhaps those with strong DCEU allegiances would have taken it the wrong way since Gunn really made his name with Marvel but the feud between those 2 companies is more in their heads than anywhere else.

I think both versions are bad. Its a great concept that would work well for a TV series but it seems 2 quality, albeit very different, filmmakers have struggled to adapt it into a good movie and I think that says something. They are doing a Peacemaker series for HBO Max that Gunn is overseeing with a lot of the cast from this reprising their roles but I'm not sure how that will pan out. Peacemaker (John Cena) was entertaining in this for the most part but I didn't once think I needed more of that character in my life.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire Star Fish thing might be the stupidest thing I have ever seen on film. As much as I didn't like the bad guys from the first suicide squad I would take them in a heartbeat over Star Conqueror. It was so cartoony they should haves just used Patrick from Spongebob. It's ironic that the Thinker is the same actor who played Doctor Who because that entire part of the story line was straight out of a "B-ish" Doctor who storyline. The Thinker by the way was completely botched. The 3rd world country cliche bad guys? What a complete waste of a movie for James Gunn.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idris Elba was absolutely wasted in this. They gave him nothing to work with in this. I thought they were going somewhere with his character after the early scene with his daughter but they didn't properly follow that up.

I've read he was originally going to replace Will Smith as Deadshot but they decided to change the character to allow Will to return later but they didn't spend any time fleshing out the new character and I wouldn't be surprised if a good amount of people think he was Deadshot.