DCU: The Suicide Squad (aka Suicide Squad 2)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who said anything like a lead character like Harry Potter? LOL. How the heck did you get there? So someone has to be a lead character to nail a part?!!? You seem to be ignoring that Idris also didn't want to stomp on Will's portrayal either. What part of the character did Will not get right?

Your second point? Well I am never going to get the Patrick Star ending out of my head.....EVER. So remembering is not always a good thing. That might be the silliest thing I have seen on screen since the walking chicken leg house in Hellboy.

I'd add that the Starfish ending was made even worse by a joke earlier in the film about how starfish is another name for b-hole. So when the giant starfish shows up all I could think about was the team fighting a giant b-hole. That added to the absurdity and not in a good way.

I like movies that don't take themselves too seriously. That wasn't the issue. This one just failed to find the right balance.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Will Smith, but I'm not sure anyone "nailed" their parts in the first movie. Seems like you're treating him like he's playing Harry Potter and nobody has any right to play the character other than him.
Viola Davis' Amanda Waller.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd add that the Starfish ending was made even worse by a joke earlier in the film about how starfish is another name for b-hole. So when the giant starfish shows up all I could think about was the team fighting a giant b-hole. That added to the absurdity and not in a good way.

I like movies that don't take themselves too seriously. That wasn't the issue. This one just failed to find the right balance.
This. DC has been too dark at times. Taking itself too seriously. Only the Nolan films have managed to do that right. The Marvel movies have balanced things brilliantly. I get why they hired JG. I get what they were trying to do. The execution was poor and it’s like they overreacted and turned up the silly to Looney Tunes level with the weasel, cliche cartoony 3rd world bad guys and the Patrick Star ending sequence.

Even some of the bad guys like Nathan Fillion’s character power to detach and slap with his arms would have been just enough in moderation. All together? Way over the top. It’s almost as if they wrote all these gags first then tried to write a movie around it.